Madison Cty Doe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Madison Cty Doe

My son in law and me hunted hard all weekend through Sunday morning. We have so many yearling does this year and many are mamas that it is kind of hard to pick one to take. It's tough to try to thin the herd when mama is not much bigger than her fawn or the other fawns running around. The older does aren't really coming into our stands. We will see them come across the pastures but well out of bow range. We also have a ton of yearling bucks, several are 8 pt. This being the case when we had deer in bow range, they were all young including the bucks so we hadn't taken any shots until Sunday morning. We are also shooting video of our hunts and my son and sil aren't used to this at all.

I had a couple come in that I decided I would try to take if they came in range. We don't have our feeders in bow range due to the number of deer that are usually under them at the same time. Makes it hard to get a clear shot. I had spread a line of Buck Grub just beyond the creek that my stand is set up on to draw them off the feeder and into range. I had does come to it but not the ones I wanted. At around 8:40 I had a couple of deer come in behind me and go through the creek out into the pasture. One was a large spike and although I had finally seen a buck I would shoot if the opportunity presented itself, I decided I would burn my buck tag to get the spike out of the breeding pool. He never came into range and was acting like he was going to leave. I hadn't used the grunt call this season yet but pulled it out of my pack and grunted at him. He came back but still didn't quite get into range. About 8:50 I called my SIL on the walkie talkie to see if he had managed a shot and he had. I told him I had a bit of activity going on so I was going to sit a while longer and he was going to start looking for his doe. He had put a great shot on a larger doe. The video is great for determining whether or not you hit the mark well and he had.

At 8:55 I had three more deer come behind me and cross the creek into the pasture. The largest doe without a fawn came to the "Grub". I turned the camera on and clipped on my release. I drew and let the slick trick tipped gold tip fly. I did not make a good shot. I was disappointed with the shot placement as the arrow was far back and sticking out of the doe. Rushed my shot! I called my SIL and he had not located his deer yet so I told him I was going to get down and look for blood then I would come help him. I found some good blood then went to help my SIL.

We tracked his deer for a good distance still on my property and then the blood just stopped. We had looked for a couple of hours while I was with him. We came to my fence line having marked the blood we were finding then a trail back to it with TP and would come back after we went to find mine. We did walk down a private road behind my place to see if she might have come out there and cross on the my back neighbor's place. Nothing!

We went to where my doe had crossed the fence into my neighbors place on the front of my property and got on a good blood trail. Even with a less than desirable shot we found her less than 50 yds over the fence. She may have been 60 yds as the crow flies from where she was standing when I took the shot.

We took her to the house and got her quartered, ate some lunch and then went back to try to pick up the trail of his deer. We searched for a couple more hours using a grid pattern but couldn't find her or anymore blood. He was not happy. This is the first deer he has lost since his first year bowhunting five years ago. The shot should have put her down.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	PA154566crop (Small).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	24716004

Congrats!

Nice doe! Congrats!

Last edited by Snakelover; 10-18-2006, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Thanks David, never change my avatar, think I will now.

Comment

Nice one Bill.

Comment

Great freezer filler! Sorry you couldnt find the other doe....keep em coming!

Comment

Good going Texhunter!! That's some mighty fine eating right there!

Are you seeing any signs of the rut yet?

Comment

Does eat good.congrats.

Comment

Congratulations Bill! The deer management program this year is tough with so many does still running with late season fawns. It will all sort out in due time and cooler weather means easier processing.

Comment

Congrats on the doe!

Comment

nice doe congrats!

Comment

Good story and doe. Congrats!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Thanks guys. Johnny it's time for rut but I'm not seeing any sign. We have so many does though that we often don't see it full blown. I think it is too easy for the bucks.

I'm working on the video and hope to post it soon.

Comment

Congrats! She will make fine chicken fried backstrap.

Comment

Congratulations on your doe!

Comment

Working...
                              X