Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay Nikon D60 user

Got any advice for a rookie?

Go online and find Ken Rockwell's D60 user guide. Lots of reading and good info.

Comment

Yall all know that I am a huge fan of Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson... it is a must read for newbies...

Ken Rockwell's site is also great and full of info...

Comment

I agree on both of those points. Ken Rockwell's user guides are easy to follow and understand. Understanding Exposure looks to be a great book. I ordered it after seeing Hilly recommend it several times and there is a ton of great information in there if i would just take the time to read it. Also, look on here and other sites to find what pictures you like and what you want to try for. I also try to take a lot of pictures and find what I like in them as well as what I would change. Was being too hard on myself at first and getting discouraged.

Comment

Thanks TBH'ers!!!!

Comment

Ken doesn't like the D60 at all. Said the D40 was better. Jeez I feel better now.

Comment

LOL take him with a grain of salt on some things. Manuals are helpful though.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
                LOL take him with a grain of salt on some things. Manuals are helpful though.
                Good to know.

Comment

Ken Rockwell is a moron. IMHO

I get a lot of good info from the different Flickr groups. Here is one for the D40/D60 crowd.
                  The Nikon D40, Nikon D40x, Nikon D50, Nikon D60, and Nikon D5000 are entry-level digital SLRs from Nikon. This group is a place for all Nikon D40/x/50/60/5000/3000 users. D40/x/50/60/5000/3000 users who have moved on to other bodies are of course welcome to participate, too. Join and share! Frequently Asked Questions It's definitely still under construction, but you can view the "as is" FAQ here. If you'd like to see something added to the FAQ, post here. Reviews: Nikon D40 Review by Phil Askey (dpreview) Nikon D40 Review by Imaging Resources Nikon D40 Hands-On Evaluation by Ken Rockwell Nikon D40 Review by Thom Hogan Nikon D40x Review by Phil Askey (dpreview) Nikon D40x Preview by Imaging Resources Nikon D40x Review by Ken Rockwell Nikon D50 Review by Phil Askey (dpreview) Nikon D60 Review by Ken Rockwell Nikon D60 Brief Hands-on by DPReview Nikon D60 Review by PopPhoto Nikon D5000 Review by Richard Butler (dpreview) Please add "d40", "d40x", "d50", "d60" or "d5000" tag to your photos. Where to buy: Nikon D40 @ B&H (w\18-55mm) Nikon D40x @ B&H (w18-135mm) Nikon D60 @ B&H (w18-55 VR) D40 @ Adorama (w\18-55mm) D40x @ Adorama (body only) D60 @ Adorama (body only) D40 @ RitzCamera (w\18-55mm) D40x @ RitzCamera (w\18-55mm) D60 @ RitzCamera (w\18-55mm VR) Statistics for Flickr group: Nikon D40/x Club Group Page: www.onlifemag.com/nikond40/

There are different groups for all the different cameras. Just do a group search.

Comment

Ken has a big ego but the one thing I like about him versus a lot of the other sites is that he does not get all caught up in the "technical" aspects of shooting in depth color charts for lens comparison etc., although he has the engineering background to do all stuff. I will give you an example. He loved the D200 when it came out but the technology has gone a long ways since then so now he considers the D200 as something that should be put in the scrap heap. No that he did not like it, the technology has just changed that much. My D200 still has the capability to take incredible photos so, you have to take some of what he says with a grain of salt in those areas.
                    He caters mostly to the people who want to spend their time shooting, not getting all caught up in the technicalities of this camera and that camera.
                    His reviews and downloadable guides are easy to understand and straightforward. His best advice, and I am sure of many of us on here is that the best way to learn it is to get behind the camera and shoot, shoot, shoot. The books are good but nothing will teach you better than getting out there and making a lot of changes to your camera, see what you like, dislike and then shoot some more.

Comment

Amen, just shoot.

Comment

Working...
                      X