Real Estate Photography Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real Estate Photography Questions

Does anybody on here do real estate photography? If so what wide angle lens are you using. Also, do any of you fly the drones as well. I'm seeing more and more these package deals with photos and drone video. I have been thinking of doing this as a side job and hopefully move into full time at some point. Also, if you have any pictures or videos that you have done on real estate please post them up. Thanks in advance for sharing the information.

I'm a retired builder and use to photograph every house. I used an Olympus 11-22 at the time before my Canon days. The body was a 2X crop factor so equate to 22-44 in 35mm. I won a contest back in 2009 with some of my home photos. I'll post some of them later. No drone work, yet.

Recently bought my wife a Sony A7 v1 for her real estate business and she is learning and doing pretty well. Need to get her a wider lens than she is currently using.

Pics from the Olympus, This is from one house.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P3152081 (Medium).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	24501235

Name:	P3152083 (Medium).JPG
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	24501236

Name:	P3152093 (Medium).JPG
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	24501237

Name:	P3152118 (Medium).JPG
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	24501238

Name:	P3152131 (Large).jpg
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	24501239

Name:	P3152094 (Large).jpg
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	24501240

Comment

Nice House and photos. The widest lens I currently have is the Canon L 24-70 with a full frame camera. I can see where a wider lens would benefit you especially in the bathroom area.
      From what I am seeing - all lights on is a key in the photos. Are fans running a big thing these days or is it best to keep them off.
      Thanks for sharing Bill. Again, nice house

Comment

Originally posted by jdma View Post
        Nice House and photos. The widest lens I currently have is the Canon L 24-70 with a full frame camera. I can see where a wider lens would benefit you especially in the bathroom area.
        From what I am seeing - all lights on is a key in the photos. Are fans running a big thing these days or is it best to keep them off.
        Thanks for sharing Bill. Again, nice house
        Thanks, this is a 10 year old house now.

Too wide and you begin to get a distorted view so you have to be careful. You don't want "bends" in the shot. Lights on and use the natural light where you can. Fans not running. I would use an off camera flash with a diffuser on it pointed up at an angle.

A few more. Still with Olympus. I believe the lens on these was a 12-60mm or 24-120 equivalent.

Name:	P2137437 (Large).jpg
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	24501253

Name:	P2137445 (Large).jpg
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	24501254

Name:	P2137458 (Large).jpg
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	24501255

Name:	P2137467 (Large).jpg
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	24501256

Name:	P2137475 (Large).jpg
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	24501257

Name:	Front Elevation 6 (Large).jpg
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	24501258

Comment

This doesn't answer your question, but may give you some food for thought.
          My wife uses a photo service for all her listings (Katy area).
          She pays them $70 to come out, take pictures, she picks her favorites, they edit and then upload the pictures to HAR.

That seems like a lot of time and work, for very little money.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
            This doesn't answer your question, but may give you some food for thought.
            My wife uses a photo service for all her listings (Katy area).
            She pays them $70 to come out, take pictures, she picks her favorites, they edit and then upload the pictures to HAR.

That seems like a lot of time and work, for very little money.
            That is pretty cheap. Not that way here in BCS.

I just realized I didn't take that last picture of the elevation.

Comment

I'm not sure on camera set up or anything like that. You'll want the house fully lit up and looking as spotless and clean as can be (that's more on the realtor to prepare however). In Austin it costs me ~$250 for 25-30 photos and I expect them the next day and receive them in the form of a WebLink to my 'branded virtual tour'.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Patton; 06-30-2017, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                I'm not sure on camera set up or anything like that. You'll want the house fully lit up and looking as spotless and clean as can be
                This is the hardest part to get right, especially in a house that has a lot of stuff in it! As far as setup goes, I've found it useful to shoot everything off a tripod when it comes to real estate photos. It forces you to slow down, make sure the composition shows off the best the room has to offer and it eliminates a lot of the issues you have with poor lighting since you can get away with slower shutter speeds. I like the tripod as well because it allows you to quickly review the shot and if you missed something that "needs cleaning up" you can simply walk over and remove the object and take another shot. I've never ran into a situation where a 24 or even 35 mm full frame equivalent didn't meet my needs and I typically prefer to shoot at 35mm because of the more natural perspective that focal length offers.

Comment

I normally used a tripod.

Comment

Originally posted by jdma View Post
                    Does anybody on here do real estate photography? If so what wide angle lens are you using. Also, do any of you fly the drones as well. I'm seeing more and more these package deals with photos and drone video. I have been thinking of doing this as a side job and hopefully move into full time at some point. Also, if you have any pictures or videos that you have done on real estate please post them up. Thanks in advance for sharing the information.
                    A better plan (IMHO) would be for you to post some pictures you've taken and ask for constructive criticism. You also haven't said what brand camera you have, which would be helpful in answering your question about lenses.

I would not hire any of the people who took the photos previously posted in this thread if those are true examples of their best work. Depending on where you are and what your market is though, maybe they'll pass muster.

If you want to see what truly gifted real estate photographers can do, go pick up a couple free luxury home magazines and carefully analyze them. One of the most interesting things I noticed was that photographers at that level make multiple visits to the house in order to capture the daytime and evening/sunset/nighttime images.

Comment

I'm not much help. My wife has been looking into doing this also. But DFW area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks to everyone for all the tips. Please keep them coming.

Comment

I use a Nikon's 14-24 F/2.8. I tried the 24-70 F/2.8, but the angle wasn't wide enough to really put emphasis all the details in the house. Wide angle for me was really key. Also using a tripod with remote shutter.
                          I try to limit each hot with the fastest shutter I can and will turn on every light, open every window, and turn the fans off. Also discuss with the home owner, when you will be there and politely ask to tidy up, mow the yard, clean yard toys and tools ect...

Here's some of my house that we sold last year. 10 year remodel, not happy to say that, but I did it all and every project was paid for.

Then when I'm done, a little toning in Photomatix Pro and upload. Forgot to say, spend some time in Kitchen and Baths. I don't know why, but they are the pictures that everyone on line wants to see the most off.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your tips, suggestions and photos. This gives me something to use for reference. If anyone else has anything please give us your suggestions as well. Thanks again for sharing. Jeff

Comment

As mentioned before and to add, make sure rooms a re lit up good, blinds open, ceiling fans off, rooms staged and clean with as little clutter as possible. I have shot all the pics of the 3 houses we have sold and have been on the market a combined 7 days. I use a Tokina 16-28 2.8 on a tripod.

Comment

Working...
                              X