Tuning help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tuning help

Short story. My sight is maxed out on the vertical and horizontal adjustments. I already flipped the bracket and it maxes out just on the other side. Any thoughts?

Longer story. This was a used bow (my first). So I got the draw length adjusted by a half inch. Feels much better for sure. This made my peep off so the bow shop adjusted that for me. Decided to upgrade the whisker biscuit to a NAP drop away. Great I think! Just need to paper tune and resight it in. Paper tuning started with a left tear. Adjusted rest right basically until I ran out of room. Also tightened the left serving on the upper cam. Got the tear down to a manageable left tear. Not a bullet hole but probably just my form.

Now my sight is so far right part of it isn't even visable in the peep.

Included some pics for reference. Where should I start? I'm shooting bulleyes at 20 yards so can still manage but doesn't feel right. Hoping I can tune myself before I go back to the shop! Thanks.

My guess would be something with your form is way outta whack. Right handed person will shoot right when torquing a grip. You’ve adjusted the rest right to overcome it on your tear. Now your arrow is shooting right for two reasons and your sight won’t adjust enough.

Comment

Forget the paper tuning, walk back tune it and then do a broad head tune. Of course all this is dependent on proper spined arrows, a tuned bow, and good form.

Comment

Check the spine of the shaft. Use a much heavier point, at least 50 gr. If it improves your paper tear you are stiff. You can also try a lighter point, if that helps you are weak. Without points you can use poundage. 5le versa.bs up, it that helps you are stiff and vice-versa.
        You should be able to tune a bow to you not tune you to the bow.

Comment

I may be way off here but might be something to check. I’m right handed and when I was a kid I was shooting a right handed bow. My pins were always like yours. Way in near the riser. My twin brother’s pins were normal. Found out when I joined the military that I was left eye dominant. It started making sense then. I now shoot a left handed bow
          Like I said, I may be way off but something easy to check

Comment

Is the bow in spec? Timing correct?

Comment

Originally posted by .17fireball View Post
              I may be way off here but might be something to check. I’m right handed and when I was a kid I was shooting a right handed bow. My pins were always like yours. Way in near the riser. My twin brother’s pins were normal. Found out when I joined the military that I was left eye dominant. It started making sense then. I now shoot a left handed bow
              Like I said, I may be way off but something easy to check
              Was thinking the same thing. Draw bow and close left eye. Are pins out of wack. If so...think you may be using left eye.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiplashTX View Post
                Forget the paper tuning, walk back tune it and then do a broad head tune. Of course all this is dependent on proper spined arrows, a tuned bow, and good form.
                I have now done this. First I moved the sight left until it was naturally in my peep after I closed both eyes and opened them. Got the rest moved a good ways left and was centered at about 10 and 20 yards.

Will shoot some broadheads tomorrow and see how close they are.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Comment

Originally posted by old killer View Post
                  Check the spine of the shaft. Use a much heavier point, at least 50 gr. If it improves your paper tear you are stiff. You can also try a lighter point, if that helps you are weak. Without points you can use poundage. 5le versa.bs up, it that helps you are stiff and vice-versa.
                  You should be able to tune a bow to you not tune you to the bow.
                  If this is an issue the only option is to change poundage or arrows? Or will points help too?

Comment

Give us your bow specs and arrow specs

Comment

What are the specs on the bow (draw weight, draw length)? What spine and length arrows are you shooting? This info is always helpful when asking for tuning advice.

Also you had some things mixed up. Moving your sight right will move your shot left. Moving your rest right can move your shot right. So you had contradicting adjustments there. It sounds like you made some changes putting things back to center, I just wanted to mention that.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                        Give us your bow specs and arrow specs
                        Approx 55 lbs, gold tip 400 spine, 100 grain points,about 325 grains total

28 inch draw

Comment

following

Comment

Which Mathews bow are you trying to tune?

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                              Which Mathews bow are you trying to tune?
                              Z7

Comment

Working...
                              X