Marinating Backstrap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marinating Backstrap

Im trying to experiment on cooking backstrap a few different way. I want to try some bacon wrapped poppers. I know some recipes call for marinating the meat for at least a few hours. . Can I marinate it overnight and cook it tomorrow, or is that bad for the meat

It won’t harm the meat, but it’s not necessary. There is already so much going on flavor wise with poppers that the marinade will get lost in the there anyway. Salt and pepper the venison, and I like to coat the entire popper with a sweet BBQ rub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't think you will have a problem marinating it overnight unless the marinade is too acidic.

You might consider marinating some in buttermilk, or even plain milk.

Personally, I would use some other part of the deer for poppers and save the strap for more conventional cooking. We cut duck/geese breasts into small strips, soak in milk over night, then marinade for a couple of hours, then wrap with bacon and a japolina, then grill. That is an excellent way to use a less-than-ideal meat. Save the straps for grilling whole or chicken frying or whatever.

Comment

Stubbs beef marinade is pretty good for something different. hour or so should give it a little extra flavor

Comment

Italian dressing or balsamic vinegar/Worcestershire/olive oil is the best IMO. I usually let it marinate several hours to overnight. Works well with any meat you choose. The biggest thing with all wild game is not overcooking and not undercooking it. That part has a huge impact on how well it turns out because no marinade is going to fix that mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
            I don't think you will have a problem marinating it overnight unless the marinade is too acidic.

You might consider marinating some in buttermilk, or even plain milk.

Personally, I would use some other part of the deer for poppers and save the strap for more conventional cooking. We cut duck/geese breasts into small strips, soak in milk over night, then marinade for a couple of hours, then wrap with bacon and a japolina, then grill. That is an excellent way to use a less-than-ideal meat. Save the straps for grilling whole or chicken frying or whatever.
            I agree with this

Comment

Im trying to figure out different ways to eat my deer. For years I have made everything into sausage or burger. Im getting kind of burned out on that. My wife really hasn't had any other type of venison that she likes. I had my backstraps tenderize and butterflies. Tonight, I seasoned 2 of them with salt, pepper, garlic & onion seasoning. Wrapped in bacon. Basted them on the grill with some Stubbs peppercorn marinade. It was the best bactstrap that I have ever had. I cooked one until the bacon was crispy and the other a little less. The crispy bacon was still on the dry side, but the other was very moist, tender, and tasty

Comment

Allegro black pepper marinade is what I use. I marinate over night then I put a slice of onion and a slice of jalapeño in each piece of meat then wrap with bacon. Season with your choice of seasoning but cavenders Greek seasoning is a great choice. Enjoy.

Comment

I like Italian dressing and some worchestshire sauce then roll the edges in course ground pepper. Minimum 2 hours.

Comment

I marinade backstrap and tenderloins overnight in the fridge. I use 1/2cup of soy sauce (light, cause I don’t like much salt), 1/2 cup Dijon mustard, 1/2 cup brown sugar, some Worcestershire, and then I season to taste with pepper, garlic powered, and onion powder.

Comment

It is a sin to marinate whitetail backstraps. Even more sinful to marinate whitetail tenderloins.

Comment

Marinate whole backstrap 45 minutes in soy sauce, roll in course black pepper, grill.

Comment

I like to marinate in Italian dressing, Stubb’s pork, or Stubb’s chicken. 2-4 hours is plenty. Medium is burnt.

Comment

I marinate them in the frig in red vinegar cooking wine or what ever it is lol

Comment

I usually just season my venison and grill it...but when I do marinade I use Allegro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X