No announcement yet.

Homemade catfish baits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Link to old thread on my Catfish Cocaine http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...atfish+cocaine

The best part is you can eat it yourself in an emergency. I've fished many times with my cousin and it out caught the DK punch bait he uses almost 2 to 1 every time. I think the secret is in the bacon grease. It puts a slick in the water that carries the scent and helps waterproof it to keep it from melting away too fast.

Comment

ZOTE soap for bait?? Why?

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
        Link to old thread on my Catfish Cocaine http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...atfish+cocaine

The best part is you can eat it yourself in an emergency. I've fished many times with my cousin and it out caught the DK punch bait he uses almost 2 to 1 every time. I think the secret is in the bacon grease. It puts a slick in the water that carries the scent and helps waterproof it to keep it from melting away too fast.
        How much bacon does it take to come up with 2 pints of grease! i'd have blocked arteries before i had enough to make this stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by redoak77 View Post
          ZOTE soap for bait?? Why?
          it is something like 70% fat/tallow. old fashioned soaps used to be almost 100% tallow, but zote is one of the few left that is still fatty.

i've tried the unscented - only with little success. i have heard it works best when water temps are higher and the soap will "melt" a bit. sure smells better than stink bait. after a few months, it becomes too brittle though.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
            How much bacon does it take to come up with 2 pints of grease! i'd have blocked arteries before i had enough to make this stuff!
            It's cheap and it works. Caught a many catfish using Zote soap. Corn flakes and big red is cheap too.

Comment

Maybe you could sub lard or crisco for bacon grease?

Comment

Maybe you could sub lard or crisco for bacon grease?
                Sure could but it won't have the smell and cats are smell and taste feeders. Catfish bait doesn't have to smell bad or rotten. That's why garlic works so good in catfish bait. With 250,000 taste buds a cat is going to home in on about anything organic when they hongry. I'm sure they have a preferred menu item like shad or perch or worms but if none are available they will eat about anything even a rattle trap lure. http://www.gameandfishmag.com/fishin..._gf_aa076502a/

Comment

Hoot man brothers cheese bait

Comment

I used to try all kinds of different baits for catfish. Homemade and store bought. Then one day it hit me...it all works. I guess its like fishing lures for bass they all work its just fun to trick them with something else every once in while. Chicken liver is what I settled on for catfish after all the fun.

Comment

Try the catfish crack cheese and garlic. It's ever bit as good as Sonny's.

Comment

^

Comment

Perch or bream work great day or night. Heck with any of the stinky baits y'all can have it. I don't much like messing with catfish anyway but if I do I'm going with sour gummy worms don't laugh I've seen it work.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                            I have a recipe that my dad and his buddies used in Arkansas on yo-yo's. Doesn't stink, main ingredient is cotton seed meal, flour and asafetida. I could type it up, or I could fax a copy of the handwritten instructions. After finishing, it is cooked and sealed in mason jars.
                            Would like the recipe for this! Could you PM it to me?

Comment

Originally posted by slicktricker View Post
                              Perch or bream work great day or night. Heck with any of the stinky baits y'all can have it. I don't much like messing with catfish anyway but if I do I'm going with sour gummy worms don't laugh I've seen it work.

My grandson catches them with gummy worms all the time. He catches so many I make him use barbless hooks. The absolute best way to fish for catfish is to chum soured grain and fish it with whatever bait you like.

Comment

stubby's catfish bait

Comment

Working...
                                X