Nolan Co. Buck down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nolan Co. Buck down

Well I believe this is my biggest deer and will by my first whitetail shoulder mount. I took him in Nolan Co., TX.

Saturday October 14th, FireAG and I were bow hunting at my Aunt’s place near Sweetwater. It was a warm day and I didn’t expect much movement. I did place Jeff at my windmill stand in hopes that it was the best place to catch anything, especially since I had been burning out the stand I was hunting in. I was so convinced that I would not see anything but the young bucks and does with yearlings that I moved my chair into a more comfortable position so I could stretch out and sleep.
    About 630pm I woke up from my nap and sat up and was just enjoying being where I was when I noticed a deer with a large neck coming through the brush. I knew he was a mature buck so I grabbed my bow just incase he was a shooter. He came busting into the feeding area like he owned the place and like he was making an entrance. I saw that he was a bit younger than I was hoping and that he could really be a trophy with another few years, but at this ranch I knew he’d get blown away if any of the owners allowed any guests to hunt this fall.
    By any means, this deer was bigger than any I had ever taken and was exactly what I had been hoping for on that location. My last concern was his spread, he looked my direction and that’s when I knew I was going to draw down on him. He was broadside at 24yards and I played some string music watching him run off with my fletchings sticking out of his heart. I knew it was a good hit and I was so excited that I just could barely contain myself to keep quiet and let the deer slip off.
    I exited the area very quietly and hiked to where Jeff had parked the truck. I waited about 45 minutes, confident of my shot and headed back to look for my arrow and check for blood. While hiking in I saw a deer sitting in a little clearing about 50yrds from where I shot my buck. I immediately squatted down and watched the deer. I didn’t think it was my buck, but it worried me that I just pushed my trophy by being arrogant enough to go check on him too soon. I then headed back to the truck to wait for Jeff. We waited until about an hour past dark and then headed with lights to search for him. We found little blood for about 30yrds then nothing, not even my arrow. This really worried me. Additionally there was a storm that was about to hit and wash away any blood we had. Sickly, I decided to come back the next morning.
    After not sleeping all night worrying about losing my buck because I had pushed him, Jeff and I headed back out to start the search in the rain. We searched for about an hour and a half with no results. On the way back to the truck for a break I spotted the white belly I had been looking for, 30yrds from the feeder. Apparently, I did push him, but he was sick. He made a little circle back to the feeder and lay down. He still had my arrow in him. What I think happened is that he stepped towards me when I shot and that quartered him towards me. I made a lot of mistakes on this giant, but I learned some important lessons.

I’m so glad Jeff was there to keep cool and find the blood trail. Without your hunting partner there for some confidence it could have been a long painful grid-searching job. The rest is in the pics!

PS-TxRattler, THANKS for the muzzy’s that you gave me at Thompson’s this past May. For a bad shot, they saved my butt and set this deer down not more than 40yrds from my feeder.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeremy's deer 1 a.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	24716112

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeremy's deer 2b.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	24716113

Congrats, that's a nice one!

Comment

Great buck. Congrats

Comment

Great looking buck. He will be a dandy on the wall.

Comment

The Nolan County Giant! Congrats man I know you worked for it. If we are going to continue the legend of VE's then I nominate you.
          Last edited by nsbowhunter; 10-18-2006, 02:20 PM.

Comment

good buck, how wide was he?

Comment

Just what I'm looking for. Congratulations!

Comment

Not a darn thing wrong with that one what so ever! I'm glad you found him. Congrats.

Comment

Always great to see nice bucks from home.

Comment

Congrats on a great buck!

Comment

Excellent writeup and great buck. I will second the nomination for VE.

Comment

Great deer Jeremy!! Congratulations!!

Comment

yes sir! nice buck

Comment

Great buck! He will make a nice mount!!

Comment

Nice deer.

Comment

Working...
                              X