Easton Arrows Spine/Weight Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easton Arrows Spine/Weight Question

Looking into getting some new arrows for this upcoming hunting season. Still fairly new to bow hunting so I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to arrow spine/weight.

I've been looking at both the Easton Axis 5mm or Easton FMJ 5mm. Would like to run 50 or 75 grain brass inserts with 125 grain broadheads. I currently shoot a Mathews VXR 31.5 with 29" draw at 65#. The Easton arrow spine chart currently has me around the 300 spine mark for both the Axis and FMJ, assuming my arrows are cut at 28" which is what I currently shoot, and utilize a 50 or 75 grain brass insert.

Below are the 4 scenarios I have looked at and their calculated total arrow weights:
    - Axis, 300 spine, 28" arrow, 65#, 125g broadhead, 50g insert = 474.6 Total Arrow Weight
    - Axis, 300 spine, 28" arrow, 65#, 125g broadhead, 75g insert = 499.6 Total Arrow Weight
    - FMJ, 300 spine, 28" arrow, 65#, 125g broadhead, 50g insert = 511 Total Arrow Weight
    - FMJ, 300 spine, 28" arrow, 65#, 125g broadhead, 75g insert = 536 Total Arrow Weight

My question is: which arrow setup would be the best for whitetail/hog/exotic hunting here in Texas around the hill country, mostly out of tree stand or pop up blind with 20-50 yard shots. Also, am I at risk of being under/over spine with any of those particular combinations?

Thanks in advance.

Heavier is slower, but quieter.
    I haven't changed arrows in a long time, so I'm sure there will be someone along to give you more information, but based on your setup, I think the 300s are too much for your bow. When I shot 63# and a 28" arrow, I used 400s.

Also consider a tad longer arrow. Yes your bow will shoot a shorter arrow, but do you want a razor sharp projectile that close to your hand? I always let the arrow stick out a little past the riser, so the head isn't over my hand. Lengthening your arrow isn't going to slow it down any noticeable amount.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
      Heavier is slower, but quieter.
      I haven't changed arrows in a long time, so I'm sure there will be someone along to give you more information, but based on your setup, I think the 300s are too much for your bow. When I shot 63# and a 28" arrow, I used 400s.

Also consider a tad longer arrow. Yes your bow will shoot a shorter arrow, but do you want a razor sharp projectile that close to your hand? I always let the arrow stick out a little past the riser, so the head isn't over my hand. Lengthening your arrow isn't going to slow it down any noticeable amount.
      300 is what I got when looking at this chart. I guess technically it says 340 or 300 with 28" arrow and 50g or 75 insert at 65#. But considering I went to a longer arrow like a 29" it puts me in the standalone 300. Also, I believe this chart accounts for a 100g broadhead and I was planning on going with 125g so I figured I would need a stiffer spine regardless.
      Attached Files

Comment

I shoot dang near the same specs as you.. 29 inch draw at 70 lbs.i use the 0t2 app for spine.. i shoot axis 300 match with 75 grains of brass 27.25 inch arrow . 4 q2 fusion 2.1 vanes and nocturnal nocks.. 125 grain head my total arrow weight is 540 grains .

The spine charts don't account for weighted inserts. You can download the ap for 12 bucks with all the add ons ..
        Stiffer is better than weaker. I have some 250 spine arrows that I shoot out of a 65 lb bow that fly great.

Comment

Originally posted by breeds13 View Post
          Looking into getting some new arrows for this upcoming hunting season. Still fairly new to bow hunting so I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to arrow spine/weight.

I've been looking at both the Easton Axis 5mm or Easton FMJ 5mm. Would like to run 50 or 75 grain brass inserts with 125 grain broadheads. I currently shoot a Mathews VXR 31.5 with 29" draw at 65#. The Easton arrow spine chart currently has me around the 300 spine mark for both the Axis and FMJ, assuming my arrows are cut at 28" which is what I currently shoot, and utilize a 50 or 75 grain brass insert.

Below are the 4 scenarios I have looked at and their calculated total arrow weights:
          - Axis, 300 spine, 28" arrow, 65#, 125g broadhead, 50g insert = 474.6 Total Arrow Weight
          - Axis, 300 spine, 28" arrow, 65#, 125g broadhead, 75g insert = 499.6 Total Arrow Weight
          - FMJ, 300 spine, 28" arrow, 65#, 125g broadhead, 50g insert = 511 Total Arrow Weight
          - FMJ, 300 spine, 28" arrow, 65#, 125g broadhead, 75g insert = 536 Total Arrow Weight

My question is: which arrow setup would be the best for whitetail/hog/exotic hunting here in Texas around the hill country, mostly out of tree stand or pop up blind with 20-50 yard shots. Also, am I at risk of being under/over spine with any of those particular combinations?

Thanks in advance.
          down the rabbit hole we go.

any of the 4 will work. mass is what you look at for penetration if all other factors are equal. from lightest to heaviest you are 12.9% increase. i normally dont worry if 10% or less. as close as this is you will never see the difference. truthfully you would prolly need to get more then 20% spread to see the difference. even then with your set up not going to see.

I would look at the two with the 75gr insert. now between the two you have 7.2% not enough to worry.

did a fast speed check came up with 80ke. so i will use this for the calculations. should be with in 3% or so.

499.6=268fps and the 536=259.27. so fps is 3.3% loss. looking at that, flip a coin.

opinion. go with the axis arrow 499.6

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
            I shoot dang near the same specs as you.. 29 inch draw at 70 lbs.i use the 0t2 app for spine.. i shoot axis 300 match with 75 grains of brass 27.25 inch arrow . 4 q2 fusion 2.1 vanes and nocturnal nocks.. 125 grain head my total arrow weight is 540 grains .

The spine charts don't account for weighted inserts. You can download the ap for 12 bucks with all the add ons ..
            Stiffer is better than weaker. I have some 250 spine arrows that I shoot out of a 65 lb bow that fly great.
            What app?

Comment

Working...
            X