Polaris Sportsman issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polaris Sportsman issue

I have a Sportsman 500 EFI. It has been flawless for 4 years. Just recently it has started dying while idling. It starts up good. And stays running fine while driving. But more often than not it dies at an idle. Starts back up fine.

Other than changing the fuel filter, any thing else I can do or check to make sure it's running fine?

Thanks.

This is interesting. Should have googled first.

Keeping your Polaris ATV in tip-top shape means you must do some maintenance on the engine. One of these tasks is adjusting the valves on the Polaris ATV. These tips will help you keep your ATV running for a long time.

Comment

You can probably turn up the idle screw near the carb as well. Righty-tighty=higher idle.

Im not familiar with your bike, but the 4wheelers I owned had an external idle screw at the carb.

Edit... you said EFI. My bad.
      Last edited by LakeJake; 05-24-2018, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJake View Post
        You can probably turn up the idle screw near the carb as well. Righty-tighty=higher idle.

Im not familiar with your bike, but the 4wheelers I owned had an external idle screw at the carb.

Edit... you said EFI. My bad.
        Yessir. No idle adjustment. I'm gonna change the fuel filter and check the adjustment in the video.

Hopefully someone else will chime in too before I get up to centerville with no internet. =)

Comment

Wonder if fuel pressure is slightly low or if there’s a fuel restriction somewhere. Or maybe an air leak in the intake side.

Or change drivers and see if that fixes it. . Maybe find a Captain or Chief.
          Last edited by Worksalot; 05-25-2018, 01:03 AM.

Comment

Check the air filter too to make sure breathing good. The outer pre-prefilter screen can be washed in soap and water.

Comment

Put some seafoam in a tank of gas. Will probably help.

Comment

Sounds like something is causing it to die when at idle. Find out what that is and fix it. Should probably help.

Comment

I think your henweigh is out of alignment

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                    I have a Sportsman 500 EFI. It has been flawless for 4 years. Just recently it has started dying while idling. It starts up good. And stays running fine while driving. But more often than not it dies at an idle. Starts back up fine.

Other than changing the fuel filter, any thing else I can do or check to make sure it's running fine?

Thanks.
                    Bobby, I texted one of the techs at the stealership and he said to check the base gasket on the injector base and the bolts around the base gasket between the air intake and the engine. If those are good then there is some sort of pressure sensor harness that might be bad.

Comment

My Polaris 400 was doing EXACTLY what you described. New battery was all it needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well hell, my Honda does the same thing. Gonna check what the video says. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio Darin View Post
                          Check the air filter too to make sure breathing good. The outer pre-prefilter screen can be washed in soap and water.
                          I was going to suggest this as an easy first step in diagnosis. Critters like to nest in airboxes, especially over winter.

Comment

try running a tank of premium gas.

Comment

Thanks guys. Good info. It has an aftermarket air filter. I'll check that . And I recently had to jump start it for the first time so battery could be going bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X