Laguna Atascosa 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilgai

This is from a young bull; for those of you wanting to size up these animals.
    And it was maybe 7-8" thick.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by hound dog View Post
      This is from a young bull; for those of you wanting to size up these animals.

And it was maybe 7-8" thick.

My mouth started watering. Lord that's a lot of leg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
        I went out there yesterday. They have had alot of rain. Lot of standing water/ponds. Even water sitting in road ruts.

The grass is thick and about waist tall.

I have heard that the Nilgai like the areas around the salt water..areas 3 5 & 8...anybody know why? would it be something that grows there that they like. Do they roll in the salty area to keep critters off of them(just a WAG ) I guess that xplains why there is not a lot of harvest boards with unit 1 on them...
        Nilgai feeding habits are somewhat similar to moo cows. If cows are up grazing, then so are the nilgai. If cows are laid up chilling, then so are the nilgai.
        This has been my observation, not a scientific research development. All animals like some sort of salt in their diet. Salt licks are popular for cattle, so maybe there is something present for the nilgai in these regions.
        Just sayin

Comment

My advice on the 4 wheeler is don't go around driving all over the place during the hunt. Cause you are going to annoy a lot of hunters who are still hunting. I know, I hunted there a few years ago and there was some young man who had a medical condition hunting with a 4 wheeler. He wouldn't sit still. We saw 4 wheeler tracks everywhere. His buddy informed us that he couldn't sit still at any one place very long, so he moved around a lot. I remember seeing him at the orientation and he looked pretty healthy to me. I wanted to complain to the game wardens about his running around. IMO, this person was very inconsiderate of other people hunting. And even though Laguna is a very large area where you may not see another hunter, a 4 wheeler gives a person the advantage of moving quickly and long distances. Ultimately, this will bring you up too, or in the vicinity of other hunters in the area. Good luck and good hunting.

Comment

I believe the use of the 4 wheeler has been discussed thoroughly in previous post. may want to read up on them.

I heard about the youngster on a 4 wheeler. Left a bad impression with the refuge staff. Quite a difference than with a 61 old with a deformed hip joint, compression fractures in vertebrae with a 2" leg length difference. that person just wants to go from point a to point b and hunt. Not a whole lot of running to new spots.

Comment

Originally posted by TXFireFighter View Post
              Goodluck to everyone. My group will be there for the archery hunt Nov 16-20.

I’ll be there at the same time. First trip there. So if you see an old man stumbling around looking lost don’t be mean, just say hi. He is harmless.

Comment

Hi All,

My brothers and I drew for this hunt on 11/16-11/20. We've never hunted this far south - thanks for all of the info guys its been really helpful! We're mostly concerned with hopefully tagging (or have the opportunity) a whitetail deer. Since we've discussed a lot about Nilgai - what compartments/units would you think is best or have the highest probability for whitetails? Thanks - any help is appreciated! And I'm open to helping anyone out while out there - cleaning and dragging out any animal harvested - just PM me and I can give you my contact info.

Comment

Originally posted by Romulan View Post
                  Hi All,

My brothers and I drew for this hunt on 11/16-11/20. We've never hunted this far south - thanks for all of the info guys its been really helpful! We're mostly concerned with hopefully tagging (or have the opportunity) a whitetail deer. Since we've discussed a lot about Nilgai - what compartments/units would you think is best or have the highest probability for whitetails? Thanks - any help is appreciated! And I'm open to helping anyone out while out there - cleaning and dragging out any animal harvested - just PM me and I can give you my contact info.
                  I hunted last year during the exotic archery draw, and saw deer in every unit except for the i believe unit...5? the far northeast unit.....only cause we didn't get a chance to hunt it, but the deer are there just so thick in a lot of areas its tough to get back to where they bed down and get away from the road traffic.

Comment

My brother and law and I have hunted this before (me two years ago with him and him again last year with a buddy). I know that everyone sits on a spot to hunt here and one of the big reasons is to not bust another hunter's area. But, I wonder what is really the best way to hunt nilgai. When I've been on a guided hunt on the King, they spot stalk. They walk around looking down lanes or across areas and would look for ways to help sneak up through trees and pop up on them within a reasonable range to get a shot off. Either cut the off through brush or moving in if grazing - all very quietly of course.

Comment

These things are very spooky. I’ll give you an example, make a noise around a deer, it’ll stop and look. Nilgia won’t, they’ll just bust out full run without ever turning their head. I seen it, I lost my shot opportunity at 30 yards.

Spot and stalk is not a good idea. Maybe with a gun??? Stalking is going to bump a lot of people and chase animals around. The nilgai get weary after a few days of bow hunters being around anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonS View Post
                        These things are very spooky. I’ll give you an example, make a noise around a deer, it’ll stop and look. Nilgia won’t, they’ll just bust out full run without ever turning their head. I seen it, I lost my shot opportunity at 30 yards.

Spot and stalk is not a good idea. Maybe with a gun??? Stalking is going to bump a lot of people and chase animals around. The nilgai get weary after a few days of bow hunters being around anyways.

Very true, we had our best opportunity on a sit and both me and my buddy had a shot and both of us missed......very hard to take considering we hunted our butt off for 3 days before deciding to just sit a trail. every time we had an opportunity to spot and stalk for archery we got busted. The nilgai have senses that are on steroids. Not saying it cant happen but we tried it and found a better chance from sitting in a good spot and waiting. saw a lot of deer that way too. Google Maps or Onx maps will be your savior looking for trails.......hint hint....

Comment

Originally posted by JasonS View Post

Howdy!

This is not always the case as far as nilgai spooking without even a head turn. My limited experience was the complete opposite of your description and experience. I went on a rifle hunt last December and was fortunate to kill a young bull. I basically "stalked" through the brush and stumbled on one laying down at 15-20 yards. It had it's back to me with his head up and turned looking back in my direction to see what/where I was. I couldn't believe any animal would stick around, especially that close, with the amount of noise I had made. There was no way to be quiet with all the thornbrush grabbing clothes and gear and stuff crunching under each step.

Spot and stalk worked well for me as well as other groups, one pair of guys shot three using this method on the first day. If I hadn't experienced it, I wouldn't believe it. I also believe there is more to it than we think or have experienced.

It makes sense if they are out in the open, traveling, or some other vulnerable position that they would be inclined to run and remove themselves from perceived danger without pause or hesitation. But there are also times you might catch them off guard or they may hold position and try to assess the situation, like I experienced.

Of course the bow hunts are more difficult due to having many more hunters per hunt, getting a clean shot thru tangled brush, etc. but I don't think spot and stalk is out of the question. It can be done under the right circumstances, which aren't readily known/understood or available.

Comment

So we're back to square one hahahaha. This is going to be a fun hunt one way or another. I'll focus on WTs and if I get a crack at a Nilgai then we'll see how it goes.
                            Curious about arrow setups for those who've been successful. I have a 480gr setup shooting at 260 (27.5 in draw length) and another arrow that's about 400 flying at 280ish. For a longer shot past 40, suggestions on which for the Nilgai? Both are grouping well.

Comment

I am batting 1000 at not getting selected for the rifle hunt in 18 years.

Comment

Hey All,

From what I’ve read thus far it seems like the most preferred hunting method are ground blinds or hunting light with a tripod seat and maybe Camo netting - for those with experience there for whitetail do y’all setup on the edge of thick brush and clearings? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X