Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-17-2018, 07:17 PM   #1
Worksalot
Ten Point

Hunt In: On earth
Default Wish there wasnít so much hatred/distrust towards LE

Yes, there are some bad apples, which Iíve had the displeasure of encountering, but am mature enough to know you canít lump everyone together no matter what group it is.

One of my closest friends is a LEO and Iíd trust the man with my life as I know he would trust me with his. Iíve been asked in the past to join an agency, but itís not my calling. Iím thankful for those who have that desire and calling on their lives.

How would you go about educating someone so distrustful of law enforcement that they are fearful? Going to try and introduce them to at least one high ranking officer.
Worksalot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2018, 07:26 PM   #2
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Taser
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2018, 07:34 PM   #3
iamntxhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: North Texas

Unfortunately I don't think someone like you described could ever be deprogrammed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worksalot View Post
Yes, there are some bad apples, which Iíve had the displeasure of encountering, but am mature enough to know you canít lump everyone together no matter what group it is.

One of my closest friends is a LEO and Iíd trust the man with my life as I know he would trust me with his. Iíve been asked in the past to join an agency, but itís not my calling. Iím thankful for those who have that desire and calling on their lives.

How would you go about educating someone so distrustful of law enforcement that they are fearful? Going to try and introduce them to at least one high ranking officer.
Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
iamntxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2018, 07:42 PM   #4
Worksalot
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
Taser
Ouch.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:49 PM   #5
brysdad
Ten Point

So many people only have opportunity to interact with LEOs at a bad time. They forget that police are just human beings like they are. Try to find a function where they can hang out with one. Better yet, hang out with one off duty. Their kids go to school and play sports with yours.
brysdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2018, 07:58 PM   #6
Ronnie
Six Point

Hunt In: La. & Texas

I know a lot of folks and I don't see what you're describing except in the few that make them have to be that way because it's their job.

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2018, 08:02 PM   #7
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

The problem is in certain areas/neighborhoods etc the only interaction with police has been a bad situation. They were going to jail or maybe a family member was. They have been raised to hate/distrust police their whole life. Iím not sure how you ever break into that.

*** A good start would be for some NFL players to stand up and go into some of these neighborhoods and try and improve them. ***

That may not get MSNBC front page coverage though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txwhitetail is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2018, 08:09 PM   #8
Hunting4fun
Four Point

This is why people boycott the NFL and Nike. Nike caters to the lowest common denominator under the guise that LEOs run around and shoot black people for no reason whatsoever. And they believe it because well, it's Nike. They sell a lot of sweatshop products that way.

There is no excuse at all for someone who really cares about LEOS to actually support Colin Kapernick, Nike and the NFL. Period.

Last edited by Hunting4fun; 09-17-2018 at 08:12 PM.
Hunting4fun is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2018, 08:13 PM   #9
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
The problem is in certain areas/neighborhoods etc the only interaction with police has been a bad situation. They were going to jail or maybe a family member was. They have been raised to hate/distrust police their whole life. Iím not sure how you ever break into that.

This right here.

That and my pet peeve. Being out and about eating,getting gas etc and mom or dad says to their kid....

Better be good or hes gonna take you to jail!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2018, 08:31 PM   #10
doug
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
This right here.

That and my pet peeve. Being out and about eating,getting gas etc and mom or dad says to their kid....

Exactly!

I hated when folks said that and i never really knew how to respond in front of the kids! Im glad to be retired now and wont miss that situation! I will miss interacting with them without thier parents though. I always enjoyed that part of wearing a uniform.
doug is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2018, 08:40 PM   #11
coy-ote
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dimmit county

I learned one thing after 30 plus years as a LEO in San Antonio, I worked by choice on the west side where lots of good people live surrounded by a handful of thugs that really care for no one, they will steal rob and rape n their own neighborhoods and the preach/Prada rice hatred towards the Police. My last 11 years were in the traffic unit first 3 still on the west side last 7 on the north side different social economic area. You could wave at kids on the west side and they didnít know whether to wave back or look away, also youíd hear from the lesser educated lower income areas parents tell their kids ď look thereís a cop heís gonna take you awayĒ on the north side parents would tell their kids look thereís ya police officer if you ever get lost go to them. I had more than several line complaints for going and telling those kids in front of their parentsĒ no Iím not gonna take you away ď then Iíd tell the parents if your child grows up fearful of the police and get lost or get assaulted physically or sexually do you think theyíll wanna talk to us or ask us for help? Iíve spoken to kids away from their parents and older kids and young adults that say I donít know why I hate you but it started with what we were told at home.

coy-ote is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2018, 08:45 PM   #12
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug View Post
Exactly!

I hated when folks said that and i never really knew how to respond in front of the kids! Im glad to be retired now and wont miss that situation! I will miss interacting with them without thier parents though. I always enjoyed that part of wearing a uniform.
More than once I would tell mom not to say that. That I only arrest people who do bad things like not take care of their children away. I would always look the parent in the eye.

Thankfully I'm in a position now where I don't have to deal with folks with a pulse so they can't argue or complain

Old 09-17-2018, 08:49 PM   #13
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

Never had but one stop with an officer with a chip on his shoulder and this happened many years ago in the DFW Metro when I was speeding. Hunted, fished, and been checked by Game Wardens many times and I showed respect and never had a problem.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2018, 08:50 PM   #14
sailor
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

It starts, when you teach your kids, to say Po-lice...
Instead of Police...
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2018, 10:36 PM   #15
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

Cops are people to!!!
Some are great people, some are rotten to th core ,
Like the BP guy that was caught today that is a serial killer ( murdering prostituts)
Lately I just seem to run in to the flawed ones, the San Antonio area is having some issues with flawed policemen and ADA’S , some are sex trafficking under age girls and illegal immigrants , some a drunken driving , some are drug addicted and dealing drugs
This is endemic of a broken flawed system. Not all policemen are criminals but only a product of the system they work for
https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/15/us/us...ngs/index.html

Last edited by pilar; 09-17-2018 at 10:55 PM.
pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 07:26 AM   #16
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by brysdad View Post
So many people only have opportunity to interact with LEOs at a bad time. They forget that police are just human beings like they are. Try to find a function where they can hang out with one. Better yet, hang out with one off duty. Their kids go to school and play sports with yours.
Most people never interact with any LEO. They just believe the BS they see on TV.
RiverRat1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 07:28 AM   #17
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Instead of Police...
That made me laugh
RiverRat1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 07:30 AM   #18
yaqui
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eastland Co.

Quote:
Instead of Police...
Not understanding how the way you say something has to do with not trusting the police. Can you elaborate?
yaqui is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 07:49 AM   #19
Raider4044
Eight Point

Hunt In: Nolan County

Quote:
Instead of Police...

Lol

Raider4044 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 07:58 AM   #20
stickerpatch59
Pope & Young

Hunt In: gonzales, and....

I've only met one in my whole life that I thought was an a-hole. bunch of good guys imo, doing a thankless job that most can't or wouldn't do.
stickerpatch59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 08:07 AM   #21
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Quote:
This right here.

What is wrong with that? It teaches that if you are bad, bad things happen to you. I guess I don't see the problem, my parents said it to me, and I never hated police. I did dislike when they came to my house, because generally it meant I got caught for something, but I never blamed them for my poor decisions.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 08:11 AM   #22
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon/Madsion County

Quote:

Meteor. Meteor fixes everything.
J Sweet is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 08:14 AM   #23
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County

Quote:
This right here.

I've turned that around several times and told those parents THEY should go to jail for telling their kids that I would arrest them. Pizzes me off.
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 08:19 AM   #24
stickbowcoop
Ten Point

Hunt In: OH, PA, looking for a place in TX.

My close friend (he is back in PA still) is a sergeant in Collier TWP. I am biased because of him. But I always do my best to promote LEO's in a positive light. Lots of folks want to hate them these days because of the media and the internet. Some people just can't get it's a tough job and leo's often have to make a life or death decisions in an instant. They don't have minutes, hours, or days to dissect a situation like everyone does online now.

He is an leo ad his wife is a teacher, I often joke they are glutens for punishment. Two of the most unappreciated professions in our country right now.
stickbowcoop is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 08:38 AM   #25
xman59
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug View Post
Exactly!

I usually told them,,, we do not take children to jail, but we will take mommie and daddy if they treat you wrong! Then I would tell the parent(s) that they should not make their children afraid of the police, and not to lie them

Last edited by xman59; 09-18-2018 at 08:43 AM.
xman59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 08:57 AM   #26
arrowsmack324
Ten Point

Hunt In: 100% Public

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKiller View Post
I've turned that around several times and told those parents THEY should go to jail for telling their kids that I would arrest them. Pizzes me off.
So we shouldn't tell our kids the police put bad people in jail!? How is it parent's fault if their kids make the association that if they're bad that they can go to jail?
My daughter always tells law enforcement she's going to behave. Should I discourage her from speaking to officers for fear of hurting their feelings. I've never told her she would be arrested if she doesn't behave, she made that connection on her own. I just want to help her understand y'all are the good guys.
arrowsmack324 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 09:05 AM   #27
fishinguy
Four Point

In general no one is having a good time when they encounter LE. It starts with all the little BS tickets. I know I have had my instances of really not being happy with them (ie.. getting a ticket for an amber colored parking light that went out.) Before police were used to generate revenue, people would count on them for help and really looked to them as pillars of the community.

Of course Obama's interjection into several notable cases really exasperated the disrespect for law enforcement within specific communities, to the point where combativeness is almost encouraged.
fishinguy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 09:10 AM   #28
TexasArchery_27
Six Point

Hunt In: Red River & Collin County

"How would you go about educating someone so distrustful of law enforcement that they are fearful? Going to try and introduce them to at least one high ranking officer."

For the most part, advise that individual to avoid the media's portrayal of them, and allow personal experiences to dictate their perception. If you're doing the right thing and abiding by the law, the number of interactions with L.E. will go down significantly.

As a general rule of thumb, most officers are decent; there are of course exceptions in small quantities. For those officers that don't do the right thing, or do commit crimes: do not allow yourself to be consumed by anger. Understand that those officers will be held accountable for their actions just like everyone else. Either in a court of law, or on judgement day.
TexasArchery_27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 09:14 AM   #29
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX

Quote:
Instead of Police...
Lmao
SolocamShooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 09:15 AM   #30
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowsmack324 View Post
So we shouldn't tell our kids the police put bad people in jail!? How is it parent's fault if their kids make the association that if they're bad that they can go to jail?
My daughter always tells law enforcement she's going to behave. Should I discourage her from speaking to officers for fear of hurting their feelings. I've never told her she would be arrested if she doesn't behave, she made that connection on her own. I just want to help her understand y'all are the good guys.

You can tell them to we put bad people in jail. Don't tell children that we put children in jail. Tell your children they can always go to a police officer or firemen for help. Pretty simple. People that tell their children I will put them in jail does nothing more than scare them and leave them thinking I'll take them away from their parents. fear mongering their children is all it is.
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 11:21 AM   #31
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
What is wrong with that? It teaches that if you are bad, bad things happen to you. I guess I don't see the problem, my parents said it to me, and I never hated police. I did dislike when they came to my house, because generally it meant I got caught for something, but I never blamed them for my poor decisions.
What is wrong with it is the way it is said and sometimes intent.

Kids absolutely should know what the police are for. But the parents arenít doing it for education. They do it for a chuckle or use the police as a pseudo spanking.

I saw a guy at a bowling alley make his daughter cry and run away from him. Daddy was so cool and all the adults who were bowling got a great laugh when the guy saw me and told his daughter that the officer is here to put you in jail. At least up until his daughter ran away crying.

I never say anything bad to the parents in front of the children but that child had run to momma. I I told the guy and anyone who was near enough to listen, you think thatís funny and everybody got a laughÖ but hopefully your daughter recovers enough that if sheís in danger sees a policeman that she doesnít turn and run away from him and toward the bad guy.

Children do not understand the humor. If you tell a small child that thereís a monster under the bed, there had just as well be a monster under the bed because that is what the child will believe.

The other reason that people do it is to use the police for a spanking. I have heard them say to their child, I told you to put your seatbelt on and that Police will put you in jail if you donít do it.

Since I do not want you saying anything bad to the parents in front of the children I do tell the child, no I only put bad people in jail. Are you a bad person? They always say no. And then I tell them that they will never have to go to jail. I usually try to shake their hand if they smile or seem receptive.

Maybe your parents did not use that tactic or maybe you were old enough to understand. The bottom line is it about 98% of the people to tell the children that are doing it for the wrong reasons. Children do not think like adults.
tvc184 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 12:23 PM   #32
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
See below. 184 said everything I would have and then some.

Especially when the kid is very young. Many times Ive been into areas, see a little kid and wave or say high only to have the kid RUN the other way. Wonder why he/she did that???

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvc184 View Post

Kids absolutely should know what the police are for. But the parents arenít doing it for education. They do it for a chuckle or use the police as a pseudo spanking.

I saw a guy at a bowling alley make his daughter cry and run away from him. Daddy was so cool and all the adults who were bowling got a great laugh when the guy saw me and told his daughter that the officer is here to put you in jail. At least up until his daughter ran away crying.

I never say anything bad to the parents in front of the children but that child had run to momma. I I told the guy and anyone who was near enough to listen, you think thatís funny and everybody got a laughÖ but hopefully your daughter recovers enough that if sheís in danger sees a policeman that she doesnít turn and run away from him and toward the bad guy.

Children do not understand the humor. If you tell a small child that thereís a monster under the bed, there had just as well be a monster under the bed because that is what the child will believe.

The other reason that people do it is to use the police for a spanking. I have heard them say to their child, I told you to put your seatbelt on and that Police will put you in jail if you donít do it.

Since I do not want you saying anything bad to the parents in front of the children I do tell the child, no I only put bad people in jail. Are you a bad person? They always say no. And then I tell them that they will never have to go to jail. I usually try to shake their hand if they smile or seem receptive.

Maybe your parents did not use that tactic or maybe you were old enough to understand. The bottom line is it about 98% of the people to tell the children that are doing it for the wrong reasons. Children do not think like adults.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:46 PM   #33
Worksalot
Ten Point

What sucks too is when you are a job applicant and the potential employer cuts you from the list because of having references in law enforcement. If they are that narrow minded then I sure don’t need to be employed there. I will not be just another person that the media and others control with their hatred of people in positions of authority. Hate has consumed so many people.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:07 PM   #34
Worksalot
Ten Point

While we’re on this subject it should be noted that companies like Nike and others have an opportunity to use their brands in such a way to educate people to stop hating each other. Instead of JUST DO IT, how about JUST STOP IT. Stop the hatred. It’s a choice people make to hate one another. No, you aren’t going to change people’s opinions, but you can be a promoter of healing and unity or at least not a promoter of hate. Rebelling against what our country was founded on is just more steps toward chaos.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:09 PM   #35
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvc184 View Post

I can understand this mindset. I'm not a LEO, so I have never had to deal with it regularly. I honestly didn't know it was a common thing.

I still don't think its a big deal if used in the right context, as you suggest, but I can't imagine a person using police to scare their own kids either.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 01:35 PM   #36
Clay C
Ten Point

I honestly don't think there is that much hatred and distrust towards LEO. We just tend to notice the ones that do feel that way.
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 05:49 PM   #37
sailor
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaqui View Post
Not understanding how the way you say something has to do with not trusting the police. Can you elaborate?
umm..... yea, sure.... copper...Ö...
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 09:56 PM   #38
coy-ote
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dimmit county

I come from a LEO family my dad and 2 brothers my brother in law and my nephew start the academy on Monday in SA. There is no special island or nation where police are recruited from or special upbringing, anyone can apply not everyone gets accepted cause not all can handle the crud we see day in and day out for years, I use the movie Twins with Devito and Schwarzenegger if all u see is the worst of humanity and how people treat each other and canít channel it in the right way it does make you hard hearted or semi lying uncaring but thatís a self defense mechanism your mind uses when your capacity is full, donít make it right but burnt out is high in the LEO community so is or was alcohol abuse bad marriages only associating with only Leoís cause only they understand each other , just my observation

coy-ote is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 01:41 AM   #39
Uncle Saggy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Instead of Police...

Perfect!!
And so true

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Uncle Saggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 01:58 AM   #40
CWendling
Six Point

Hunt In: Coleman County

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinguy View Post
In general no one is having a good time when they encounter LE. It starts with all the little BS tickets. I know I have had my instances of really not being happy with them (ie.. getting a ticket for an amber colored parking light that went out.) Before police were used to generate revenue, people would count on them for help and really looked to them as pillars of the community.

Of course Obama's interjection into several notable cases really exasperated the disrespect for law enforcement within specific communities, to the point where combativeness is almost encouraged.
Let me ask you this then. Should police not write any tickets? No enforcement of any traffic laws whether regulatory or moving violations? Or just not you because you 'didnt deserve it'? Do they bring money to the city? Sure, but I suppose taxes could be raised instead to cover the difference if youd prefer that system of paying for city services.

And I dont know where you live, but where I work, people do count on the police for help and when they call we go. I guess instead you could try calling your neighbors at any time night/day to come to an emergency/alarm/what have you. Good luck with that.
CWendling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 08:42 AM   #41
Lynn21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Childress, Tx

The haters and lawbreakers are scum drug dealers, have no life, and no families, only care about themselves, and need to b shot, yeah I said it.
Lynn21 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 08:50 AM   #42
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

wonder how Lynn21 feels about this subject....
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 10:11 AM   #43
fishinguy
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWendling View Post
Let me ask you this then. Should police not write any tickets? No enforcement of any traffic laws whether regulatory or moving violations? Or just not you because you 'didnt deserve it'? Do they bring money to the city? Sure, but I suppose taxes could be raised instead to cover the difference if youd prefer that system of paying for city services.

And I dont know where you live, but where I work, people do count on the police for help and when they call we go. I guess instead you could try calling your neighbors at any time night/day to come to an emergency/alarm/what have you. Good luck with that.
Yes, I am implying that lawlessness is the preferred solution because any suggestion of balance would be ridiculous. [sarcastic]

I live in upper middle class suburbia if that is important to you. Also note I do have a high level of respect for LE, I would never touch that job no matter the pay. Our current model of society would not be possible without proper law enforcement. I couldn't imagine living in a country where lawlessness is accepted.

Take my parking light as an example, this experience was quite a few years ago. I'm driving home after a long day at work and I get pulled over. First I encounter alot of attitude when I asked why I was pulled over after being asked a slew of irrelevant questions about where I am going, what I am doing, etc... Secondly I am issued a citation for a light that does not even exist on most vehicles. It was a lower corner amber colored light. Anyhow a simple warning would have been a nice gesture instead of a citation that costed me $72 and more importantly wasted time for something which I was completely unaware. I of course had the issue corrected immediately the next day as I had explained to the officer I would but he didn't care because I was in "violation of traffic code".

It is situations like this that really leave a negative impression of LE in general. Now factor in that person like me might only encounter an LE officer once every 3 or 4 years. Even with my very limited encounters, I have a few other examples of unprovoked, rude behavior that I have encountered. I would say I have had more negative than positive encounters with LE.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:43 AM   #44
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Usually from a tree

It's about respect. I respect LE, and when I get pulled over I expect to be treated with respect. I don't care if y'all curbstomp every drug dealer, thief, armed robber, etc. However, when you pull over a respectful citizen for a traffic violation don't act like an ******* just because you can. I speed too often, so I get pulled over a couple of times a year. Reflecting back, about 75% of the encounters were super friendly. They were doing their job and I expected nothing but what I deserved. The other 25% or so were less than pleasant to deal with and they didn't have to be. Your badge isn't what makes people respect or not respect you. Your everyday actions do that. I respect the position, but have come across many a man filling that position that wasn't deserving of my respect. The profession is a microcosm of society. There is good and bad in every aspect of society. The LE profession is no different.

Now, I say all this from a upper middle class perspective. I say this having very good friends and family that serve in LE. I know there are whole generations of hoodrats that don't like LE because their Pops is doing 25 in Huntsville for slinging dope in the 3rd Ward or Lil' Bobo from the hood got beat down for resisting arrest. That is a dilemma which LE has little control over I'm afraid.

So...control what you can. Someone resists arrest, beat his ***. Someone slow rolls a stop sign, write a ticket. But you can beat that *** and write that ticket with respect. Good LE officers do it everyday.
curtintex is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 10:52 AM   #45
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

Quote:
Originally Posted by coy-ote View Post
I learned one thing after 30 plus years as a LEO in San Antonio, I worked by choice on the west side where lots of good people live surrounded by a handful of thugs that really care for no one, they will steal rob and rape n their own neighborhoods and the preach/Prada rice hatred towards the Police. My last 11 years were in the traffic unit first 3 still on the west side last 7 on the north side different social economic area. You could wave at kids on the west side and they didnít know whether to wave back or look away, also youíd hear from the lesser educated lower income areas parents tell their kids ď look thereís a cop heís gonna take you awayĒ on the north side parents would tell their kids look thereís ya police officer if you ever get lost go to them. I had more than several line complaints for going and telling those kids in front of their parentsĒ no Iím not gonna take you away ď then Iíd tell the parents if your child grows up fearful of the police and get lost or get assaulted physically or sexually do you think theyíll wanna talk to us or ask us for help? Iíve spoken to kids away from their parents and older kids and young adults that say I donít know why I hate you but it started with what we were told at home.

It is apparent that you were willing to geaux the extra mile in community relations. Kudo's to you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinguy View Post
Yes, I am implying that lawlessness is the preferred solution because any suggestion of balance would be ridiculous. [sarcastic]

I live in upper middle class suburbia if that is important to you. Also note I do have a high level of respect for LE, I would never touch that job no matter the pay. Our current model of society would not be possible without proper law enforcement. I couldn't imagine living in a country where lawlessness is accepted.

Take my parking light as an example, this experience was quite a few years ago. I'm driving home after a long day at work and I get pulled over. First I encounter alot of attitude when I asked why I was pulled over after being asked a slew of irrelevant questions about where I am going, what I am doing, etc... Secondly I am issued a citation for a light that does not even exist on most vehicles. It was a lower corner amber colored light. Anyhow a simple warning would have been a nice gesture instead of a citation that costed me $72 and more importantly wasted time for something which I was completely unaware. I of course had the issue corrected immediately the next day as I had explained to the officer I would but he didn't care because I was in "violation of traffic code".

It is situations like this that really leave a negative impression of LE in general. Now factor in that person like me might only encounter an LE officer once every 3 or 4 years. Even with my very limited encounters, I have a few other examples of unprovoked, rude behavior that I have encountered. I would say I have had more negative than positive encounters with LE.
Well said sir! Heck, I have been asked if I live in my neighborhood. Yep, makes one go hummm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaqui View Post
Being a melting pot NATION from day one obviously linguistic differences & dialects have been the norm. But I doubt that is what was being referred to!
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 10:54 AM   #46
Duckologist
Six Point

Quote:

How would you go about educating someone so distrustful of law enforcement that they are fearful?
Shoot his dog!
Duckologist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 11:07 AM   #47
fishinguy
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post
It's about respect. I respect LE, and when I get pulled over I expect to be treated with respect. I don't care if y'all curbstomp every drug dealer, thief, armed robber, etc. However, when you pull over a respectful citizen for a traffic violation don't act like an ******* just because you can. I speed too often, so I get pulled over a couple of times a year. Reflecting back, about 75% of the encounters were super friendly. They were doing their job and I expected nothing but what I deserved. The other 25% or so were less than pleasant to deal with and they didn't have to be. Your badge isn't what makes people respect or not respect you. Your everyday actions do that. I respect the position, but have come across many a man filling that position that wasn't deserving of my respect. The profession is a microcosm of society. There is good and bad in every aspect of society. The LE profession is no different.

Now, I say all this from a upper middle class perspective. I say this having very good friends and family that serve in LE. I know there are whole generations of hoodrats that don't like LE because their Pops is doing 25 in Huntsville for slinging dope in the 3rd Ward or Lil' Bobo from the hood got beat down for resisting arrest. That is a dilemma which LE has little control over I'm afraid.

So...control what you can. Someone resists arrest, beat his ***. Someone slow rolls a stop sign, write a ticket. But you can beat that *** and write that ticket with respect. Good LE officers do it everyday.
Exactly my point. The police lose a lot of support with average citizens because of incidents where mutual respect is not given.

Now imo a lot of the issues that started arising in specific communities can be directly related to Obama's negativity toward police officers. We all remember a few years back the incident with the Harvard professor. Obama immediately comes out with no facts or knowledge about the incident and state that the police "acted stupidly" and went on to say
"But I think it's fair to say, No. 1, any of us would be pretty angry; No. 2, that the Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting somebody when there was already proof that they were in their own home; and, No. 3 ... that there's a long history in this country of African-Americans and Latinos being stopped by law enforcement disproportionately."

When the Facts came out the police officers actions were deemed appropriate. There were several incidents like this that put the notion that the police are wrong and they should not be allowed to do their job. This emboldened more resistance from certain people against LE.

I have no idea how they will correct the damage that was done regarding the relationship between LE and these communities.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:17 AM   #48
yaqui
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eastland Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
Perfect!!
And so true

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I still don't understand.
yaqui is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 11:47 AM   #49
Kevin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin and Argentina, Zambia, Kyrgyzstan

Im not in LEO but here would be my suggestion.

As others on this thread indicate, in certain neighborhood, negative interaction is the norm. When they are children, they see the negative interaction and really can't make an informed decision on who is good or bad. Unfortunately, the parents that are around probably don't help much here either. That cycle continues. This can probably be said of the officers patrolling the area and the locals.

My thought is to hire more policemen and have them work 32 hrs a week on patrol and 8 hrs a week doing community outreach and interaction. Focus on school or other areas that get kids involved.

I can promise one thing... the problem won't fix itself.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 11:50 AM   #50
Kevin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin and Argentina, Zambia, Kyrgyzstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post

Great points.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top