How long to smoke pork shoulder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long to smoke pork shoulder?

First time smoking in an offset smoker. I have two 4 pound shoulders. How many hours should I bank on smoking them? I have heard roughly two hours per pound...?

Will be monitoring with a Bluetooth thermometer. Take it out to rest at what temp?

Take it to 203° if you can get it there.
    Could take 10-12 hours. Depends on how hot you run it.

Comment

Internal temp of 165.

Comment

If you want to pull it it needs to be 198°+. My last one I took to 201 and it was awesome.

Comment

You should be good to figure around two hours per lb at about 250°. Like above, 203° internal is just about perfect for pulling. Save a little rub to sprinkle on it after you pull it and it's still hot. Call us when it's ready!

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
            Internal temp of 165.
            This isn’t what I would advise. 195 start probing for tenderness and cook to desired tenderness, this will vary time wise. The best advise I can give you is to let them rest for at least an hr before you eat or pull them apart. Good luck and have some fun!

Comment

I cook to internal of 190 which is usually about an hour and a half per pound at 225. Then wrap up in foil and a towel and put it in an cooler for at least an hour. It will continue to break down in there.

Comment

Thanks all.

I should have clarified: What time do I need to wake up and start the smoker in order to serve at 6:00pm? I’ll be monitoring the temp.

This was an 8 pound shoulder that I cut in half when I was expecting fewer people for dinner. So I’m smoking two 4 pound halves. Will it take half the time the full 8 pounder would have? Or still 12+ hours because it’s 8 pounds total?
                Last edited by 30-30; 09-14-2018, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Until it squeals

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
                    Thanks all.

I should have clarified: What time do I need to wake up and start the smoker in order to serve at 6:00pm? I’ll be monitoring the temp.

This was an 8 pound shoulder that I cut in half when I was expecting fewer people for dinner. So I’m smoking two 4 pound halves. Will it take half the time the full 8 pounder would have? Or still 12+ hours because it’s 8 pounds total?

Pork butt is pretty forgiving. I would have the grill temp at 250-300. Should take around 60-90 mins per pound.

I cook mine until around 200-203. At around 198-200 I start probing and one it feels like a hot knife through butter I pull it off. I typically wrap in towels and put in a cooler for a few hours if I have time to let it rest.

Your two four pound butts should take 4-6 hours assuming you cook them separately and don’t tie them together. If you want to eat at 6, I’d start the fire around 8, put it on around 830-9 (once the fire is ready) and then pull it off when ready and wrap it up and let it rest until dinner.

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
                      Thanks all.

A lot will depend if you plan to wrap with foil/butcher paper or if you aren’t wrapping at all. I tend to wrap when I get the color on the meat I am looking for. I would think you wouldn’t need more than 7 hrs of cook time and 1 hr of rest time before you prepare to eat.

Comment

Not planning to wrap in foil.

Thanks for all the info, y’all.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                          Internal temp of 165.
                          Maybe if you're planning to serve it sliced. It won't pull at 165.

Comment

240-250 degrees, 2 hours per pound

Comment

Use this meat smoking times and temperature chart as a handy reference to know exactly what temperature to smoke at and when your food is ready.

Comment

Working...
                              X