lee ranch success ! 1st bowkill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lee ranch success ! 1st bowkill

Place : LEE RANCH. 15MIN OUTSIDE HONDO TEXAS.

Time : OCT 24-26TH 2014

Conditions: NO RAIN. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 80'S,... MORNING TEMPS IN UPPER 70'S

Weapon: 65LB MATHEWS CREED. BEMAN ARROWS WITH MUZZY 3 125. GRAIN

Contact : RAY BOAZMAN : 210 827 0777 / WWW.LEERANCHBOWHUNTING.COM

Was invited thru a friend up to the Lee Ranch 15 min outside of Hondo , tx this past weekend.
    Being a new bowhunter - I had no idea what to expect of day leases or of how they worked, what to do, what animals to be seen...etc.
    Drove up with my friends from San Antonio, meeting up with the guide and a very nice couple from Corpus. ( Ponche & Tanya )
    The guide showed us the camp, the barns, how everything around camp worked and what was where. The camp house itself was really nice with a cool inner living room/kitchen area with rooms to either side sleeping 4 hunters each, with own bathroom.
    Around 5:30pm the guide took us out and placed us in our spots. Driving out that evening we saw some big looking aoudad, fallow, black buck and rams.
    I was in a 12 foot I believe tripod stand. The truck was barely down the rd out of sight and hogs came rushing in ! I have never even seen a wild hog in my life ! Needless to say my heart was racing and if I did not tumble out of the stand due to my breathing,.. and sure my shaking bow arm would !
    A group of 20 + made their way into the shooting lane
    My shot went high and spice shot the hog. Went down like a ton of bricks. Had to shoot another and put it out for good.
    MORE HOGS still coming in ! I tried to shoot another and shot way over it's back, by that time all the corn was pretty much vacumned up, so I just enjoyed the evening until the guide came and picked us up.

That evening,.. we had a blast bar b qing, drinking beer, shooting at the targets and telling stories. Everyone had shots on hogs and close call with ponche and a HUGE whitetail he saw. We tracked a hog that one of the hunters shot but no luck.
    Next morning out in the hunting area by 6:50am guide corned us all. Again here comes the pigs - my girlfriend was with me in the blind and I know she was just as excited as me ! Ugh ! Nope --- shot high again,...miss.
    However, we saw more fallow, whitetail, aoudad, and rams.
    Make a long store longer , we all shot at and hit or missed our share of hogs and had a blast ! It was great meeting the other couple there in camp. The guide was a awesome guy to be around and took the time to educate me on hunting and dispense all kinds of good advice.
    Overall for my first time - everything was amazing, clean, well organized, professional and loads of animals. I'm surely going to rebook soon !

Here are some pics from the weekend : --->
    Attached Files

more pictures :
    Attached Files

Comment

Great write up

Comment

Nice looking place. Congrats on the hogs.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyMullet View Post
          Great write up
          x2. Sounds like you're hooked for sure.

Comment

great write up! Remember to bend at the waist when hunting from a high position to keep your triangle the same......shots will always be high if you drop your arm. Ask me how I know?

Comment

Nice place and great write up!

Comment

Did y'all see any axis does?

Comment

Or whitetail does?

Comment

Congrats

Comment

I really want to hunt that place before it sells!

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
                        I really want to hunt that place before it sells!

It's for sale?

Comment

looks like a dang nice place! Reminds me of the first time I went bowhunting (Escondido ranch, south texas)...way to go on your kill!!

Comment

Lots of targets! Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by JackFlash View Post
                              great write up! Remember to bend at the waist when hunting from a high position to keep your triangle the same......shots will always be high if you drop your arm. Ask me how I know?
                              Thanks for the advice. Guide told me of this issue with form shooting the higher stands like I was sitting, Thanks as well !

I saw large numbers of whitetail, both does and bucks.

Saw plenty of Aoudad. Ewes and bigger males.
                              Whole heard of axis bucks and does we saw on the way out to stands, none came to my sets though.
                              Kiddos had a bunch come thru them on the cactus flats and one stand that was also about middle of the loop.

Comment

Working...
                              X