Food Plot Question - Wheat Variety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MisterSanders View Post
    Wish it was down the road for me. I hate paying for plotspike forage feast, 40lbs per 1/2 acre. I like the prices of the oats and wheat, but not shipping.
    Road trip!

Comment

Wheat all day every day, oats area waste.

Comment

Originally posted by gunslinger300 View Post
        Wheat all day every day, oats area waste.
        Care to elaborate?

Comment

I just spoke with Turner Seed and they recommended Russian wheat and Florida oats. They said that these varieties are tried and true and have been used for years. I'm now leaning on buying these. Anyone use these before?

Comment

I plant feed wheat every year, get a good stand and does not cost near as much as seed wheat.

Comment

We’re planting a similar mix from Turner Seed, but waiting to plant until first week of October in an effort to thwart army worms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, we will be using Russian wheat, Florida Oats and silver river clover this year. We are also going to be planting about 5 acres of native grass seed mixtures in different areas this fall to improve our tall grasses.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                  Skip the wheat all together and just plant oats. Deer prefer oats over wheat anyway.
                  This,

AND if you plan to plant peas or Soybeans in the spring I had the worst time trying to till under the wheat in the spring. I had always planted oats and in the spring just rototilled them under with ease as the oats kind of died off in March. The wheat was in full growth / seed mode and plowing it under was the worst. It had massive root balls that wouldn't chop up. I will never plant wheat again. My deer like the oats way better anyway.

Ranchdog

Comment

buckforage oats, deer love em and so will you

Comment

I would love to try buck forage oats but the cheapest I’ve found is around $90 per acre at 150lbs per acre whereas Florida oats is around $40/acre.

Comment

Working...
                      X