Regular National Forest vs WMA Type II Areas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regular National Forest vs WMA Type II Areas

Have any of y'all noticed much of a difference between the Type II areas and regular National Forest in Sabine, Angelina, and Davy Crockett National forests?

- More hunters in one or the other?
    - More game animals in one or the other?
    - Better Habitat management in one or the other?

Etc. I am curious to hear your thoughts!

I think it's more on how the hunters that that hunt each area and the region some regions have more game than others and some hunters are just hunter and not worried about conservation of course I'm sure there's different game bag limits depending on the property

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Nobody has an opinion?

Comment

I have not noticed a difference. Where the difference lies is how deep into the forest one goes. When I hike in for a full 30 minutes where I do not see another hunter, I usually take a deer.

My point is to out work the other hunters. Go where the lazy have no intention of going, and your success factor goes up.

Comment

Originally posted by clayree View Post
          I have not noticed a difference. Where the difference lies is how deep into the forest one goes. When I hike in for a full 30 minutes where I do not see another hunter, I usually take a deer.

My point is to out work the other hunters. Go where the lazy have no intention of going, and your success factor goes up.
          It seems to me that the Type II areas have more closed roads and harder to get to areas than the regular forest. Have you noticed that?

I used to hunt the SHNF when I lived in The Woodlands. Now that I live in Tyler I can hunt any of the other three within an hour to an hour and a half from my house.

As I am learning them, I am trying to see if the Type II areas are anything special. Does the $40 extra for the APH permit scare off a lot of pressure?

Comment

I have hunted Type II and did not really notice it being any better. I had just as much, if not better luck, hunting the Crockett. Again, this is just my opinion....................

Comment

I hunt both areas and have noticed that there are few hunters on type II lands, as some don't want to pay that $48 fee and restrictions. Their old mindset is they shouldn't have to pay for something that use to be free. There very good areas on wma II lands. I use mountain bike to get back in areas where the lazy ones don't want to go. I even have my game cam still running without worrying of it being taken ( heck if they find it they can have it). Think overall few hunters out on wma II lands

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

Comment

Interested in learning

Comment

Interesting perspectives...

The SHNF was all type II and very crowded. I am glad I am closer to other areas now.

Comment

I didn't know that there were any National Forest left in Texas that aren't covered under Texas Annual public hunting permit except for Corp of Engineer land.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bowyer View Post
                      I didn't know that there were any National Forest left in Texas that aren't covered under Texas Annual public hunting permit except for Corp of Engineer land.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                      Only the SHNF is entirely Type II. The other three have Type II areas but are primarily open to public hunting with just a hunting license and hunter orange.

Comment

Decided to bring this back up for input. See if anybody else has 2 cents they want to throw in. Looking at my 2019 options and thinking about this topic again.

Comment

Originally posted by clayree View Post

Yes, this.

Yet on another: I have hunted close to roads and nailed doe on the 'outside', as in close to parking areas. Mostly in over hunted places/late season.

Did I just say that out loud? Well, crap!

Comment

Originally posted by Bowdark View Post
                            Yes, this.

Yet on another: I have hunted close to roads and nailed doe on the 'outside', as in close to parking areas. Mostly in over hunted places/late season.

Did I just say that out loud? Well, crap!
                            It seems to me that in the Type II areas the logging roads are usually gated off providing hard to reach areas but in the 'regular' forest there are few closed roads to get away from the pressure. Have you noticed that?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
                              It seems to me that in the Type II areas the logging roads are usually gated off providing hard to reach areas but in the 'regular' forest there are few closed roads to get away from the pressure. Have you noticed that?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yes I have. On pressured areas when I do a day hunt, I will double back to the parking areas and get off trail. I have hunted and scored a 1/4 mile from the pumpjack in Old Sabine. Noisy but the deer preferred that apparently. Not scientific, but deer are lazy by nature. We just kind of switch sides in pressure. I learned this hunting mulies/ elk in NM.

I need to add that other hunters venturing further into the woods make a difference.

In short, if its pressured, hunting where everyone isn't, usually works for me. Your mileage may vary.

I find it best to get there early and get in your tree as close as you can get to the parking areas without visual. Hearing a door slam ain't a bad thing. I used to go the farthest out that I could for naught. I am getting lazy like the deer.
                              Last edited by Bowdark; 10-06-2019, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X