Intro defensive pistol course?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intro defensive pistol course?

Anyone have a recommendation for an intro defensive pistol course in Houston? I'm plenty good with controlled fire, trigger control, and accuracy, but I want to learn proper grip, recoil management, and rapid draw/fire in responding to a threat. I don't need basic instruction on how to use a handgun, but all my shooting has been for hunting or precise groups. I'd like to learn some practical defense shooting as well.

So what do you recommend? Thanks

Go to Shiloh

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
      Anyone have a recommendation for an intro defensive pistol course in Houston? I'm plenty good with controlled fire, trigger control, and accuracy, but I want to learn proper grip, recoil management, and rapid draw/fire in responding to a threat. I don't need basic instruction on how to use a handgun, but all my shooting has been for hunting or precise groups. I'd like to learn some practical defense shooting as well.

So what do you recommend? Thanks
      I took a class called "fundamentals of defensive pistol" with 360 tactical at memorial city shooting centers a few years ago. Mostly had to do with drawing quickly and efficiently, shooting, clearing malfunctions, quick reloads, shooting quickly etc. They have more advanced classes if you want something else.

Or try out some practice matches for IDPA/USPSA. They'll get you some good practice shooting/moving/drawing/reloading quickly pretty fast.

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post

Or try out some practice matches for IDPA/USPSA. They'll get you some good practice shooting/moving/drawing/reloading quickly pretty fast.
        This.

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post

I learned when shooting IDPA that under stress I consistantly forgot about the safety on my 1911 that I had been shooting for many years. I now carry an XP (can't stand the glock grip angle).

Comment

Agree with going to matches, especially for a way to shoot quickly and accurately.

Sure, there's a difference between matches and tactical training, but I don't buy into the guy who says "competition will get you killed on the street"

Comment

^^ That was probably made up by some fat dude in a gun store who shot like crap.

Comment

This weekend!

At the Orange Gun Club. Pistol Gunfighting taught by Jon Payne.

Suarez International specializes in Custom Glock and CZ Builds, Premium Match Grade Glock Slides, Quality Parts , and Gunsmithing.

Very good teacher, excellent program.

Comment

There is also down range academy...run by some Vets, I am thinking about joining their club. I have not taken any classes yet, just started looking into all of this.

Comment

My opinion is that you should take a class and get instruction before going and just shooting IDPA. You will not learn how to shoot at IDPA. You will learn how to shoot IDPA at IDPA (the scoring rule, safety rules, etc.) The right group might have a few folks give you pointers... but like most, everybody has a different approach and you will hear conflicting stuff. Your best bet is to learn the mechanics in a controlled instructed environment, learn the basics (of defensive hand gunning - like staying off the X, finding cover, drawing, tactical reloads, one handed reloads, basic communication with other friendlies, etc.) Then once you have these basics... go and compete in IDPA so you can keep your skills practiced and sharp.

I took a basic course at Shiloh and shot IDPA afterwards at Shiloh. I did just fine; but saw plenty of folks walk into IDPA after taking a CHL class and boy did they need a course in defensive pistol first.

I know a guy who does AWATT; never taken the course, but work a peek.

Comment

I actually had one of our step-daughters visit this weekend and she lives in Houston. They had their security alarms go off a week ago around 3am and her LIB TARD husband went downstairs with a BB Bat to "fend off the intruder." He also disabled the alarm system while searching for the "intruder" with his bat. Yeah...I know...can't fix stupid!!

Holli told me and her mom she was PO'D and really scared! So this past weekend we pulled a "few" out of the safe and did some basic education on Wheels vs. Semi's. I also had to tell her my "red neck attitude" of taking responsibility and protecting your self from my LEO experiences.

So....this young lady has asked me to find her the "appropriate" self defense home hand gun...but, I told her she HAS to take a course from the basics+ before I even give it to her??

So...watching and appreciate any "courses" from experienced and GOOD teachers? Sorry to hijack your thread but waiting for responses as well.

Comment

Originally posted by kumathebear View Post
                        I actually had one of our step-daughters visit this weekend and she lives in Houston. They had their security alarms go off a week ago around 3am and her LIB TARD husband went downstairs with a BB Bat to "fend off the intruder." He also disabled the alarm system while searching for the "intruder" with his bat. Yeah...I know...can't fix stupid!!

Holli told me and her mom she was PO'D and really scared! So this past weekend we pulled a "few" out of the safe and did some basic education on Wheels vs. Semi's. I also had to tell her my "red neck attitude" of taking responsibility and protecting your self from my LEO experiences.

So....this young lady has asked me to find her the "appropriate" self defense home hand gun...but, I told her she HAS to take a course from the basics+ before I even give it to her??

So...watching and appreciate any "courses" from experienced and GOOD teachers? Sorry to hijack your thread but waiting for responses as well.

Glad it turned out ok. All of my kids ended up with gun and bow nuts with really big dogs. Can't imagine where they got it from.......

Comment

I shot IDPA for five years. Some of the rules are pretty hokie but you will acquire good safe gun handling skills and learn to perform under stress. When the buzzer goes off to start a stage that great plan you had to ace the stage goes right out the window. There are several good instructors in the Houston area. If interested send me a pm.

Comment

Working...
                          X