blue eyed snake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

blue eyed snake

I caught a little snake this weekend and when I was relocating him I noticed his eyes were blue. I have never seen this before, but I remember you guys saying it was because he was about to shed his skin.

I assume this is just a little rat snake. He was about 18" long. I don't see many of these around my place.

IMHO, you are correct on both counts: 1. "blue eyes" means s/he is about to shed, 2. Texas Rat Snake.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

I’m not a snake expert, but I think that is a hognose. That’s cool

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
        I’m not a snake expert, but I think that is a hognose. That’s cool
        Stick with the first part of your sentence. Kidding, but that is not a hognose.

Comment

Originally posted by Double-O-Dave View Post
          IMHO, you are correct on both counts: 1. "blue eyes" means s/he is about to shed, 2. Texas Rat Snake.

Regards,

Dave
          Agreed on both!

Comment

Originally posted by Double-O-Dave View Post

Regards,

Dave
            Yep on both.

Skin will be kind of dull and blue, eyes will frost over like that. He'll shed in a day or two.

Comment

Their bellies will turn bright red before the eyes milk over.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                Stick with the first part of your sentence. Kidding, but that is not a hognose.

Lol!

Comment

They'll get even hazier than that. I've dang near stepped on rattlesnakes because of that. They can't see until you're right on top of them. I pulled a rattlesnake out of a hole last year,looked down and a 3 footer was coiled up next to my right boot.

Comment

fixing to shed old skin

even the skin over pupils is shed.

if you have enough of the shed skin, you can tell the species

Comment

I was expecting a crazy ex-girlfriend thread on that title...

D

Comment

rat snake

Comment

Definitely a rat. What people don't realize is they don't just eat a mouse here and there. These snakes have a memory of food source locations. When they find a nest, they will keep returning and eventually eat every mouse in it. Its the same thing with the eggs in my coupe. Once I get a rat snake, there is always a smaller one with it. They will not stop. I catch them and relocate them as they do way more good for us than we realize.
                          Last edited by wal1809; 05-22-2018, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X