Spike Population Decreased by One...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spike Population Decreased by One...

Two weeks ago was my first opportunity to bow hunt during the 2006 season. It was a fun, but frustrating weekend. The only deer I saw – three does – would not come any closer than 60 yards from my stand during an evening hunt. The other three hunts during this trip were non-eventful unless you are a bird watcher. I left that weekend empty-handed…

With the pending cold front and after receiving a ton of razzin’ at work, I began working on the “kitchen pass” early in the week. Mason had a playoff football game Saturday morning, so with the kitchen pass in hand; I headed out right after lunch. Much to my surprise, my Dad accompanied me at the last moment. We arrived at the lease at ~4:00. I quickly unpacked, suited up and was on my stand by 4:45. It was an overcast evening so I was hoping to have at least two hours in the woods before all shooting light was gone. About 6:00 the same three does from two weeks prior appeared. Again, they would not come any closer than 60 yards or so. This sighting was more entertaining though... They came in and out of the woods several times and ran around my box blind like my four year old after he consumes a pixie stick! Even though I cussed all of them silently - multiple times - it was a hilarious hour of amusement. I climbed out of my ladder stand just before 7:00.

My plan was to try out an old stand at a new location Sunday morning. We woke up and it was 45 degrees and WINDY! After consuming some breakfast, piping hot coffee and suiting up, I was on stand way before sunlight. I was rocked back and forth – sometimes violently – 15’ above the ground because of the swirling winds. It was a beautiful sunrise; however, there was no activity and I was getting a bit discouraged…until…I just finished a series grunt calls. I had just got the call out of my mouth and I looked down and to my right and there stood a young spike. I have no clue as to where this guy came from – he just appeared. He ate the golden nuggets I strategically placed the night before for about 15 minutes; however, he was quartering toward me and a small oak blocked any shot opportunity I had. He finally turned and started to trot down a path. I knew it was now or never. I drew, placed my pin on his ribs, released and heard a glorious THWACK. It wasn’t long before I knew I rushed the shot. When the deer turned he only offered me a severe quartering away shot. I hit him high and to the rear. The shot broke his back and I had to finish him off with another arrow.

Not much of a rack, but 1) you can’t eat antlers and 2) I hunt on a tree farm in East Texas – if you have a shot, and the deer is legal, you take it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kevin with Spike.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	24716301

Click image for larger version

Name:	Spike 2006.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	24716302

My dad saw two does Sunday morning but he couldn’t seal the deal. He was happy non-the-less. It was another great weekend in the woods with my Dad, and this time I didn’t leave empty-handed.

Congrats on the spike.

Comment

Congrats hey it's meat int the freezer.

Comment

Cool Kevin. Nice spike.

Comment

Congrats on filling the feeder and keeping the spike population in control.

Comment

Nice spike congrats.

Comment

Congrats Kevin!

Comment

Dandy spike; kill 'em all! You are correct. They eat well. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Congrats on the spike

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

Mmmm tasty! Congrats.

Comment

Congrats on the spike

Comment

Way to go Kevin!

Comment

Congrats on the spike.