Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upside/downside to buying land in Oklahoma vs. Texas (or other neighboring state)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Phorizt View Post
    Now if you really want the best bang for your buck then you need to go to Kentucky. 1 B&C buck for every 3500 deer harvest(even better than Wisconsin). I doubled checked the TX numbers and it's actually 1 B&C for every 23000 deer harvested. So in Kentucky you would be 7x more likely to harvest a B&C buck. In OK you're 2.3x more likely to harvest a B&C buck than texas.

Sorry I'm a data/stats nerd and when I go down a rabbit hole like this I'll waste a lot of time looking up the actual numbers. Most people seem to make judgements and form their opinions based on their own limited experiences and rarely does that paint the whole picture.
    Now give the numbers for South Texas only. Give poor little Oklahoma a size advantage. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
      Not counting high fence you are correct.

However:

And if you don’t mind hunting in a high-fence scenario (Boone and Crockett won’t recognize these trophies), Texas may be your best bet, because when you factor in all the giants taken behind high fences, it nearly certainly produces the most Booner-caliber bucks.
      Perhaps this is true. However, if you hunt a well managed high fence ranch in OK(or just about any other part of the country for that matter) then you probably have a great shot at a huge deer too. Of course there are probably a lot more high fenced ranches in Texas than OK.

But the discussion was about the value of buying land in OK vs TX and if you're looking at getting a good value on a low budget you're more than likely not buying a high fenced game ranch.

Comment

Perhaps this is true. However, if you hunt a well managed high fence ranch in OK(or just about any other part of the country for that matter) then you probably have a great shot at a huge deer too. Of course there are probably a lot more high fenced ranches in Texas than OK.

But the discussion was about the value of buying land in OK vs TX and if you're looking at getting a good value on a low budget you're more than likely not buying a high fenced game ranch.
        No doubt.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Possibly. Land is dirt cheap in South and West Texas.
        Last edited by Burntorange Bowhunter; 07-20-2018, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
          Now give the numbers for South Texas only. Give poor little Oklahoma a size advantage. LOL.
          Not sure what the county numbers are. But based on your map there's no doubt that a handful of counties in South Texas are some of the best hunting areas in the country. Nobody will argue that point. It's right up there with SW Illinois all time.

I think it's safe to say that the best counties in Texas are better than the best counties in OK(and just about anywhere else in America).

Comment

Now if you really want the best bang for your buck then you need to go to Kentucky. 1 B&C buck for every 3500 deer harvest(even better than Wisconsin). I doubled checked the TX numbers and it's actually 1 B&C for every 23000 deer harvested. So in Kentucky you would be 7x more likely to harvest a B&C buck. In OK you're 2.3x more likely to harvest a B&C buck than texas.

Sorry I'm a data/stats nerd and when I go down a rabbit hole like this I'll waste a lot of time looking up the actual numbers. Most people seem to make judgements and form their opinions based on their own limited experiences and rarely does that paint the whole picture.

Thanks for all the info. I do the same thing sometimes. That’s actually what got me started hunting Oklahoma... I went down a rabbit hole on public land pieces, acreage totals, miles from the house, kayak/canoe access, parking lot locations.... the works.

I’m doing the same thing now on 2 dissertations on the formation of the Red River Delta forming at the mouth of Texoma.

Apparently it is a hyperpycnal system with subaqueous levee deposition, causing an elongated delta formation contrary to the typical lobed formation of delta systems with similar sand particle size. Fun, huh? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Not sure what the county numbers are. But based on your map there's no doubt that a handful of counties in South Texas are some of the best hunting areas in the country. Nobody will argue that point. It's right up there with SW Illinois all time.

I think it's safe to say that the best counties in Texas are better than the best counties in OK(and just about anywhere else in America).
              Wisconsin seems pretty dominant, The Midwest is pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by TalonErickson7 View Post
                He would own land there.. It wouldn’t be out of state I don’t think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                It wouldn’t be in state because he would be classified as an out of state landowner and not a resident.
                Last edited by Darton; 07-20-2018, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Now that Bob has decided to play in someone else’s sand box the rest of us with relevant experience would be glad to answer any questions the OP or other interested parties may have about land opportunities in Oklahoma

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                    Our out of state land is in SE Iowa. We will soon be making our 63 acre farm our permanent home. I have lived in Texas for 64.5 years (my entire life) but I am looking forward to this lifestyle change.

I would have never landed in Iowa if it had not been for my wife. She was born and raised in Iowa. The first time I visited there I told her "I could live here". The pace of life is much more relaxed there. We started looking for land there in 2009.

In early 2010 we found our farm. Our place was advertised as 60 acres. We paid $1500.00 per acre ($90,000). When we closed the survey indicated that the property was actually 63.46 acres.

Our closest neighbor is 3/4 mile. My two neighbors are lifelong farmers. They both have given me permission to hunt their ground which totals about 3000 acres. They both could care less about deer hunting and consider deer a nuisance. Both my neighbors say they never lock their doors....kinda of a lost concept in this day and time.

It's is 12 miles to town. I have two stop signs between our ground and town. The only traffic would be a tractor or combine you might have to pass. A busy day on my county road will be about 10 vehicles.

Pros
                    1. Beautiful country
                    2. Awesome people
                    3. Low to no crime
                    4. Low taxes. About 1/2 of our ground is in a timber conservancy. We pay no taxes on that portion.
                    5. I get to hunt Iowa every year. 3 buck tags and pretty much unlimited doe tags.
                    6. Our ground has corn, soybeans, alfalfa, clover, and triticale on our perimeter.
                    7. We have 1/2 mile of flowing creek (North Fabius River) that is a deer highway.
                    8. Most importantly the land and house is paid for free and clear.

Cons
                    1. Some people say the cold winter's, but I like the cold....so no cons for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

What city are you in or close to? My uncle farms 5,000 acres close to Oskaloosa.

Comment

I’ve hunted both states extensively. I own property in Texas and I’ll give West Texas the nod with phenomenal dove hunting and sunsets as a bonus [emoji51]

Comment

Originally posted by Full Throttle View Post
                        What city are you in or close to? My uncle farms 5,000 acres close to Oskaloosa.
                        Our ground is about 12 miles southwest of Bloomfield.

45 miles due south of Oskaloosa.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                          Our ground is about 12 miles southwest of Bloomfield.

45 miles due south of Oskaloosa.

I was born in Osky and he is actually in a small town, close to there, Rose Hill. I think you will love retirement there. Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by Full Throttle View Post
                            I was born in Osky and he is actually in a small town, close to there, Rose Hill. I think you will love retirement there. Congrats!
                            The population in Bloomfield has been right around 2500 for the last 40 years. This is a needed change from living in the DFW metroplex for many years. As you know.....living in rural Iowa is like going back in time. We are looking forward to it. Plus we have some big bucks running our "crick" bottom.

Comment

Working...
                            X