No announcement yet.

Navigating new ranch with no cell service help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone confirm if the On X Hunt app will work just into mexico? We arent far from the border.

Comment

Hand held GPS unit is what I use. Mine is a older Garmin Etrex. Used it all the time when I was kayaking the coast so I wouldn't get lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
        I remember when Onstar came out a couple of hunters on the center of the King Ranch called requesting directions to the hwy.

The lady finally told them they were in the middle of nowhere and she had no idea how they got there and no idea how to get out.............
        Yeah, I'm sure the OnStar navigation wouldn't help. But having satellite wifi service in my truck lets me access the internet even when I don't have any cell signal. I can navigate with any map app on my phone then, even if I didn't download the maps onto my phone before I left home.

Comment

USGS has quad maps for regions of Mexico.
          Topography, improvements and roads.
          Think of it as the original hand held navigation device.

Would make for a pretty cool keepsake for a couple bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by doubleplay43 View Post
            The google maps latest image isnt up to date and doesnt clearly show the roads
            Ours was not either. We took a screen shot of the map, moved it to paint, and drew the roads in. It isn't perfect but very useful until you know the place well.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark View Post
              USGS has quad maps for regions of Mexico.
              Topography, improvements and roads.
              Think of it as the original hand held navigation device.

Would make for a pretty cool keepsake for a couple bucks.

https://store.usgs.gov/filter-produc...levance&page=1
              This is where I would start. I do this for every new area I hunt whether it’s in Texas or out of state. Gives you a good idea and lets you see everything at once. I have a pile of these maps in the closet. Then from there I would go gps and other handheld devices to mark spots for your preference.

Comment

Originally posted by doubleplay43 View Post
                Can anyone confirm if the On X Hunt app will work just into mexico? We arent far from the border.
                I would contact customer service for them to be sure. But I don't see why it wouldn't if you downloaded the map already and were using the off grid feature. At that point you would just want to make sure your phone provider could still track your location.

Comment

Originally posted by stickemhard3 View Post
                  Google maps is your friend. Print it out and show roads and stands. We did this for our 5k ranch in Mexico and it worked perfectly. Put markers out in some places isn't a bad idea either.
                  Yup or use the offline feature

Comment

Can't you download and then use offline

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Go to this site and build your custom map and order them on water proof paper and you can share the link or order them for other hunters. You can tweak and add all sorts of hand drawn on the Topo maps. I have them for our land in Michigan. Love this site. For handheld get a GPS with the maps on it https://www.cabelas.com/product/hunt...8.uts?slotId=0

Quickly order USGS Topographic Maps, MGRS maps, 1:50000/1:25,000, Aerial Maps, Game Management Unit Maps for hunting, and maps for popular hiking trails. View our vast collection of historical USGS topos and national park maps. Order Delorme Gazetteers, Falcon Guidebooks. Call 877-587-9004 with any questions.

Ranchdog
                        Last edited by ranchdog; 09-06-2018, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PapaBear View Post
                          Seconded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Agree. Just download the map of your area when you are home then you can use satellite when there. You can even leave bread crumbs for trails etc like GPS.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

20 years ago, we used to draw maps on sheets of paper. It worked fine. That's another low-tech option.

Comment

Purchase and download OnX hunt app.
                              You can download the area you are needing while still connected to wifi and then utilize the maps offline once out of cell service. It may take a bit of practice, but this will be perfect for your situation. You can purchase subscriptions by state per month or per year.

Comment

Try looking at ESRI wayback imagery. May be some newer data.

Comment

Working...
                                X