X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great Job, I'd love to watch it work.

Comment

Huntin Addict,

Bringing this one back up from the dead.

How is your tree shear working out?

Would you change anything on your design?

How large of a tree have you cut with it?

I'm planning on building a shear and I like your design. I would like to try to get the cutting blades lower to get more of a flush cut stump.
      if possible
      Thanks!

Comment

I am also tuned in for an update.

Comment

Wow, you did resurrect an old one.

Ok, so she works great on 6 - 8 inch trees, anything larger the blades have a tendency to walk. We have cut a couple of trees in that 10 - 12 inch range.
          The blades will walk 2 - 3 inches, which looks really wicked when that 1" iron starts moving in opposite directions.

The plan is to add a stabilization rod on each blade then tie it back to the frame for max support. Then we will see just how bad it really is.

Changes:
          If there was a way to make the blades a bit convex where they would try and cradle a larger tree, the tractor would not have to work as hard trying to stay in position.

She cuts fairly low to the ground now, but lower is always better.

Then if money and power were not and issue, some type of grapple would help as well.

Comment

Without a video it didn't happen- just kidding but I'd like to see that tree muncher in action!

Comment

Originally posted by Huntin Addict View Post
              Wow, you did resurrect an old one.

Ok, so she works great on 6 - 8 inch trees, anything larger the blades have a tendency to walk. We have cut a couple of trees in that 10 - 12 inch range.
              The blades will walk 2 - 3 inches, which looks really wicked when that 1" iron starts moving in opposite directions.

The plan is to add a stabilization rod on each blade then tie it back to the frame for max support. Then we will see just how bad it really is.

Changes:
              If there was a way to make the blades a bit convex where they would try and cradle a larger tree, the tractor would not have to work as hard trying to stay in position.

She cuts fairly low to the ground now, but lower is always better.

Then if money and power were not and issue, some type of grapple would help as well.
              Thanks for posting up!

Do you think a one sided cutter and the other side fixed(like a curved fixed piece that was serrated) would work better? It would be cheaper to build(save one hydraulic cylinder).

Comment

I actually got a quote on these from China. Only $1,300 each + shipping if you buy a dozen. They retail here for $2,500.

I just checked the China price because a guy posted the link on the Tractor By Net forum.

Shipping isn't bad, but import duties and customs fees might be a deal killer.
                I was actually thinking about buying 12 of them and selling 11 of them to get a free set, but then I came to my senses.

I'm just not a big fan of Chinese stuff. I'd rather buy American or build it myself.

Comment

Working...
                X