No announcement yet.

Renaming Austin ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If cities do try renaming themselves, wonder if the legislature would step in?

Comment

Originally posted by batmaninja View Post
      Slavery is absolutely a part of our history. It is a part of the worlds history. Pretty much every race has owned slaves, Native Americans, Asians, Africans, Muslims, The Moops, pretty much every race except the Irish.

.[/I]

Every race, group, culture has also been slaves at one point or another.

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
        I think the main issue is slavery. It's not really about being perfect.

I also think it's a double edged sword. I dont think changing the name is a big deal either way.

I think having a vote is the best way to go.
        Judging the values of people from our past using our current value system is a slippery slope and not very intelligent in my opinion. Things change and it is difficult to put yourself in their shoes with the information they had at that time in history. We can all say that we would have never done this or done that way back when. But it is really impossible to say that with certainty.

One day soon great great grandpa "Smith" will be branded a statutory rapist because he married great great grandma when she was 16 and he was 19. Another day not much further down the line, some "educator" will be teaching our descendants about how people used to be allowed to own weapons and would slaughter poor animals for sport. Some heathens also used to raise animals to kill and eat. Others would even ride on the backs of poor horses. All this while they are eating their lab grown tofu and scoffing at our current way of life

Comment

The below thread sheads light on why renaming is even a topic for discussion .....

Comment

Working...
          X