Houston To Sonora

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Houston To Sonora

What’s the best route to Sonora from Houston? The traffic on I10 At Brookshire and then again out side of San Antonio is getting ridiculous. Never been 290 and was wondering who goes that way.

Either way has it’s pro’s and con’s. 290 has small towns Austin, and Fredericksburg to slow you down about the same as 10. I hunt out that way and usually just stick to 10.

Comment

I stick to 10 and do my best to leave very early to avoid those traffic issues. Came back home(Lumberton) from Sonora yesterday and took 9.5 hours. Holiday traffic in SA and Houston, wrecks on 10 near Columbus are what ate us up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Use 46 to skip San Antonio... Seguin to Boerne

Comment

The traffic around Katy Mills to Brookshire is crazy right now with the construction and then from Columbus to Brookshire is the same. Might look at coming home 290 on Saturday a see how it works out. We will be there for 9 days so I can relax before hand LOL!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
            Use 46 to skip San Antonio... Seguin to Boerne

That’s another one I have caught when I saw SA was bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

10 46 and anderson loop all all SUCK..and you feel like you just drove thru Houston in rush Hour 290 is pretty pleasant drive no faster just Lots of pretty country and lots of wildlife...and you don't feel wupped...We had to make 2 roundtrips to Calif a few months back..Anderson loop first and 46 second 10 third and daughter said lets try 290...it was best and only real Slow up was Fredicksberg area...But its kinda scenic anyway..All took about same TIME..

Comment

I hunt in Ozona & live in Magnolia area. The last few times I have travel 290 to Austin, 183 to Liberty Hill, 29 To Menard, and 190 to the lease. Even though I have to go through several small towns, this always to seem the fastest route

Comment

When I went Houston to El Paso 16x for grad school over 3 years I went I-10 to 46 to go around SA. Loved the country roads but don’t want to get behind grandpa going 30mph.

Comment

toss up really. depends on the road at the time. one lane traffic, crowds, on lookers at a crash other side of the road, sight see people. had a lease 36 miles west of Junction. I-10 6 hours from Houston. 290 was shorter but sometimes always took longer. either way a great view.

Comment

I10 to Seguin
                      Seguin to San Marcos
                      San Marcos to Blanco
                      Blanco to Luckenbach to 290 just east of Fredericksburg.
                      I hunt with guys from Houston.They say it's just as fast as traffic time in SA and a nice drive.I live in Wimberley and drive this way.I hunt east of Sonora and have done the trip in 2 hours .

Comment

I’ve been taking 290 probably the last 10 years. The people trying to pass you and cut over because 18 wheelers slowing traffic down on I-10. Along with the monotony of the drive I just can’t so it anymore. 290 does have the small towns, and a few slow down spots. It’s a more scenic drive overall.
                        290...21 to Bastrop...71 into Austin...290 all the way the to 10 close to Sagovia.
                        I would at least give it a shot. It’s more of personal preference anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by BrianG View Post
                          I’ve been taking 290 probably the last 10 years. The people trying to pass you and cut over because 18 wheelers slowing traffic down on I-10. Along with the monotony of the drive I just can’t so it anymore. 290 does have the small towns, and a few slow down spots. It’s a more scenic drive overall.
                          290...21 to Bastrop...71 into Austin...290 all the way the to 10 close to Sagovia.
                          I would at least give it a shot. It’s more of personal preference anyways.

How long do it take you to get to Sagovia?

Comment

Originally posted by Grant2 View Post
                            How long do it take you to get to Sagovia?

It’s usually 4-1/2 hrs from Cypress to Junction. So probably a little over 4 hrs.

Comment

I've done it just about every way there is I reckon, and it's never exactly the same way twice for me it seems... too many variables, but as long as I'm not in a terrible hurry the backroads are much more scenic and enjoyable than the interstate.

Comment

Working...
                              X