Pool excavation Tomball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
    I know you have sense enough to ignore most of the above nonsense ....

No, your insurance company won't 'walk away'

"Also insured" -- lol

And following -- I'm with you all the way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
      I know you have sense enough to ignore most of the above nonsense ....

No, your insurance company won't 'walk away'

"Also insured" -- lol

And following -- I'm with you all the way!
      Im with you too. Get some builders insurance and learn as you go. If i would have had the time id have done my whole pool. I built my own house without a builder. Just a little american want to. [emoji106] [emoji6]

Comment

Modern method gunite was who did my pebble sheen and i was impressed with their operation. Very professional.

Comment

Originally posted by the-butcher View Post
          Modern method gunite was who did my pebble sheen and i was impressed with their operation. Very professional.
          Thanks!

I'm surprised at how many ppl think this is a horrible idea. If something goes wrong with the gunite, you think Aquatic Pools (whatever) sends a guy out to fix it? NO, they call the gunite company. The pool company coordinates and makes $$$$$. I'm completely sure that I can coordinate and save $$$$$$

Comment

Originally posted by Swampa View Post
            Thanks!

I'm surprised at how many ppl think this is a horrible idea. If something goes wrong with the gunite, you think Aquatic Pools (whatever) sends a guy out to fix it? NO, they call the gunite company. The pool company coordinates and makes $$$$$. I'm completely sure that I can coordinate and save $$$$$$
            Exactly. I put way more money into my house and i jumped in feet first. A pool is a hole in the ground with rebar and some gunite. Throw in a little plumbing some electrical and some stone -deck work. Like i said i wish id have had the time to build my whole pool.Good luck with the build. Ill be following.

Comment

Now we are going to need before, during and after pics!

I'll also be sure and tell the boys you are going to put in a rather large water slide![emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

Originally posted by the-butcher View Post
                Exactly. I put way more money into my house and i jumped in feet first. A pool is a hole in the ground with rebar and some gunite. Throw in a little plumbing some electrical and some stone -deck work. Like i said i wish id have had the time to build my whole pool.Good luck with the build. Ill be following.

Thanks! Also to the guys with Pm's, I'll respond soon. Cooking dinner for my wife tonight!

Comment

Originally posted by Swampa View Post
                  Thanks!

As stated earlier, you probably will not get contractor pricing, expect to pay 10-30 % more from most subs, unless they are not busy and need the work,if they are not busy that should be a red flag as well because it is booming out there, also the subs are not going to put you at the top of their list when you have a problem, they will be too busy catering to their builders that give them numerous jobs, the subs refer owner/builders as one hit wonders. I am not trying to talk you out of it, I am sure you can build your own pool, I just do not see a great savings, thats all, good luck with it and post some pics.

Comment

I'm following, and planning to do the same. Hoping to start fall 2017 for some extra savings. For those against this did you build one yourself with horrible results? Also, i don't see how even saving 20-30% is insignificant. That's easily 18-20k on a pool. Significant chunk of coin in my world.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
                      I'm following, and planning to do the same. Hoping to start fall 2017 for some extra savings. For those against this did you build one yourself with horrible results? Also, i don't see how even saving 20-30% is insignificant. That's easily 18-20k on a pool. Significant chunk of coin in my world.

You are not going to save 20-30 percent unless the subs give you contractor pricing, most will not because if their builders find out they may get canned. You still have design cost, permits plus your time over seeing the project, I am telling you, I have been in this business since 1984, if you build a 70K dollar pool I would be very surprised if you saved 7K, then you have to put up with the mistakes you made and also worry about getting subs back out to fix things. It all sounds good but there just is not that much profit in a pool, these builders do numbers so they do ok when they build 40-80 pools a year, now there are some builders who do really high end pools, they make some money on those but we are talking 150K and up. Maybe the Houston market is different but the two operations I own in Dallas / Fort Worth and Austin / San antonio are that way, good luck to all you owner builders, hope it works out well for you.

Comment

Please don't think I'm being argumentative but I can't make this all add up. How would a pool company know what a sub charged me or even that they did the work? Based on the offices, showrooms, and jacked up F250s I see around here the pool companies make a dam sight more than $7k a pool.

Comment

Please don't think I'm being argumentative but I can't make this all add up. How would a pool company know what a sub charged me or even that they did the work? Based on the offices, showrooms, and jacked up F250s I see around here the pool companies make a dam sight more than $7k a pool.

I'm with you on this one. Let's use a roofing contractor for example. Let's say the free estimate comes in at $15k. What is the percentage of labor and material cost that is estimated into that $15k? I realize that insurance and other cost are absorbed in to the quote but based on the trucks that drive into the neighborhoods to give out free estimates I highly doubt the contractors are hurting and not making 10% or so they claim in profit.

Comment

The pool contractor is not going to know what you are getting charged.

But every trade subcontractor on the planet knows that working direct for a homeowner is a pain in the *** that will cost them money. Also, there is no volume in it. So, they charge more.

Comment

After 100 days of pain and agony with Blue Bonnet Custom Pools out of Waller I cut them the final check. I would strongly suggest NOT using them if you go the conventional route. We had issues with the contractor in every phase of the build. Amazing how he was never on site for important things like the dig, gunite, concrete deck, plumbing, or pebbletech. Not to mention his part time crews using the neighbors as their personal toilet.

Modern Method did our pebbletech, I didn't have any problems with them - only that the contractor forgot to get them the final plans that had a spa. I paid the extra on this since the contractor blamed the extra charge on me making the pool a couple inches deeper.

Finally gave up on the punch list and fixed things myself.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                                The pool contractor is not going to know what you are getting charged.

But every trade subcontractor on the planet knows that working direct for a homeowner is a pain in the *** that will cost them money. Also, there is no volume in it. So, they charge more.
                                Not if you pay cash and don't need a receipt. Let's face it. If the subs can do a solid cash job on the side for the OP then he can get a good deal out of them. He's gonna save some cash being the contractor for this project just like I saved cash by being the contractor on a couple of my houses. Building pools and houses can't be that hard, I've seen some of the people that do it.

Comment

Working...
                                X