Moultrie XA7000I, Quick Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moultrie XA7000I, Quick Review

Did not see a review so figured I would throw one up quick. Figured online for $129 + $50 rebate, so for $80 it is worth a shot. When I opened the box you could register your camera for an extra year of warranty, covering 3 years.

But set up was fairly easy, pictures only send through the App and email which ever you prefer. Recommended is an 8 GB class or smaller 10 SD card. Do not use a 32, not sure why but, that was my initial problem.

But, initially I have been having problems with the pictures sending. Pictures tend to send to my phone 5-10 minutes after they were taken. Moultrie's CS has been great and has helped me. But, had to reformat my SD card a couple times now that camera has been working pretty good.

After getting the pictures sending issues worked out. The battery life has been the biggest issue I have had. My camera has only sent 319 images on this set of batteries and has been out for less than a week. Battery life is already down to 24%, 12 batteries has lasted me a week. Brand new batteries that they recommend to use. Not sure if it is just not reading the percentage correctly or not. But, Moultrie stated that it has been working hard because there is a lot of activity. 319 pictures is not alot of activity compared to my other cell cameras battery life. 12 batteries every 2 weeks will not work for me. Anybody has this issue with their camera?

While I do like the covert cameras better. Covert sends them within minutes and has better picture quality. As I will sometimes get 10 pictures at once from the Moultrie. Some kinks to work out, but overall I am happy now that it is working like it should. For the price the camera's are not a bad deal at all, but you get what you pay for. Also attached the cost of the picture plans. Which are not the cheapest.

Attached some pics of the app and some the camera has taken.
    Attached Files

I had 2. Had Bc someone stole one off a tree 10’ up with a cable lock on it... I rand one cam for a month straight and over 1500 pics. No battery issues. Still says 100%. It does lag at times on sending pics though. And they are compressed so they are kind of fuzzy but I can request a high res if I see something I want to get a clearer view of. I will say that running the app tanked my cell data on my phone. I went through 16 gb of cell data on my phone in 6 days while on a hunt checking the app periodically through the day every day and night. To combat this, I just deleted the app and run everything though the internet browser on my phone. I do wish the cams were smaller and more compact. I’d still like to try a spartan though as this cam was my first use of any type of cell cam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I bought two a couple of weeks ago just to give a them a try. I have been a covert customer since they came out and run four coverts as well. Two black ops and two new E1’s. I don’t care for the E1’s at all. My older coverts need to be upgraded but their customer service is not what it use to be. ( I think they have outgrown their capacity) I have also noticed my coverts seem to spook deer more than some of my others. I had a cheep wild game camera on a feeder and when I pulled the card it had a tun of pics including some mature bucks. I moved a covert black ops that was on a feeder that had nothing coming to it , and after a week they stopped coming. I am looking at switching to the cuddelink system before next season. I have noticed a lag time on the Moultrie’s, and have had battery issues with the coverts as well.

Comment

I have one out and just bought a secknd one. I’ve been using Energizer Lithum batteries and they seem to last a good while. Course i have it set to download any pics it takes only twice a day. They say the more you have it send pics the faster the batteries run out

Comment

I bought two of them. They worker ok at the start and have begun to have issues. One camera will not get a pic at night. It’s just a black screen. I did the reset that everyone recommended but it didn’t work. I’ll have to send it in. I did it with the first camera and it worked. My second camera just quit. I think the batteries must have died. They said 100% 3 days ago and now 50%. Hasn’t sent a pic in 2-3 days. Mine have been out maybe a month. Last weekend I set out a Cuddelink system. I put out 6 cameras and 2 repeaters. So far it’s working and I am going to see if it works. I have read everything I can find and it seems like every cellular camera has its issues.

Comment

These are recent pics from my camera that works. Nighttime ones are just black. Daytime are good. Setup is easy and app is great. Cameras seem iffy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have 3 all work well with no complaints.

Are you saying getting a pic 5-10 mins later is too slow? I can't imagine why unless your intent is to run over and kill a pig or something when a pic comes in.

How is your signal? Trying for a long time to send pics may be eating your batteries.

I have run lithiums and cheap rayovacs. I will continue using the rayovacs. I am getting sreveral months out of them. If they are on bait I will turn the delay to slow pics down.

Comment

To save battery life, dont have it send pictures immediately. Try once or twice a day and then you can always change it back if you want.

Ive had a couple issues with mine and am going through the SD reformat right now. My take is neutral at the moment. Easy setup, started working well, cheap, but the sensor is very sensitive (lots of moving shadow pics), fewer sent pics off beyond low res, reformatting SD cards.

Comment

That's not too bad for the price. To fix the battery life issue get a reaktor solar panel from elusive wildlife. It has lithium batteries inside of it and outputs 6 or 12 volts and comes with the cables so you can plug it into the camera and never have to change out your batteries. I have 38 cell cameras running right now and they all have these panels on them and I never have to touch them which is awesome!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

We have 2 of the verizon models out and so far I dont have any complaints. I out the lithium Energizers in mine and it kept saying 100% and then boom it dropped to 60% and then stopped sending me pics a few days later because the batteries died. I know my lithium battery tools are full blast and then nothing so I figure it's the same for AA lithiums. That was after sending over 6000 pics in a couple months time set to send immediately. I bought a 3rd one on the academy black Friday sale but havent put it out yet

Comment

Does anyone know how to change the times the pics are downloaded to the app? I have 2 cameras and one downloads twice a day at 1030 am and pm. The other one downloads at 1136am each day. Have no clue how 1136 was set as the time. Would like to get both of the. On a twice a day schedule at the same times

Comment

Comment

I have 2 out and a great land owner. He and I have fought and fought them. Battery issues, the ancient sd cards they require, shadow pictures. They both go in the trash January 20th.....

Got to be better cam's out there..................
                          Last edited by Johnny Dangerr; 12-16-2019, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
                            I have 2 out and a great land owner. He and I have fought and fought them. Battery issues, the ancient sd cards they require, shadow pictures. They both go in the trash January 20th.....

Let me add: Moultrie customer service has been great. I am sure every customer will have a different experiance. Where I hunt there is a hay field and a pecan orchard. For the price we got through the year.............

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post

I might be interested in them if yall really do wanna get rid of them when the time comes

Comment

Working...
                              X