Have you ever seen a Drilling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you ever seen a Drilling?

Have you ever seen a Drilling? It's a double barreled, side by side, shotgun with a single shot rifle barrel. It is specially designed for a Treibjagdt - a.k.a. a drive hunt. Hunters in Europe will form a line about 80-100 yards apart and people from town will walk, in a line, through the woods pushing game towards the hunters. A Drilling allowed the hunters to be prepared for everything from a pheasant to a red stag, a roe deer to a hare to a wild pig. I just inherited my grandfather's Drilling, from Germany, and it's in the most pristine condition I've ever seen a Drilling! Every hunter that was at my uncle's funeral saw it at the party at one of our hunting camps and they were shocked at the good condition - especially since it's from the late '40s or early '50s. Since I've never seen one in the US, I figured some people might be interested to see it.

It's a Kreighoff Drilling with a Hensoldt scope - Zeiss in West Germany until Zeiss in East Germany was reunited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have, what caliber and gauge? You aren't going to ask if this one is worth bringing back are you?

Comment

I've always found drillings interesting. And that's a really good one you have there.

Comment

Had to share this picture also. A hunting buddy in Germany, who knows I have blood dogs, sent it to me. The caption says, "Hunting dog for sale!" ROFLMAO!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Daaang that's awesome

Comment

That's a sweet looking gun. What a great way to remember your Opa!

Comment

Looks like a very high quality piece. Drillings are, or were, very popular in Germany many years ago. It's amazing your Opa's survived WW-II and the post-war period - U.S. occupational forces (Army) wanted to confiscate my father-in-law's Diana air rifle (.177 caliber), and he had to break the stock over a curb to render it undesirable to them (he later repaired the stock with medical tape and kept it that way until his death). In the early days of WW-II, they packed drillings in the survival kits of Luftwaffe aircraft, and they were prized targets of scavengers. Just curious, but what gauge are the shotgun barrels, and what caliber is the rifle barrel? Also, what is the power of the scope, and what kind of reticle does it have - I would imagine either a German #1 or #4, but was just wondering.

Congratulations on your inheritance, and my condolences on the loss of your grandfather.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

Beautiful gun...

Comment

I didn't know that existed

Comment

Beautiful. Learn something new every day on tbh.

Comment

Beautiful gun and a great thing to have of your grandfather's

If it is a caliber that is easy to get ammo for I would shoot a few critters with it

Comment

I've seen bunches of them, but never owned one. That's a fine gun you have there. Your grandfather had good taste.

Comment

Beautiful gun. Besides the unique shotgun/rifle combination aspect, every detail is well executed -- the checkering and metal scrollwork scenes are amazing.

So ... you gonna kill some critters with it?

Comment

In for calibers

Comment

Beautiful and unique gun. I have never seen one with a scope - aren't they usually shot with open sights?

Comment

Working...
                              X