Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polypipe 3500 feet?

Ok so my off season project is working on getting water to the
    Center of my property. Its 3500ish feet to my well and pump ... question would i even have enough pressure to fill a water trough that far. Its mostly flat. Hill country so i was planning just unroll it not bury it
    Turn off in the winter. 1/2 inch?
    3/4inch? Was going to put it on a timer in something breaks the line while
    Im gone.
    Im tired of toting water and dont
    Want to
    Drill another well etc

If it really is flat it’ll run no matter how much pressure you have— just slower for lower pressure. The only way you’ll have an issue is if the trough is high enough above the pump/source to overcome the pressure completely.

Comment

It's not just elevation you have to factor in friction loss. But it doesn't have to flow much.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I would go at least 1 inch but 1 1/2 inch would be better at that distance. As said before, if it is flat pressure won't be a problem but friction loss in the smaller pipe would be a killer at 3,500 feet.

Comment

There are calculators out there for this. For a water trough all it needs is a drip. I think it could be very easily achieved with 1/2” or maybe 3/4”. 1” at the most.

Comment

I would go 1" minimum as well

Comment

On our old lease, the rancher had a windmill that filled 5 or 6 troughs and some of them were 3 or 4 miles away... He had 1 1/2" polypipe run from the windmill to all the troughs. There was as much as 100+ foot elevation change to a couple of them too. If you have a pump that is motor driven, it'll do fine.

Comment

I would do 1” to be safe

Comment

The water coming directly from your well? If so how many gpm is it putting out? 1" is relatively cheap. Anything bigger gets expensive. I'm currently using the Toro oval hose for a couple of 1500ft runs and been happy so far. Much cheaper.

Comment

my pressure tank says 10 gpm, so yes id be running from it roughly.
                    i assume your pipe is on top of the ground - any issues with the critters breaking it - pigs, coons etc? how well has it held up to the uv light? also - did you bury it where is crosses "roads" - i run only a side by side on the property - have to cross over one spot - i was thinking putting it through a piece of pvc at that spot and trying to bury it as best i can ( hill country - u never know might be able dig couple feet or 1/4 of an inch.

Comment

If my calculations are right running 1 gallon a minute through half inch thin wall pvc you will loose .25 psi every 100 feet so 2.5 in a 1000 so you would loose 8.75 psi in 3500 feet so even if you only have ten psi at pump you have plenty to fill a trough slow but plenty.

Comment

Where we are we use 1 1/4” thick wall on top of ground. I have 5 plumbed in now and one more to go. Furthest one now is a little over a mile from Fila. I think you have to factor in the depth of your tank also to figure out pressure. We looked up a swimming pool site to figure out how many gallons we had. 30’ diameter 6’ tall creates a lot of pressure.

Comment

Just hope you don’t have a lot of porcupines. :-). As others stated, I would go at least 1”.

Comment

Originally posted by Reel cajun View Post
                            Where we are we use 1 1/4” thick wall on top of ground. I have 5 plumbed in now and one more to go. Furthest one now is a little over a mile from Fila. I think you have to factor in the depth of your tank also to figure out pressure. We looked up a swimming pool site to figure out how many gallons we had. 30’ diameter 6’ tall creates a lot of pressure.
                            Feel it from the top and you won’t have this head pressure to contend with.

Comment

Working...
                            X