Browning trail cam question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Browning trail cam question

I have a Browning Strike Force trail cam that usually works great. But a question: can grass swaying in the wind set this off? In addition to a couple of animal pictures, it made about 30 videos of nothing, e.g. the pic below.
    Attached Files

Yes,
    I have one of their newest models set to video and experienced the same over the last several weeks.

You know what model yours is?

Comment

Tall grass, yes. Is it strapped to a tree? The swaying of a tree will definitely trigger it.

Comment

Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

May be trees in background blowing in wind too.

Comment

Could be a bird flying by as well. I had a couple of mine set on video for a while...I'd get quite a few false triggers...or birds landing on camera and triggering it.

Skinny

Comment

I don't know the model off the top of my head, but it's a pretty basic model, cost some $80-$90, I think, 3 years ago. A Browning tech support guy told me it is triggered by a heat signature (i.e. body heat), not by things like tree limbs. But there's no other explanation, and it was pretty windy out there today.

Comment

I have about 6 browning cameras. I have a few that are very sensitive when it come to things blowing in the wind. But most of mine do not get activated by grass or things in the wind.
                basically, yes some of them are too sensitive.

Comment

I have about 6 browning cameras. I have a few that are very sensitive when it come to things blowing in the wind. But most of mine do not get activated by grass or things in the wind.
                  basically, yes some of them are too sensitive.

Comment

Movement of any kind will set any camera off...hence the term motion sensor.....

Comment

This is the Browning Strike Force HD 10MP.

Comment

I have 3 Brownings and have to make sure there's a clear path to wherever they're pointed.

I had a different brand set up at the edge of a cornfield once and had 600+ pics of the cornfield!

Comment

Yes along with most other cameras.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruark View Post
                            I don't know the model off the top of my head, but it's a pretty basic model, cost some $80-$90, I think, 3 years ago. A Browning tech support guy told me it is triggered by a heat signature (i.e. body heat), not by things like tree limbs. But there's no other explanation, and it was pretty windy out there today.
                            This is correct but the problem is when the sun is out and the wind is blowing it causes the camera to trigger because it's picking up the heat signature changing from shaded spots to sunny spots. For example, the camera is pointed to a shady spot and then the wind blows moving weeds and bushes causing that shady spot to be in the sun and thus the camera senses a change in temperature causing it to take a picture. This is why you will notice it takes a lot of pictures of nothing during a sunny windy day but at night it doesn't have that problem even though the wind is blowing at night. They also don't tend to take pictures of nothing during the winter during the day because there isn't a big enough temperature change in the winter between shaded spots and sunny spots.

So basically, yes it's the weeds and bushes causing it to take pictures of nothing but it's not picking up the weeds and bushes moving, it's picking up the change in temperature of shaded spots that suddenly become sunny spots.

Comment

I don't know my model number, but I had a Srtike Force facing due west that had the same problem on hot days. I changed the angle to facing southwest and it dramatically reduced false triggers. Just my experience.

Comment

Working...
                              X