No announcement yet.

A Coonhound moves to Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She also might have been a breeder. If so that would explain her behaver.

Comment

Thats an absolutely beautiful Walker...if I had the property to let one roam, I would have a couple. I grew up listening to Walkers and July's chasing fox and coyotes across southeast Texas...the sound of a pack of hounds hot on the tail of a coyote, is a song I would love to hear again

Comment

Moonshine hound

Comment

pretty dog! we just got a walker too a few weeks ago. She doesn't listen either, but is the nicest dog I've ever had. incredible with kids and strangers... just nice to everyone she meets. I hope to get her working soon to see what she's made of.
          Last edited by kyle1974; 12-04-2018, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Very cool story, awesome pup and great job of showing your wife!!!!

Comment

Congrats on the addition, Clark. Good looking hound..
              Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

Comment

Comment

Beautiful pup, and way to go giving her a home! Looks like her tail is happy in that last photo. What did ya'll name her?

Comment

Treeing walker for sure. I’ve had running walkers all my life. One thing about all walkers is they can be trained, but can also be very stubborn.

Comment

We had walkers when I was younger (deer dogs). They were good dogs, but like others have said, tended to work fast. In my opinion they’re a little too fast for deer hunting. Beagles wouldn’t push them as hard, but walkers ran GREAT races.

Comment

Props to you for taking her in!! Now, I’m no expert by any means, but I’ve watched a lot of animal planet. Based on that, I wouldn’t recommend a ecolller for her with her timid behavior. Go the positive reinforcement route

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                          Treeing Walker. Chasing coons and cougars are in their DNA. But she would probably work out a blood trail just fine after she knows what she's supposed to do. Take them boys coon hunting! It's a blast.
                          I'd prefer her to track deer.
                          But lowering my coon population would be great.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT3846.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	379.8 KB
ID:	24563232

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                          Oh man, that pup brings back memories for me!! first deer I ever shot ahead of dogs was shot ahead of a walker that looked just like that pup!! Always told my dad I wanted me one of those long-legged beagles!! That pup's shape and stance makes me think you got the real deal right there. She's no mut for sure. As old as she is now, you'll have to work her slowly with discipline FIRST before you try anything else. She didn't get the bonding she would have with you and the boys that she would have had she "grown up" to this point with y'all as a family member. That dog will do whatever you tell her to do once you and it learn to speak/understand the same language... It is just as important that you learn to understand what the pup is trying to tell you as what you are trying to tell the pup... Be careful with a training eCollar. Over-use or improper use of those things can break the spirit of any dog, especially a fast hunter like that.
                          Guarantee you that sucker's got a nose, so all you have to do is show it what you want it to look for... blood, coons, deer, you name it...
                          Good luck and please keep us posted! That will be an exciting project for you and the boys!!
                          The training eCollar I'm getting has a bark limiter, which is going to be needed to keep the peace, for my wife and neighbors.
                          Did I mention she is loud?

Originally posted by Texas Tracker View Post
                          She also might have been a breeder. If so that would explain her behaver.
                          That's a scenario I hadn't thought of.
                          And makes a lot of sense, given her general cluelessness about...everything.
                          She's young but looks like she's already had a litter of pups.
                          I've been spending an hour with her every evening and she's making good progress. It's great to see her opening up.
                          She's got a 2nd chance and you can tell she's excited, whether she makes a good tracking dog who knows.

Originally posted by kae006 View Post
                          Beautiful pup, and way to go giving her a home! Looks like her tail is happy in that last photo. What did ya'll name her?
                          Marbles, she's from Marble Valley Alabama.

I'll keep this thread updated with progress, good and bad.
                          Last edited by Clark; 12-05-2018, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Beautiful dog! My walker is as stubborn as they come, he knows what all his commands mean but usually chooses to ignore them.. that ecollar will be your best friend if she’s anything like mine.. the lowest setting usually gets his attention now and it’s not but a very slight tingle but he knows it only gets stronger until he obeys.. yeah I tried the collar on myself before I put it on my dog[emoji16] it doesn’t get painful until around the 3 setting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you decide you want to breed her I have a registered male that needs a girlfriend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Cool looking coon dog! Good luck with training her.

Comment

Working...
                                X