New Truck Decisions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Truck Decisions

So … with 66k miles my transmission decided it didn't want to play anymore in my 2017 GMC Sierra 1500. Being as this is not the first issue I've had with the truck (this is the fifth time it's been in for OEM repairs in 2 years) I've decided to get out of it and into something new.

I've owned Fords, Chevys, GMCs so I'm kind of indifferent on brands - just want something that's dependable and won't break down on me in 2 years. I really don't care for the new Silverado body style too much and have been looking at the Tundra TRD Pro, new F-150s or even the GMC AT4 (little hesitant to get into a new GMC right now). Would really like a F-250 or a 2500HD but can't justify the extra $ for the diesel.

Anyone care to share opinions of the newer, 2019-2020 trucks - the good, the bad and the ugly? My only reqs are crew cab & 4wd.

Thanks for any input.
    Last edited by BobbyJoe; 11-04-2019, 02:15 PM.

I had a Toyota Tundra at work. It was a beast and will last a long time. I think your repair savings will be offset by the high cost of gas consumption

Comment

I love my Tundra crew max. Had them all.

Comment

Anything but a GM product.

Comment

any truck is fine, you will get opinions all over the place.

If it was me I would fix the transmission, a WHOLE lot cheaper than a new truck

Comment

Toyota trucks are hard to beat.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
              any truck is fine, you will get opinions all over the place.

If it was me I would fix the transmission, a WHOLE lot cheaper than a new truck

This. Never understood why folks spend $40-$50k to fix a $1800 problem.

My 2002 F250 has 348,000 miles on it. I can put a whole new engine in it for $5000. I can put a built tranny in it for $3100. Why would I spend $70,000 on a new truck ?!?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post

My 2002 F250 has 348,000 miles on it. I can put a whole new engine in it for $5000. I can put a built tranny in it for $3100. Why would I spend $70,000 on a new truck ?!?!?

Agree completely. I am thinking about doing this to my 2007 Silverado. Can get a new built how I want it motor and transmission, installed, for around $9k. Not going to spend $70k on a new truck.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post

I agree to the max with this. But, if I was having constant different problems. Easier to split ways with the truck, but I only buy used trucks under $20K so have no dog in this fight lol.

Comment

Only difference is that this truck isn’t a 2002 F-250 that’s completely paid off and cruising at 350k miles. It’s a 2 year old truck that’s had to have both a-arms up front replaced, a bad torque converter, faulty wiring, new bushings and leaf springs in the rear, bad speakers, reprogramming of the transmission twice and now a blown transmission. But I should stay in the truck because it’s cheaper to fix all of those issues? Probably not.

But I do appreciate the replies. Really looking for what new trucks y’all like and why. If staying in this one was cheaper and less of a headache then I’d agree as well.

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyJoe View Post
                      Only difference is that this truck isn’t a 2002 F-250 that’s completely paid off and cruising at 350k miles. It’s a 2 year old truck that’s had to have both a-arms up front replaced, a bad torque converter, faulty wiring, new bushings and leaf springs in the rear, bad speakers, reprogramming of the transmission twice and now a blown transmission. But I should stay in the truck because it’s cheaper to fix all of those issues? Probably not.

But I do appreciate the replies. Really looking for what new trucks y’all like and why. If staying in this one was cheaper and less of a headache then I’d agree as well.

Sounds like you got a lemon. It’s hard now days all the trucks are so similar. I have a 2014 Chevy 1500 and I’ve been looking at the new dodges and the new f150s with the eco diesels. Just go drive all of them and see which is most comfortable.

Comment

66k miles OUCH!!! Yep, my Tundra with 450k is an all-star!!!! Never touched the engine and put in a transmission about 4 months ago.

Comment

Yeah you def got a lemon. In half ton, I don't think there is a wrong way to go. In half tons, I have only had GM's, and they have been fantastic. I would look at the AT4 if I didn't need a full length bed. I know its a roll of the dice, but I highly doubt you are going to get two crappy GMC's in a row.

Comment

Dodge Ram. My 2011 currently at 202K miles original tranny and engine with NO major issues whatsoever and I use the hell outta my truck.

Comment

I have really enjoyed my 2018 F150 5.0. My son bought a 2016 Tundra (work Truck) and he really likes it too. You are just gonna have to drive and find the one that fits you best.

Comment

Working...
                              X