RV Power issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RV Power issue

Went to the lease to do some work recently. My camper had power to it,no tripped breakers, GFCI was not tripped. The light on the microwave digital display was only proof that any power was going into the camper. nothing else showed any power.
    The batter has been dead for a long time, but that never seemed to affect the camper when it was plugged in. I have read though that this could possibly damage the converter. Is there something I can do to confirm that it is the converter or could all three twin breakers go bad at the same time?
    I was thinking of just ordering a new power converter, but thought I would put this out there to see if anyone else has had a similar problem and what they did to remedy it.
    Thanks in advance.

Does your converter have any fuses or breakers on it?

Comment

Put a new battery in it. If the lights come on, it's the converter.

Comment

I've heard that not running a battery will damage the invertor, also, but two RV's over a total of 8yrs with no battery on either, no problems....so far. Probably just guaranteed myself two blown invertors...........
        The 110v circuits should still be active, even if the invertor is bad. Get a meter and start at the power cord and work your way in, testing each junction. The invertor should only be powering the 12v stuff.
        Sounds like a main breaker issue. Good luck.

Comment

My RV will run on AC power fine with a completely dead battery but has to have a battery connected to work. I ran the dead battery for years and everything worked fine until it suddenly didn't. None of the AC circuits would power. I had to replace the invertor. I would replace both the battery and invertor and you shouldn't have to worry about for years.

Comment

Converter AC to DC

Inverter DC to AC

Comment

I had the exact same issue two weeks ago. Checked everything inside the camper and had no issues with blown fuses or tripped breakers. Power box in the barn only had 104 coming in on one side and 64 on the other. Walked the power line back out off the property and found a limb had fallen on it. Look for the easy stuff first.

Comment

Battery should have nothing to do with the Converter (115 vac to 12 vdc) working. The Converter will charge the battery. Do the 115 volt outlets work? They should be direct power from the pole through a breaker, probably part of the Converter assembly. As stated above check all the fuses and breakers. If you aren't an electrician or electronics person stop there. 115 volts kills more people than all other types of power combined.

Comment

Originally posted by Sloth View Post
                  Battery should have nothing to do with the Converter (115 vac to 12 vdc) working. The Converter will charge the battery. Do the 115 volt outlets work? They should be direct power from the pole through a breaker, probably part of the Converter assembly. As stated above check all the fuses and breakers. If you aren't an electrician or electronics person stop there. 115 volts kills more people than all other types of power combined.
                  Nothing works. No lights (12v), A/C, microwave or plugs

Comment

Originally posted by TXUSMC View Post
                    I had the exact same issue two weeks ago. Checked everything inside the camper and had no issues with blown fuses or tripped breakers. Power box in the barn only had 104 coming in on one side and 64 on the other. Walked the power line back out off the property and found a limb had fallen on it. Look for the easy stuff first.
                    Well, other campers are working from the same source, so I am certain it is my camper.

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
                      Does your converter have any fuses or breakers on it?
                      Three double 15 AMP breakers and several fuses. All of this seemed normal. all fuses were fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                        Put a new battery in it. If the lights come on, it's the converter.
                        I guess when I go back, I will will take both a converter and a battery.

Comment

If you get no 110 it is more than a converter...

Comment

Check your breaker coming off the pole or box outside the trailer. I have had one go bad. I changed it out and everything came on. Test it with a meter.

Comment

Sounds like a rat problem. They love to chew wires. Don't ask how I know.

Comment

Working...
                              X