Blackbuck hunting tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blackbuck hunting tips?

I have been several blackbuck hunts on a ranch that really isnt hunted a whole lot and there aren't any feeders, etc. There are several good mature rams and I have found one that I really like. I originally set up two pop up blinds near fence openings (they don't jump fences) and hand thew corn. Well, they werent attracted to corn and they always take the alternative route away from the blinds.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0062.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	24800171

Name:	DSC_0065.JPG
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	24800172

Name:	DSC_0217.JPG
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	24800173

Name:	DSC_0203.JPG
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	24800174

Name:	DSC_0271.JPG
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	24800175

Thus, I resolved to try and stalk them. The problem is that they are usually in an open field and when they are in the more dense areas, they spook way too easily. So far I have gotten within about 80 yards or so.

Does anyone have any input on how to hunt these fellas?

Also, I thought this was a neat photo. But not so neat if this is the constant view from my perspective!

Name:	DSC_0267.JPG
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	23922144

Comment

Just run em into those pens.....

Good luck trying to stalk up on em even in cover. I would get away from the fields and try to set up on the trails they are useing to get in and out of it.

Comment

I'd give it a while like you are doing, then I would bust out the 25-06 and take some revenge. Teach them that the open fields aren't that safe either.

Comment

Could try a decoy, just like hunting pronghorn on the open plains

Comment

Look for the big poop pile (about 2-3' round pile of blackbuck poop). Then hunt the trails that lead to that area. Maybe lightly sprinkle some corn. Brush blind with no popup? Put the corn down into something that will make them put their head down.

Comment

Maybe try hunting where they go to water.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                Look for the big poop pile (about 2-3' round pile of blackbuck poop). Then hunt the trails that lead to that area. Maybe lightly sprinkle some corn. Brush blind with no popup? Put the corn down into something that will make them put their head down.
                Good advice IMO.

Comment

If bowhunting... aim where they're gonna be, not where they are currently.

Comment

Originally posted by J-J Matt View Post
                    I'd give it a while like you are doing, then I would bust out the 25-06 and take some revenge. Teach them that the open fields aren't that safe either.
                    x2, give it a bit and if no bueno, pull the thunder stick and show em whos boss, lol good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                      Good advice, but there are a thousand big poop piles on this ranch and the blinds are set up near two of them. I think I will try brushing in the blinds a little better or just a brush blind.

Comment

Whew, spot and stalk finally paid off. Not a giant, but a hard earned trophy-to-me nonetheless.

I kept a huge oak tree between him and I while making a120 yard stalk that took 30 minutes. I kept moving around the tree as he moved so that he couldnt see me. The wind couldn't have been more perfect. As he was quartering away, he gave me a 45 yard shot that I just couldnt pass up. Luckily, I made the shot.

Name:	DSC_0039.JPG
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	23922293

Name:	DSC_0042.JPG
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	23922294

Name:	DSC_0046.JPG
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	23922295

Comment

congrats!!! nice BB

Comment

Thats awesome, congrats on a great bowhunting trophy.

Comment

That's awesome. I love those boogers. Congrats

Comment

Working...
                              X