Repainting a John-Boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repainting a John-Boat

Anybody ever done this? I have a boat that's been neglected for a while and needs a little TLC.

Any recommendations? Obviously remove the top "loose" paint, but what about priming, type of paint to use, etc

thanks in advance.

You can rent a "cup gun" from Napa or somewhere similar. then all you need is paint. Talk to the folks at Napa about that, too. I'm not sure where my buddy got the paint, but we painted two boats and my golf cart at our duck camp four years ago. It only took about five hours to prep and finish all three.

Comment

Thanks Ouch, I'll look into it.

Anybody know somebody near the Houston/Galveston area with a tig welder and a willingness to do work on the "relative cheap"?

I don't have a machine but would be glad to share a few cold beers and learn how to operate one if available.

Comment

Dupont makes an epoxy type sealer/primer. I would get the old paint off then etch the aluminum with some sort of acid prep then shoot it with the sealer following up with paint.

You might PM "Tuffbroadhead" Dale Love I think he has a background in automotive painting. He may have better advice than me.

Comment

thanks greenflag, i'll give him a shout and see what he says!

Comment

Parker boat paint, lightly sand down the boat, rinse, let dry, and paint. This is by far the best paint in my opinion,good coverage,bonds well,almost no fading after being in the sun for two years now.. Used it on a duck boat as a drab base coat for camo pattern.

Comment

Working...
            X