Deer feeder pen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer feeder pen

So I’ve got a hog problem like most people and will be putting up a pen around my feeder but don’t want to make it too tall and have to shoot through the fencing at the deer vitals. Im looking for suggestions on how y’all to make my pen and out of what material?
    Let me know what y’all think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tpost and hog panel

Comment

50"x16' Cattle Panels. I make a 50' circle (takes 10 panels) with T-posts every 8'. Cut 2 rows out of the top of a couple of the panels. Wire them up tight or the pigs will still get in.

Comment

make it big enough you dont have to shoot thru. You are inside the pen

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post

My stand is 120 yards from the feeder it’s a rifle setup

Comment

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post
            50"x16' Cattle Panels. I make a 50' circle (takes 10 panels) with T-posts every 8'. Cut 2 rows out of the top of a couple of the panels. Wire them up tight or the pigs will still get in.

So what is your total height to the top of the panel? Thanks for the info

Comment

I use 34” x 16’ hog panels and not 1 pig has gotten in. I think you could buy the 52” high panels and cut them in half and it would work.
              My experience is that pigs fight to get out not to get in enclosures.

Comment

[QUOTE=GLM;13645397]I use 34” x 16’ hog panels and not 1 pig has gotten in.
                My experience is that pigs fight to get out not to get in enclosures.

Comment

Originally posted by camourbo57 View Post
                  So what is your total height to the top of the panel? Thanks for the info

I think the openings are approx. 8" tall at the top, so cutting 2 rows would net approx. 34". You could probably sub Hog Panels in those places if you'd like, depends on how aggressive whatever you're trying to fence out gets. Some cattle and/or goats can & will jump an opening that short.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                    Or small and shoot them before they jump in

Comment

I used the 52” and cut them in half with a single stran of barbed wire 12” above to keep the cows out. Haven’t had a pic of a pig since

Comment

I use the 330' roll of 47" field fence from tractor supply with 1 panel for a gate. This gives you plenty of room for the feeder to not throw outside the wire, and is a little cheaper then buying all panels. The woven wire is strong enough to stand up to cows on our place. "T" posts support it well.

Comment

Originally posted by BCL View Post
                          I used the 52” and cut them in half with a single stran of barbed wire 12” above to keep the cows out. Haven’t had a pic of a pig since
                          I use the 34” and put my barb wire right on the top of the panel. I put the feeder near the front of the pen also.
                          Deer will congregate there to feed on the corn that throws out.
                          One of the pens has cattle panel in the back and pig panels on the front. They will always walk in front to jump in.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies guys I’m just afraid to make it too tall and not have a clear shot at vitals through the fence because I’m 120 yards from the feeder and not really all that elevated.

Comment

Originally posted by camourbo57 View Post
                              Thanks for all the replies guys I’m just afraid to make it too tall and not have a clear shot at vitals through the fence because I’m 120 yards from the feeder and not really all that elevated.

They dont have to be in the pen to take a shot. Put the pen in a spot where you have plenty of shot opportunities before and after they visit the pen

Comment

Working...
                              X