Cast Iron skillet thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cast Iron skillet thread

Received a cast iron skillet for Christmas this past year and man I have falling in love. Not sure what it is but it feels good cooking on it. What are some of the tricks you use to keep it seasoned, too wash it, etc? Right now I'm cooking Carne Assad chicken and man is ridiculously good! Looking forward to some recipes and in sight into the cast iron world of cookware [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

In

Comment

Don’t use soap and just scrub and rinse out in the sink under running water. Place back on stove and heat until dry then coat with oil. Will last a lifetime.

Comment

Home fried taters and eggs on cast iron can’t be beat

I have dozens of pieces
          I’m mostly a griswold fan but not above Wagner ware or old lodge.

Comment

This stuff is ridiculously good. I take boneless thighs and chop them up into bite size pieces and layer the skillet with the chicken. Then season well with the seasoning, after 5 mins flip the chicken over and season it again. Toss it on a tortilla with cheese and picante and you WILL walk away a champ.

Comment

Originally posted by Thegutman View Post
              Don’t use soap and just scrub and rinse out in the sink under running water. Place back on stove and heat until dry then coat with oil. Will last a lifetime.

[emoji106], I've been doing it wrong. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkles View Post

I have dozens of pieces

This piece is an old lodge. I have a feeling that by the time I leave this world there will be plenty of cast iron to pass down.

Comment

This what I use on mine to clean.

Heat up, after using, scrape with this, wipe out with a paper towel, heat up again and apply a lil oil.

Works great.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkles View Post

I have dozens of pieces

My griswold 8 is my favorite pan. Too bad the 10s and 12s are so expensive now.

Op: if it's a lodge that has a rough finish on it, I'd take a grinder to it and remove the seasoning to bare metal and then get it smooth as a baby's butt. Then season it yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Thegutman View Post
                      Or many lifetimes. I’m several years into using my grandparents’ cast iron that I inherited. Absolutely love em!

Comment

Barnical Bill needs to chime in with some of his dessert recipes and chili

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Comment

We use a couple of old Griswold cast iron skillets, cleaned them up and seasoned with crisbee, they are about as non stick as can get. Some of the best meals we cook are with these two cast skillets. I also have the corn bread pan, flat iron, and Dutch oven all made in the 30’s.

Comment

Cast Iron is greatness.

Add a cast iron dutch oven to your collection.

Comment

Cast Iron skillet thread

I have a big one I bought and keep @ camp.

You can wash it with soap, but not recommended.

I prefer to warm it up on the fire with water in it to get stuck food off.

When done and cleaned, I smother it in and out with olive oil, and rub it in the metal. I leave a nice coating around the edges and it runs down into the base. When I return the following week, it’s oiled up, the base has a bit more oil in it from running down. I simply wipe it out with a dry paper towel in and out.

This oil coating keeps it from rusting in the Florida high humidity.

Now just before cooking with it, I will get a wet soapy sponge and wipe the outside to retard the outside from flaming with the olive oil.

I use olive oil because the flavor it leaves is so much better than any other oil.

Here’s some pulled wild boar [emoji203] @ camp.

Comment

Working...
                              X