Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-29-2020, 12:20 PM   #1
deerdynasty
Four Point

Hunt In: Same
Default Venison and Cholesterol...

Does anyone have the REAL facts? My Dr. says my Cholesterol is 230 and i need to cut back red meat - or cut it out. i told him i only eat venison from my ranch. Whitetail, Axis, Fallow and Sika deer. maybe a burger a few times a yr... He said venison is high in Cholesterol.

After my internet search i found some say it is high some say it isn't...

Some say its high in the GOOD cholesterol and low in the bad?

Some say Alaska Sika deer have very little cholesterol compared to other deer? Why would that be?

Some say: Venison and beef have about the same levels of saturated fatty acids, but venison is far lower in monounsaturated fatty acids and is higher in polyunsaturated fatty acids ó which is a good thing.

Some say (man i hope this is true) : GAME MEAT like venison has 20 percent of the fat in beef (although it does have slightly more cholesterol). Eating venison can lower LDL cholesterol and increase HDL. Amount: The USDA recommends 6 to 7 ounces a day.

Anyone have proof of the truth of venison and cholesterol?

thank you!
deerdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2020, 12:36 PM   #2
easeup
Ten Point

dont know........but he said "cut back" that's what he means
easeup is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2020, 12:42 PM   #3
3DW5
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon Co, Jim Hogg and Starr Co.

230 is not really that bad, 250 is usually when Doctors start worrying.
3DW5 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2020, 12:54 PM   #4
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

Typically they focus on your LDL levels more so than total. I believe goal is to be below 130. Mine was 155 & Im on a statin 2x per week for now.
Why not consider substituting some known heart healthy foods & some known to help lower cholesterol. Cheerios, oatmeal for breakfast. Try avocados, whole grains, nuts, more fruit & vegetables for fiber. Pomegranate juice is also known to help lower cholesterol & is pretty tasty to me.
Could also factor in some cardio 90-120 minutes per week
Some basic lifestyle changes with diet & exercise can help
HogHunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2020, 03:06 PM   #5
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerdynasty View Post
Does anyone have the REAL facts? My Dr. says my Cholesterol is 230 and i need to cut back red meat - or cut it out. i told him i only eat venison from my ranch. Whitetail, Axis, Fallow and Sika deer. maybe a burger a few times a yr... He said venison is high in Cholesterol.

Some say Alaska Sika deer have very little cholesterol compared to other deer? Why would that be?

Some say: Venison and beef have about the same levels of saturated fatty acids, but venison is far lower in monounsaturated fatty acids and is higher in polyunsaturated fatty acids ó which is a good thing.

Some say (man i hope this is true) : GAME MEAT like venison has 20 percent of the fat in beef (although it does have slightly more cholesterol). Eating venison can lower LDL cholesterol and increase HDL. Amount: The USDA recommends 6 to 7 ounces a day.

thank you!
Well, being you cant eat venison anymore, I will be by to pick the rest of it.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2020, 03:14 PM   #6
MadHatter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerdynasty View Post

thank you!
Think about long term.
Everyone has an opinion but plenty of evidence to show, cutting out red meat altogether is good idea.
Heart Disease is the number one killer in the US.
50/50 chance you already have it.
The USDA, would reccomend cyanide if someone paid them enough .
Crookedest crooks there are.
MadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2020, 03:50 PM   #7
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kick CoViD's tail!

I quit eating beef in June 2019. There was a time that I didn't buy it at all for most of 20 years. Then, about 8 years ago, I started buying it again. But after being put on 2 meds for BP. And one for cholesterol, with the possibility of starting some A1c meds last June, I just decided to change my diet all together. And go back to the diet I used to have. Now my LDL is 85 points lower. And all my lipids are in acceptable limits. I've had one piece of red meat since June. And that was some buffalo I already had (back in June). Been eating a lot of chicken and turkey for meats. And some fishes. But no dark red meat fish. And no shell fish of any kind. I have always liked vegetables no matter how they are cooked. So that has helped some. And I'm not a sweets feller. Don't do icecream, cakes, sweet breads, or any kind of candy.

I am so looking forward to this fall season. Cause I'm gonna kill my limit of deer again! So I can have some mammal meats. Any running game, or wild game, is gonna be better than most meats you get out of the store.

BTW, I've lost between 45 and 50 lbs and am 5'-7". And currently in the lower 190s. I'm planning to get back into exercising very very soon to drop the rest of the weight. I'm limited to the types of exercise I can do. As I've some genetic difference in my blood. And a back and major joints that are giving me problems. Exercise is a key ingredient in raising your HDL, the good cholesterol.

Last edited by Texas Grown; 03-29-2020 at 03:53 PM.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2020, 03:52 PM   #8
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Some people just run a bit higher on cholesterol than others. Take an honest look at your eating and exercise habits.

Read the book wheat belly. Start or broaden your exercise regime and eat a bit better and you will be back at sub 200 without necessarily eliminating venison from your diet.

Last edited by Pedernal; 03-29-2020 at 03:55 PM.
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2020, 04:09 PM   #9
deerdynasty
Four Point

thx for info gang. would love to know the fat breakdown in venison vs beef... polyunsaturated vs saturated...
Old 03-29-2020, 06:06 PM   #10
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

The factor we cannot control is genetics. Had a sergeant that worked for me some years back---he was a sub-3-hr marathon runner, had about 4% body fat, and cholesterol was above 320--- Now, that doesn't mean you don't work at lowering it as much as possible. I am fortunate that the statin dose I'm on knocked my levels to the 130 region--doc and I are pleased with the "perfect clinical response" to the meds and the side effects have not been noticeable to me.
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2020, 06:19 PM   #11
BarW
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tyler, Polk, Angelina counties, Colorado

Do your deer eat mostly wild edibles or do they mostly eat corn and protein from feeders.
Grass fed beef is a lot different than feedlot beef.
I'm sure deer are no different.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
BarW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2020, 06:23 PM   #12
El Viejo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

I asked my doctor pretty much the same question in regards to cholesterol and venison. He was honest and told me he didn't know the answer. I'm sure some grad student somewhere has done the research on this. It's just a matter of finding the data.
El Viejo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2020, 06:29 PM   #13
RattlesnakeDan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

Some of the most fit people I know have high cholesterol and fat guys are low very often. Everyone is different and they will convince you that you need this or that to live but most of this and that is what is killing people. Trust Jesus....walk with Him...talk with Him..all day.
Fast one day a week if you want your health restored.
RattlesnakeDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2020, 07:22 PM   #14
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Venison is good cholesterol. It is actually better than chicken.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Burntorange Bowhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2020, 07:29 PM   #15
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

I'm a fat guy and my good cholesterol has always been great. No clue why. Maybe genetics.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2020, 08:17 PM   #16
SaintBlaise
Six Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

You didn't mention your lifestyle. Do you do any cardio? If not, start now and pay a little more attention to your eating habits. I think your blood test had a lot to do with what you ate in the previous few days.

When I was very fit, I couldn't get my cholesterol below 198. Last time I hit 230, and the doctor said my good cholesterol was perfect...so don't worry about anything. But, I still try to watch what I eat, which includes eating lunch out once a week and deer burgers weekly. Also run 10-12 miles a week.
SaintBlaise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2020, 09:17 PM   #17
RattlesnakeDan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

The other thing about Cholesterol is that the body "flushes" it out and if you get tested when there is a dump it will read very high, but afterwards can give a low reading.
RattlesnakeDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2020, 09:50 PM   #18
TradHunter
Six Point

Keep in mind total cholesterol does not mean jack. HDL : triglyceride ratio is what you need to look at.

Personally, Iíd rather have elevated total cholesterol than take statin drugs. But thatís just me.

Do your own research come to your own conclusion.
TradHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2020, 09:52 PM   #19
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk, Trinity Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by doghouse View Post
I'm a fat guy and my good cholesterol has always been great. No clue why. Maybe genetics.
Same here. My doctor told me my cholesterol should be high, that was twenty years ago. We eat about 80% venison to 20% beef in red meat, and have for a long time. Itís still not high. I think dustoffer has it right.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2020, 08:03 AM   #20
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

It's not red meat - it's fatty red meat like ribeyes and high fat content ground beef.

Lean red meat is recommended by the American Heart Association is key to reducing cholesterol. Also, most people eat too much food which increases overall cholesterol.

I struggled for a long time with high LDL, low Triglycercides (which is a good thing), high HDL (also good) and high overall cholesterol. I was 20+ pounds overweight.

Here's what I did to get and keep my numbers in check:
Get and stay active. Exercise is key to keeping the heart working.

Lean meat - venison, red meat, lean ground beef, occasionally chicken (I do not prefer chicken), fish. Avoid cooking any food in oil.

Increase leafy green vegetables and other high fiber vegetables. Think of this as casting a fiber net to sweep the fat from blood vessels.

Take Metamucil once a day (again, a fiber net to clean up the blood).

Lose weight - eat only when hungry, drink water throughout the day, eat slowly and stop when full. I know my ideal weight is 150 pounds. If I get above 155, my cholesterol goes up.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2020, 11:02 PM   #21
deerdynasty
Four Point

great info guys. thank you. i do exercise. not a ton but 3-4 times a week. high reps with weights as well as treadmill/bike. hr or so a day when i do.

i would love to see the TRUE breakdown of venison good/bad cholesterol. the good the bad the ugly. the internet is a joke. also read alaska sika deer has almost NO cholesterol wonder why?
Old 04-01-2020, 12:25 AM   #22
Kevin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin and Argentina, Zambia, Kyrgyzstan

My cardiologist said if you are going to eat red meat, venison is a good choice. That is along with a lot of green, leafy fresh vegetables.

Eating more veggies than meat is great but exercising is just as important. Not weights, but hardcore cardio.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2020, 07:00 AM   #23
Hooverfb
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarW View Post
Do your deer eat mostly wild edibles or do they mostly eat corn and protein from feeders.
Grass fed beef is a lot different than feedlot beef.
I'm sure deer are no different.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
This. Just like what you eat affects your health, what the deer eat will affect theirs. And since you're eating them, yours. Not sure where you're at, but could try planting more alfalfa, clover, beans, etc.
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2020, 07:17 AM   #24
DRettele
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas, Kansas unit #6 & 8

A low dose statin was the only thing that brought my cholesterol down. I was above 230 even after I made dietary changes and started running 3-4 times a week to get off of my BP meds. I have always been on the thin side being 6ft and never over 190lbs. My doc thought it was unusual that my cholesterol stayed high after my changes and ran an indepth blood test. Basically he found that my high cholesterol is in my genetics and the 10mg statin has brought my cholesterol to less than 120.
DRettele is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2020, 07:25 AM   #25
sports
Six Point

Hunt In: Quanah

Try the TPWD website they have a meat comparison chart that list great nutrition info for various meat and wild game
sports is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top