Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Menard county hunting updates 2017

Menard/Callan Lane.
    Just went up there last weekend and filled all the feeders and repaired stands.
    It was hot and dry up there. Not a lot of green grass or ground foliage. Dove hunting was pitiful.
    We did see 2 Blackbuck does and a yearling. Not sure where they came from, but we are low fence and do have a roaming Axis herd.

Any updates from any other parts of the county?

I know I am not the only person that hunts this county. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by capp35 View Post
      i know i am not the only person that hunts this county. Lol
      im here! (83/29) all but one of my better bucks vanished from cameras. My protein feeder consumption dropped by over 50%. In the last 30-40days. Acorns were everywhere!! Needed a helmet to walk around the house. One of the better deer that was on camera in august but not one single picture in the last 25 days at a feeder was standing in the front yard of camp sunday morning :d

Comment

DT50,
        Your just down the road from me at home (290/99).
        Need to meet for lunch sometime at the Lazy Ladle in Menard.

Comment

I'm out there too . Haven't been out there but got some Axis bucks at the protein feeders . There's a few a decent WT Bucks coming to feeders mainly in the 120s. We have a few black buck from time to time but not huntable numbers. Last year we had tons of turkeys on the place . The hogs seem to be increasing in numbers.. it seems like last year everyone shot at least two.190 w of town

Comment

I'm out in menard too! I'm cover in deer. No axis, or blackbuck, or hogs. I'm around 2092, an 29. Closer to hext. But still menard county. Wish I could get axis out my way. Owned the land for 5 years so far an none to be seen. But the deer are almost out of velvet 100%. Ready for next weekend. Looks like a good season ahead.

Comment

I'm hunting in Reagan county (Big Lake) and drive through Menard. I'm jealous of all of you - that 4.5 hour drive is rough plus I dig the area! I'll be watching to see what y'all do!

Comment

I'm up there brother. We hunt off of Wilhelm Lane in the the NW part of the county. So far, we have some real nice 8's but nothing outstanding. I have yet to see several of the more mature deer from last year on our cameras. We have a few Sika and last year we had a few axis on camera. We saw our first hog on camera only in 23 years of hunting this place last year. Lots of turkey. The pasture was in very good shape when I went down last in early September. Looking forward to the season. It would be cool to meet you guys.
                Last edited by SV72; 09-21-2017, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by capt1brooks View Post
                  I'm out in menard too! I'm cover in deer. No axis, or blackbuck, or hogs. I'm around 2092, an 29. Closer to hext. But still menard county. Wish I could get axis out my way. Owned the land for 5 years so far an none to be seen. But the deer are almost out of velvet 100%. Ready for next weekend. Looks like a good season ahead.
                  Just a heads up......we saw a stud of an Axis buck on 2092 near 29 a couple of months ago going home.

Comment

Our place is northwest of Menard, about 10 miles. We have a good herd of wt and are covered with blackbuck. Every now and then we'll see an axis. Place is low fenced.

Comment

What a coincidence, I had the exact same experience last weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Capp35 View Post
                        DT50,
                        Your just down the road from me at home (290/99).
                        Need to meet for lunch sometime at the Lazy Ladle in Menard.
                        Sounds like a plan and let's keep this thread running. I love seeing area reports! Good luck everybody!

Comment

I'm out there also, south of town on Hwy 83. The most green i've seen in Sept. out there, it's usually a sea of yellow and brown by now. We were there labor day weekend. Few nice bucks on camera and quite a few acorns on the ground.

Comment

SV72 thanks for the heads up! Maybe if he goes a few miles, as a crow flys. I may see him. Never had had axis before but hear how good they are!!

Comment

Originally posted by capt1brooks View Post
                              SV72 thanks for the heads up! Maybe if he goes a few miles, as a crow flys. I may see him. Never had had axis before but hear how good they are!!
                              No problem. My BIL almost wrecked the truck trying to get a look 😁

Comment

Working...
                              X