No announcement yet.

Rivers to kayak.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The city of Luling offers a shuttle and you can bring your own Kayak. Not sure if that is close enough. Great RV park close by.

Comment

Ttt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Robertt View Post
        The city of Luling offers a shuttle and you can bring your own Kayak. Not sure if that is close enough. Great RV park close by.
        What river would one be floating while utilizing the Luling shuttle service?

Comment

In Texas:
          - Brazos below PK dam (ck water flows first, it can be sloooowww)
          - Brazos below Whitney dam (same comment as above)
          -Guadalupe above Canyon lake (perhaps my favorite)
          - Llano river
          -Medina river

Oklahoma:
          - Upper Mountain Fork (above Beavers Bend lake)
          - Glover river - upper part
          - Illinois river

Arkansas:
          - Ouachita river
          - Mulberry river (another favorite)
          - Caddo river
          - Buffalo river
          - Cossatot river (can be challenging at higher levels)

These are rivers we've canoed/kayaked on over time. Some are obviously better than others so do your homework. The two that stand out as best fishing and scenery are the Upper Guadalupe in Texas and the Mulberry near Ft. Smith in Arkansas.

I highly recommend the book: Texas Rivers and Rapids by Bob Narramore

Comment

My bucket list is devils

Comment

I paddled the Brazos below PK a few years back, heavy emphasis on the paddle part. We did the 20 mile over night.There were stretches where if you stop paddling the wind would blow you back up stream...I will never try that stretch again unless the water is flowing pretty **** good. Fishing was decent but not good enough to make up for the brutal paddling.

Comment

Many years ago during a wet spring we did canoes from San Marcos to Luling on the San Marcos. Easy paddling and very nice over a 2 day ride with overnight stay on a mid-river sandbar. But there's been so much development in that area since that I'm not sure it would be the same nowadays? Quarterback nailed it with That Texas Rivers and Rapids book. Excellent resource. Now I do most my paddling in salty water. Go get'em!

Comment

Originally posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
                  My bucket list is devils
                  For sure. Gonna try and do it this summer/fall.

Comment

tagged

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                      What river would one be floating while utilizing the Luling shuttle service?
                      San Marcos River. My son and I rented a canoe and two vests plus shuttle for $20. Could have chose two kayaks but it was our first time down that part of the river and he is 13. They shuttle you up and you come back to the park. It is about a 2-2.5 hour paddle depending on the flow. Nice trip.

Comment

South Llano river out of Junction.

Comment

the south llano is awesome

Comment

Seems like there was enough Interest, we should plan something as a group! Gotta plan ahead though because my work schedule for summer is being planned now...

Comment

For the area of the OP, in Texas, hard to beat the Brazos either below PK or Whitney. Water flows can really fluctuate a lot now below Whitney at times if they start releasing water. Excellent fishing in both areas

Comment

The primary advocate for the preservation and protection of whitewater rivers throughout the United States and connects the interests of human-powered recreational river users with ecological and science-based data to achieve goals within our mission.

Here’s a link my buddy shared with me. Has some good info about flow rates and locations

Comment

Working...
                                X