Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knapping, because I don't have enough hobbies.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

11 completed so far. That big one is a bit rough. I got excited about a good piece of rock and got ahead of my skills. I stopped before I ruined it. Will come back to it later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Makes me want to give it a try. No shortage of flint/chert around here....

Comment

I have tried and made a really cool blue one on my first try and then I made a bunch of really small rocks after that.

Comment

Hey Jason.... made any more points? You inspired me to get my stuff out and bust some rock! Took me all day but I finally got a decent point made! Broke a couple and just plain messed a bunch up!
          Central Texas chert, heat treated in a turkey roaster, Copper bobbers and copper pressure flaker. 1 1/2" X 3"
          Click image for larger version

Name:	20170116_144855.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	24481040

Name:	20170116_144906.jpg
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	24481041

Name:	20170116_163622.jpg
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	24481042

Comment

Nice one, Matt. I've been chipping away on my lunch breaks. Up to about 23 points so far. Getting a bit better in some ways, but still ending up with thicker finished pieces than I'd like, and a few steps I can't get rid of. I've been working with Keokuk, dacite, glass, and some local raw chert. So far I can say that glass is easy, dacite is almost too fragile for my technique level, and the local un-heat treated stuff is tough. I'll shoot another picture of a few at lunch today. Yesterday I made my biggest point so far, about 3" long.

Comment

I did not even know that you heat treat flint. I had to look it up.

Comment

Local raw chert and two from Dacite. Have a couple of pieces of raw chert from my buddy's ranch at Llano to work next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I see a knapped knife happening, before it's over with!

Comment

Looking good so far!
                    You might check on the web and see if there is any knap inns going on this spring or summer!
                    A lot of flint knappers get together and break rock and exchange ideas and rock!

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                      I see a knapped knife happening, before it's over with!
                      Indeed. That's one of the things that started this whole misadventure.

Comment

I've never worked Dacite or Keokuk, I may have a few flakes of Keokuk in a box somewhere? Most of what I've worked has been glass, Obsidian, and local chert. My Gatesville deer lease has three or four different qualities of chert on it, and my Junction lease has another totally different chert on it. I currently have access to more chert than I'll ever knapp! Just found this bunch last week.

Name:	20170111_115616.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	293.4 KB
ID:	24481126

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Fry View Post
                          ...but still ending up with thicker finished pieces than I'd like, and a few steps I can't get rid of....
                          So far for me getting them thin is the toughest thing to do. I've gotten a lot better setting up the platforms which really help getting under those step fractures.
                          Another guy on youtube is Freeze Cracked, a little goofy sometimes but lots of info!

Your points are looking really good. Practice, practice, practice!!!

Comment

Any updates Jason??? I broke everything I tried today, made lots of gravel!

Comment

I've done another three or four since my last pic, but nothing interesting. I've been working on a big pile of rocks. My buddy brought me some cobbles from the Concho river, and I found a bunch in the dirt on my county road, all at least fist sized. One thing I've discovered is that every rock is different, even among rocks that look the same. I've found a few that work nicely, and quite a bunch that are really tough to break. I've got a stack of the better flakes going and may try and heat treat a few of the tougher variety. Or, I may throw all that junk away and just work with the good rocks

Comment

Every time I see this thread it initially reads "Kidnapping, because I don't have enough hobbies" lol

Every freaking time!

Comment

Working...
                                X