DIY/ build along hydraulic Shredder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY/ build along hydraulic Shredder

Building a hydraulic powered shredder/brush hog/mulcher for a skid-steer loader quick connect.

I bought one at an auction that was originally for a high-flow hydraulic machine so I converted it over to standard flow hydraulics and modified it to be a little more aggressive. It has worked well so far. A neighbor asked me to build one to run on his Bobcat 763 which is a smaller, 15gpm machine.

Starting with a used deck...I don't think it was ever actually used...a 60" deck originally for a hydraulic arm/tractor setup ...much like an excavator.

I have about $1000 into parts, plus $450 for the deck. All the parts have been purchased from Surplus Center, online...except for the Connect Under Pressure flatfaced couplers....they were purchased from Baileys Hydraulics

Comment

Tagged

Comment

This will have a right angle gearbox that is powered by a hydraulic motor. I'll cover the specs and math formula later.

Omni Gear RC-71 with a 1:1.46 ratio (speed increaser). I wanted a 1:1.93 (two to one) but couldn't even get one custom built.

Comment

Tagged. I've got a gehl I would like to check into building a deck for

Comment

Gearbox is now where it needs to be...4 holes, 3/4" diameter through 7/8" steel.

Comment

Next step is getting the standard AG 6-spline collar to stay in place. I will be drilling a hole through it to place a bolt though it, securing it to the input shaft of the gearbox.

Comment

Collar installed. Hydraulic motor will sit here...next step is to build the mount to hold her in place.

Comment

Cut a piece of 5/16" plate, 10"x6". Drilled a 3.25" hole in the center for the hub-centric motor. Two 1/2" holes for the mounting bolts.

Comment

The plate will get welded to the deck.

Comment

That is awesome. I wish I could do work like that. I have been wanting a skid steer with a mulcher or shredder. My wife would die if I rolled up in the driveway with one. It would be a great day.

Comment

Originally posted by HainesNYT View Post
                        Cut a piece of 5/16" plate, 10"x6". Drilled a 3.25" hole in the center for the hub-centric motor. Two 1/2" holes for the mounting bolts.
                        take you a few pieces of 1/2" square stock and weld on each side of the motor...That way all your torque in not on just the 2 screws....

Comment

Originally posted by yanta61 View Post
                          take you a few pieces of 1/2" square stock and weld on each side of the motor...That way all your torque in not on just the 2 screws....

The "screws" are 1/2" grade 8 bolts. This is my second shredder running one of these motors and I have a third motor in a vibrating drum roller I built...no issues on any of them yet; however, I will look into your idea as the old saying goes "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". Thanks for the advice!

Comment

So here is the formula I have been able to come up with to determine blade tip speed (BTS) in Feet per minute (FPM).
                            Attached Files

Comment

To all of those Who waited with bated breath, I am back at it. Sorry for the delay.

The last piece of the blade carrier is at the machine shop in D'Hanis right now getting the center hole cut in it. I had purchased a 1/2", 4x8 sheet and brought it to a place in Castroville to be cut out on a plasma table. We somehow missed the center, 2.5" hole on the main plate....and I am concerned about the weight and balance so this is the reason the machinist is cutting it out.

The center hub had a pressed fit into the first plate. I welded the inside and ground it down so it fits flush with the next plate. Then I welded 3 more beads on the tops side... Overlapping.

I spent a lot of time waiting for it to cool to prevent it from warping.

Comment

Working...
                              X