X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Way cool.

-john

Comment

Been in the safe cracking business for more than 20 years and I still learn something new almost every day. More times than not, those old safes never open, even with the "correct combination! Congratulations!

Todd

Comment

Thanks for sharing...…………………….
        Now, call Geraldo and rub his nose in it...…………...

Comment

Awesome ness

Comment

Cool story, and good pics of the safe. Getting those numbers to work, and not finding that tear gas the hard way I agree, Grandmother might have been around.

Comment

You sir have skill of being extremely lucky!

Comment

This thread will make classic status. That is an excellent write up and thank you for posting. Are you guys gonna have the coin collections appraised?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby View Post
                  Another thing that I found interesting and you probably will also...

When it first opened... the smell... you know, that old smell. Like walking into a 100 year old house. I know the safe isn't airtight but the smell hit me like a ton of bricks as soon as it cracked open.
                  That was the ghost exiting. Great post.

Comment

Originally posted by manwitaplan View Post
                    This thread will make classic status. That is an excellent write up and thank you for posting. Are you guys gonna have the coin collections appraised?

This is one set. Value of appx $50

National Collector’s Mint is a nationally recognized coin and collectibles company located in Purchase, NY. Founded in 1994, the company has grown from a small two-person operation to a company of more than 50 people. Former U.S. Congressman Barry Goldwater, Jr. and Angela Marie (Bay) Buchanan, the 37th Treasurer of the United States, co-chair our Board of Advisors and serve as spokespeople for our company.

The other set is a bicentennial coin set. Value of appx $20

Not of great value but as they're still in their original packaging, they'll be worth something one day.

Comment

Cool story but I can’t help but believe it would have been a little more entertaining if the gas would have been released.

Comment

When it first opened... the smell... you know, that old smell. Like walking into a 100 year old house. I know the safe isn't airtight but the smell hit me like a ton of bricks as soon as it cracked open.

Now...see that is something that cannot be duplicated. Awesomeness.

Comment

That is super cool Clint

I would find a place and park that in my living room with just a wipe down.

You probably know this but those safes were lined with asbestos

I found one several years ago that had my last name painted on it but they wanted $4500 for it and I didn't want it that bad

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                            That is super cool Clint

I would find a place and park that in my living room with just a wipe down.

You probably know this but those safes were lined with asbestos

I found one several years ago that had my last name painted on it but they wanted $4500 for it and I didn't want it that bad

From what I’ve read, there’s mixed reviews about it being asbestos. The general consensus is that it’s not asbestos but has asbestos mixed with it.

I doubt I’ll “fully restore” it although it would be cool looking. I don’t have the time, equipment or resources. If I did it myself with what I have on hand, it wouldn’t look any better than it does now. I found where I can order the inside door decal that depicts the original date of the patent. I’ll definitely clean it up, especially the locking mechanism as it’s gummed up. I’m going to experiment on a couple areas to see if I can remove the last layer of paint to reveal the pin striping and original decals inside. I’ll be on the lookout for an interior door latch as well. But yeah, either just a good cleaning or restored, I’d like it parked in the living room or my office.

Comment

Very cool.

Comment

Not sure why I thought of the Goonies while reading this thread. Awesome write and cool find. I really like the part of telling your wife you’d wait for her. And the. There was no gold bars!

J/K

Comment

Working...
                                X