No announcement yet.

AR 10 Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guess Larue figured out they were missing out on the larger market and now caters to the DPMS platform. Still backs my point of buying DPMS compatible statements. Larue does make a good rifle.

Comment

You might wanna start with the NV device you plan to use. Some will not take a .308. The other thing to consider is weight and how you plan to use the gun. AR10, LR308 are not known for their light weight. Slap a Thermal with batteries or other NV and a 20 Round Mag. You’ll be needing sticks or a heavy duty Tripod.

The last thing to consider is distance if most of your shots are 100 yardish at night I’d stick with a AR15 caliber.

Yes I’m speaking from experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Zen Archery View Post
        You might wanna start with the NV device you plan to use. Some will not take a .308. The other thing to consider is weight and how you plan to use the gun. AR10, LR308 are not known for their light weight. Slap a Thermal with batteries or other NV and a 20 Round Mag. You’ll be needing sticks or a heavy duty Tripod.

The last thing to consider is distance if most of your shots are 100 yardish at night I’d stick with a AR15 caliber.

Decided to not go the 308 route. Found a AR 15 in 22 Nosler. Smoking fast/flat. Not much info out there on suppressed ballistics though. Even started a thread on SilencerTalk regarding the topic, to no avail.

Do I suppress the 22 Nosler? Do I get a rifle scope to "reach out" and take advantage of the velocity? Should I get a 6.8 SPC short barrel/bolt and suppress that w/ a 30 cal can? I already have the mags for it (same as 22 Nosler). Possibilities are endless! Excited to say the least.

Comment

Look at the Grendel

Comment

Originally posted by ABWGTX View Post
            Guess Larue figured out they were missing out on the larger market and now caters to the DPMS platform. Still backs my point of buying DPMS compatible statements. Larue does make a good rifle.
            The Gen1 platform is not the way to go. DPMS actually acknowledged that when they released the G2 - completely different receiver footprint. 10's are a funny group, there is no `mil-spec` for the .473 bolt face. Buy a complete weapon from one of the top builders and you will be a step closer to tight groups from a gas gun. Once a person learns to shoot one the potential is fully realized. 6mm Creedmoor from GAP is very hard to beat for the money.

Sent from my SM-T377T using Tapatalk

Comment

Great advice here. In fact, I use my 10.5 SBR .300 topped with my thermal for all night hunting. It is suppressed with the Omega and have never wished I had more reach or knock down on anything I hunt after dark. I do not like heavy recoil when hunting at night, follow ups should be quick. I can actually rest my gun and shoot from the streaming picture from my phone. Keeping your eye on the scope gets old real quick at night.

Sent from my SM-T377T using Tapatalk

Comment

What you are hunting should determine the caliber. I’m assuming hogs since you said night hunting. If going with lighter gun get premium monolithic bullets. Yes they cost more but sometimes speed doesn’t transfer in to lt.lbf.

As for cans that’s a personal option. On an AR platform with a fast bullet I don’t see the purpose. Bolt slap and sonic crack will defeat the purpose of a can. Is it quieter yes? Will secondary animals hear it absolutely.

Comment

What you are hunting should determine the caliber. I’m assuming hogs since you said night hunting. If going with lighter gun get premium monolithic bullets. Yes they cost more but sometimes speed doesn’t transfer in to lt.lbf.

As for cans that’s a personal option. On an AR platform with a fast bullet I don’t see the purpose. Bolt slap and sonic crack will defeat the purpose of a can. Is it quieter yes? Will secondary animals hear it absolutely.
                  On the AR platforms cans are more about hearing protection.

Even on bolt guns the bullet slap on the animal spooks them hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
                    On the AR platforms cans are more about hearing protection.

Even on bolt guns the bullet slap on the animal spooks them hard.
                    What about recoil reduction? Serious question...

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
                      What about recoil reduction? Serious question...
                      Makes a grendel not move. I watch the bullet hit in the scope.

.308 win is the same.

300 RUM kicks about like the .308 without a can.

Comment

Makes a grendel not move. I watch the bullet hit in the scope.

.308 win is the same.

300 RUM kicks about like the .308 without a can.
                        I am wanting to utilize the semi auto rifle (obviously) and be able to make a good follow up shot or two. Sounds like a sup would be beneficial after all

Comment

I can usually get a headshot on one pig and in the confusion get 1-2 more well placed shots off on slow moving pigs.

Comment

I got my PSA $580 lightweight .308 in. Very pleased with the look and feel of it.

Comment

I can usually get a headshot on one pig and in the confusion get 1-2 more well placed shots off on slow moving pigs.
                              I'd be satisfied with that. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X