No announcement yet.

257 Roberts bs 25-06

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

25-06 is a better round between the two imo. It's flatter and hits hard with little recoil. That being said, the .257 Roberts is a great round it's just not for me.

Comment

There's no downside to sending the same bullet downrange with more speed and minimal recoil. Of the two, I'd go with the .25-06.

Comment

I'm a 257 Roberts guy. I have a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight that shoots handloaded 90 gr. Barnes x bullets darn near into the same hole. I have no idea how many critters I've killed with it. You'll get about 150 fps more speed out of a 25/06, but the critter ain't gonna know the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by sboudreaux View Post
          A .260 would fit nicely in that caliber gap!
          That's my thinking exactly. The .260 is often overlooked,( as is the .280 ), but is one of the best medium game cartridges ever conceived.

Comment

Which ever way I go I'll be ordering a MGM barrel. I have one of their 308 and really like it.

Thanks for the input guys. I don't see myself shooting many whitetail up here. It's really just to have and teach my boys to shoot maybe a coyote or something.

Comment

For sure I would google up 257 Roberts brass and see if you are happy with brass prices and availability before you decide to buy one. Seriously. Not saying you can't find it, but it dang sure isn't as easy as going to your favorite online retailer and ordering up the brand you want whenever you want. Personally I don't like having to buy factory ammo to get brass either.

Go search Midway and see what you come up with.
              Last edited by Jethro; 10-18-2017, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tbeak View Post
                Which ever way I go I'll be ordering a MGM barrel. I have one of their 308 and really like it.

Thanks for the input guys. I don't see myself shooting many whitetail up here. It's really just to have and teach my boys to shoot maybe a coyote or something.
                For that, I would go with the roberts for sure...

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                  For that, I would go with the roberts for sure...
                  Agreed. If I'm going to pay the price for a custom order MGM, I'm not going to get it in a standard cartridge that is easily found. All three of the .25-06 barrels I've owned shot nice tight sub-MOA groups... with factory ammo. I didn't even bother reloading for them. Mostly because I didn't plan on keeping them that long.

For a factory barrel, I'd go .25-06.
                  For a custom MGM - .257 Roberts

All the best,
                  Glenn

Comment

Hunting? 25-06. Nice and flat.
                    Perfect texas round.
                    I like the .260 unless you have to have a
                    .257 cal.

BP

Comment

Originally posted by tbeak View Post

Didn't notice where you were from, but the .260 would be good for muleys too. But for a straight coyote rifle the 25/06 is hard to beat IMO.

Comment

Have had both and for my hunting and enjoyment the gentelman
                        Bob is by far my choice. If I want a fast 25 cal the WBY gets out of the safe. Why stop at the 25-06 if looking for speed. The 260, 6.5 creedmoor and 6.5x57 are also good choices. The OP said in a post that this rifle would also be for his sons not sure how old they are but a Roberts is a great round for the younger ones.

Comment

257 Roberts bs 25-06

You don't buy a .257 Roberts for anything other than what it is. It's a great middle of the road, old school, perfect, Texas deer caliber....with some style...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have no experience with the 257, but have owned a Browning A-bolt 25.06 for 25 years, and it is the most accurate rifle I've shot. It works for me. Shoot very tight groups with 117 grain Federal Premium ammo, but haven't shot anything bigger than a whitetail with it.

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                              I'm a 257 Roberts guy. I have a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight that shoots handloaded 90 gr. Barnes x bullets darn near into the same hole. I have no idea how many critters I've killed with it. You'll get about 150 fps more speed out of a 25/06, but the critter ain't gonna know the difference.
                              Agreed! I'd go 257 Roberts

Comment

If your asking for "best" of the two the 25-06 is definitely the better round of the two ballistically and from an ammo availability standpoint. Easy answer

Comment

Working...
                                X