What is your 6.5x284 load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is your 6.5x284 load

Just got my new rifle from the boys at Apr. Just wondering what you guys are shooting out of them. I am really like the 143 eldx bullets out of my other 6.5 rifle and most likely will stick with them! Thanks in advance!

Interested to hear others’ experience. I’m planning to start with 4831sc with eldxes. I crunched the numbers with retumbo and h1000 (and rl and vv options) but the reports make it sound like the slight extra velocity comes at a cost of accuracy. Seating depth matters a lot with how slow a powder you can get away with in the ‘284 - are you on a long action? Rl26 seems promising but my quickload is out of date. MikeD might have data on max safe load for RL26 + 143, otherwise 4831sc has a big devoted following among match shooters and has competetive velocities (2950-2980) with that bullet.

Comment

When I had mine I shot 52 grains of 4350 and 120 gr Nosler solid base bullets. Long time ago but it was an absolute screaming load and performed very well. I regret selling that rifle to this day. I got mine when it was still a Wildcat. Built on a 98 mouser frame.

Comment

I have one coming from APR. Been looking for some Berger 140 vld hunting to play with no luck so far. Might have to try the Hornady’s. I fill like a little kid at x-mas waiting on the rifle.

Comment

Lots of info on long range hunting.

I'm not interested in reloader but they have some info on it.

Retumbo is very popular and 56-58 grains seems to be a common theme. At 58 grains you have a warm load so work up carefully. I've been doing a bit of research as I just picked one up myself.

You should be right at 3k from a 26 inch tube with 58 grains. You'll get a tad more velocity from rl 26.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
          Last edited by Slick8; 03-26-2018, 04:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by byrdman03cars View Post
            Just got my new rifle from the boys at Apr. Just wondering what you guys are shooting out of them. I am really like the 143 eldx bullets out of my other 6.5 rifle and most likely will stick with them! Thanks in advance!

The load for my rifle is 140 Berger VLD, Lapua case, Remington 9.5 magnum primer, 58 grains Retumbo. The gun shoots right at 3,000 FPS less than .5 groups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

140sst with 50.2 4831sc 2765 ave. One ragged hole.

Comment

49 gr H 4350
                140gr Berger VLD
                Fed GM 210 M Primer
                Lapua Brass
                2950fps
                1/4 groups

Comment

51.5gr H4831SC
                  Berger 140gr VLD hunting
                  Lapua brass
                  CCI 200 primers
                  1/2 inch groups or better .

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                    Lots of info on long range hunting.

I'm not interested in reloader but they have some info on it.

Retumbo is very popular and 56-58 grains seems to be a common theme. At 58 grains you have a warm load so work up carefully. I've been doing a bit of research as I just picked one up myself.

You should be right at 3k from a 26 inch tube with 58 grains. You'll get a tad more velocity from rl 26.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
                    x2

Comment

[QUOTE=Walding1989;13274068]The load for my rifle is 140 Berger VLD, Lapua case, Remington 9.5 magnum primer, 58 grains Retumbo. The gun shoots right at 3,000 FPS less than .5 groups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

x2 but I use Federal 210M primers

Comment

51gr of 4831sc behind a 140 berger in lapua brass with br2

Comment

I also shoot 48.5 of 4831sc with 140 nosler BT for up close work .. it's not real fast but shoots one hole groups at 100

Comment

Thank you for the responses! I will update with what works out for me best with the Eldx bullets!!

Comment

Working...
                            X