No announcement yet.

Dog very sick...thoughts please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was he tested for tick disease such as Erlichia or Anaplasma?

Vomiting, anorexia, and acting different have been the most common complaint for an acute tick infection that I've seen. With the recent trip to the lease, I'd have that checked just to be safe as these infections can be fatal. Even though most tick infections will show abnormalities on blood work, wouldn't hurt to test.

Comment

I think he ate somthing bad... keep chucken and rice and see how he rolls on

Comment

Prayers up

Comment

Ours had similar issues recently and vet diagnosed it as pancreatitis, said he must have gotten into something he couldn't digest (plausible since this dog is a moron and will eat anything he can). Gave him some meds and had us give him probiotics with each meal, took him a bit but he was back to normal before too long. Here are the probiotics we used:

Comment

Could be a variety of things. I'd have treated supportively also as you described. If symptoms persist I would also recommend rechecking bloodwork as things can change quickly that were previously undetected. Also that's a lot of weight loss over a short period of time. Probably isn't it, but make sure Addisons is on the radar. They call Addisons Disease the great pretender because clinical signs are often very vague. It often manifests as nonspecific GI signs. It could very well be a bad case of gastroenteritis from eating something he shouldn't have, but I always try to not forget about Addisons with GI cases.
            Last edited by AggieDVM15; 09-09-2017, 09:14 PM.

Comment

This happens to my Lacy when she digs up OLD ROTTEN Deer, Hog, or Auodad Legs. She ate some rotten legs a couple weeks ago at Ranch, she is just now getting over it.
              Give the dog some pumpkin with food.

Comment

Have the vet check for for Addisons Disease. Almost exact same symptoms my dog had, except she would barely drink water.

My vet had to send a sample to A&M to verify because he has seen it so few times, and he's a vet in a big city.

I let my dog for for 3 days. Vet said had I gone another, she would have been dead. So you may want to test sooner than later. Make sure they checked for Na/K ratio, and Cl levels.
                Last edited by WItoTX; 09-11-2017, 10:23 AM.

Comment

How close are you to Texas A&M in College Station?

I have to agree with a few of these responses. I suspect the vet might have missed something. Not pooping is a serious issue and could cause rupture. A second set of eyes is a prudent thing.

Also, try giving pro biotics - acidophilus. You can use the human variety found at any drug store where the vitamins and supplements are. Give 1 pill twice a day for a few days (3 days) then back down to 1 pill. With the meds and vomiting, he could very well have lost the bacteria in his stomach that he needs.

Comment

to you all, thanks for all the replies, I implemented many of them. after dropping from 80 lbs to 71 lbs over ten days, Buck finally hit rock bottom. the tail always wagged and nose stayed moist, but at one point he started listing when he walked and that really freaked me out. but ate up for two straight days, i gave him double the anti-nausea medicine prescribed, and he finally started scarfing down the water. well after three days of eating 3 cups of chicken and rice a day and not pooing, i walked him a half mile to see if that would get the trains running and wow did it work! spent the past few days transitioning him back to dog food and thankfully i feel his going to be just fine. thanks again to everyone and know theres a 12 and 6 year old out there thats going to get to spend alot more time with their best friend.

Comment

Good news

Comment

Obstruction maybe...rat poison maybe

Glad he is better

Comment

Great

Comment

Good to hear!

Comment

Glad he is better. That happened a handful of times with our Lab. First time took her to the vet, after that, we knew what to do. Each time we boiled ground beef and rice and fed it to her as she would take it.

Took a couple of days each time, but always recovered and put her back on dry food with no problems. Never figured out what caused it.

Comment

Give him Gatorade and pedelyte with a syringe if needed. Also try feeding Turkey if the chicken doesn't work. It almost sounds like a mild case of Corona or parvo. Keep him hydrated

Comment

Working...
                                X