Ford Mechanic Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ford Mechanic Question

My wife's 2010 Ford Fusion (4 cyl/6-Speed) with 71K miles threw a P0240 code when her SES light came on yesterday. Seems a little early for any emission related stuff to be happening. Should I worry about the rear O2 sensor first, then go from there? Thanks - Chris

Sure that's not P0420? P0240 relates to Turbocharger issue.

If it's P0420 check the air intake between the engine and filter. That rubber and plastic bs sometimes will crack or there may be a gap in one of the boots that will pull in too much air making the sensors on the intake side not jive with what the exhaust side are reading.

Comment

P0240 is a boost pressure code on the turbo charger. You probably need to take to someone that knows about them.

Comment

Sorry, it's P0420. Emissions stuff. I'll check the intake out this evening Gumbl, thanks..

Comment

I've had 2 Focus that it was the rubber boot going from the intake to the PCV valve. The end that connects to the intake gets cracked and leaks.

Comment

I'll check that out this evening. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

A p0420 code usually is due to the downstream o2 sensor picking up that the catalytic converter isn't efficient as it should be. Most all emission systems on passenger cars carry an 8 yr/80k mile warranty. Which would include the catalytic converter. Hope this helps a little, this code will not cause a drive ability issue.
              Last edited by blfx4; 01-27-2015, 07:10 AM. Reason: .

Comment

I was thinking 420 was for something else.....

Comment

That rubber boot at the intake will cause all kinds of strange codes on a 4 cylinder. I threw all kinds of stuff to ours before finding it.

Comment

Definately going to check the boots, etc. after she races home this evening. Going to call the dealer today. Just trying to avoid any "diagnostic" fee's/chargers from the dealer for something ridiculous.

Comment

Electric tape seals it nicely

Comment

Originally posted by gumbl3 View Post
                        Electric tape seals it nicely
                        If the rubber elbow on the tube is cracked, it's like $30 at the dealer. For the whole thing.

Comment

I work at Prestige Ford p0420 is 99% a catalytic converter unless you have a exhaust leak , should be 8/80 warranty

Comment

the rubber elbow will set a lot of codes but not p0420

Comment

Since my wife waited til the last minute to tell me she needed that window sticker I had to adapt

Comment

Working...
                              X