99 Year Old WW2 Combat Veteran!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

99 Year Old WW2 Combat Veteran!

My wife and I had a "rare" day off together today, so we took a Jeep ride in the country. We stopped for lunch in Hico, yep, where the best home made pies in Texas are made. The "café" was full with a substantial line of folks waiting. This elderly gentleman was sitting at a table for 6 by himself in his electric wheel chair.

The manager asked..."If you don't mind, you folks can sit with Harry at his table?" Well hell, we said yes of course and it was a lunch to remember!

Harry is 99 years young and sharp as a tack! He served under Generals Patton and Bradley during WW2 in Southern France. All he said was he was a COMBAT VETERAN and I could only imagine what he experienced?!

I did NOT ask additional questions about his service although as a military history buff....I sure wanted to! As we talked, I mentioned to Harry that our youngest son was in the Army and currently a NCO "Sniper" section leader. I asked Harry if I could take his picture to send to my Army son...his reaction, "just a minute" then he put his WW2 Veteran hat on.

To finish this story....we paid for Harry's meal, he was surprised but humble, and as we were leaving, he reached for my hand and said...."thank your son for his service." Lord, I have to admit we left with some happy tears and I was so thankful to meet this American Hero...God Bless you Harry.....
    Attached Files

God bless America. Thank you for that. I teared up a little reading. Happy heart here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The ultimate generation.

Comment

Real hero there

Comment

I wish Harry could beat the chit out of kaepernick!

Comment

Great way to spend your day off. Thank you for sharing.

T

Comment

I bet that was a great experience for you and your wife. I too thank your son for his service, but my heart will always be with the greatest generation of men like Harry. My granddad served under Patton in Southern France as well. I'd buy ole Harry's lunch for the rest of his days if you'll tell me where he eats. I'm humbled to even share the same air as these old heroes.

Comment

Here it is....

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                I bet that was a great experience for you and your wife. I too thank your son for his service, but my heart will always be with the greatest generation of men like Harry. My granddad served under Patton in Southern France as well. I'd buy ole Harry's lunch for the rest of his days if you'll tell me where he eats. I'm humbled to even share the same air as these old heroes.
                Kofee Kup Café in Hico. If anyone ever has a chance to stop there and eat, it's a MIX of Cowboys, Bikers, Tourists...just about anyone you can imagine.

God Bless your Granddad...my late Father was also a WW2 Veteran as well. One thing I did not mention...Harry told Susan and I he gives EVERY employee here $100 when they graduate from HS. Harry also said he has given "2," if I recall correctly $5,000 when they graduated from college? All I know is when he was told his meal was paid for, he pulled a $20 from his billfold and left it as a tip for all! Oh, several times Harry called the "employees" his family..all he has left! Well, he has 2 more to his family and all we can hope for is he's there next time we visit!

Comment

Yep

Originally posted by Bowtech38 View Post
                  Real hero there
                  We agree....

Comment

Greatness!

Comment

Hands down the best thing that I've read all weekend!
                      Thanks so much for sharing!

Comment

Awesome! True hero!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome story. One of the few left from the Greatest Generation. Both my grandfathers were WWll vets.

Comment

Great post!

Comment

The Greatest Generation.
                              Kuma...Thank you for your sons service and thank the Lord for folks like Harry.

Comment

Working...
                              X