No announcement yet.

Should be a lethal hit, right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forward- Quartering away pull that shot back 10 inches on a whitetail.

Comment

She may also have had that leg back, she isn't putting weight on it

Comment

Should have been shooting a Grim Reaper

In all seriousness deer should be dead with a field point.

Comment

Too far forward for quartering away! Have seen this happens numerous times.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
            Forward- Quartering away pull that shot back 10 inches on a whitetail.
            I had one this year slightly quartering away (about 15 degrees) from 12' high and hit about the 3rd rib from the back and centered top to bottom. The arrow came out just about the shoulder on the offside. I found the arrow and 5 drops of bubbly blood at 40 yds from impact. Never found more blood or the deer. These animals have an incredible will to live.

Doug

Comment

Ol girl got lucky. She gets a free pass from me from now on.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Can't answer that without pics from both sides. As others mentioned, probably was quartering away so to far forward.

Comment

Originally posted by splitfinger View Post
                    I had one this year slightly quartering away (about 15 degrees) from 12' high and hit about the 3rd rib from the back and centered top to bottom. The arrow came out just about the shoulder on the offside. I found the arrow and 5 drops of bubbly blood at 40 yds from impact. Never found more blood or the deer. These animals have an incredible will to live.

Doug
                    Sounds like you didn't find a dead deer.

Comment

I thought the same thing on this buck I shot opening weekend. 20 yards slight quarter away. 470gr total weight. 100gr Grim Reaper fixed blade. Shot him 3 weeks later and found 10" of arrow inside. The broadhead and 18" of arrow no where to be found and no pass through.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Too tight in the shoulder for a quartering away shot.
                        Aim for the exit.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian H View Post
                          If quartered away, probably was a little too far forward
                          This^^^^, probably a single lung, maybe no lung and slid behind the shoulder.

Comment

Man they are tough

Comment

Just bcause the doe was quartered away when she pulled the trigger, does not mean she was still quartered away when the arrow hit her!!!

Last January, I shot an axis doe that was hard quartered away at 10-11yds. The arrow hit the deer right about where I was aiming, and the deer ran off with the entire arrow exept the fletching sticking out the off side. I knew she was mine!!! I waited a bit, got out of the blind, and started trailing. About 100yds into it, I started to doubt what I thought I had seen happen. At about 150yds, I rounded a bush to see her standing there, still alive. I froze, and while trying to figure out what to do next (I had not brought my bow because I KNEW she would be dead), she fell over and died. Upon examination, I found that the arrow had indeed struck the deer right where I was aiming, but that she had done some kind of ninja move and the arrow exited a foot behind where it had entered, on a hard quartering away shot!!!! Anyone who would have seen the holes would have bet money that I had shot her on the exit side.

To this day, I am bewildered how it could have happened the way it did!!!

Bisch

Comment

Still in my mind they all seem to be lethal shots..... crazy stuff happens in the split second before and after the arrow arrives I imagine. Crazy how tough they are

Comment

Working...
                                X