X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My opinion:
    Noses are as good or better
    Eyes not as good
    Hearing as good when it’s one or two hogs, but groups make so much noise, especially eating, that they can’t hear as well
    Smarter or more paranoid ? Lots of deer are not targets, but in most scenarios, pigs get shot, that makes them even more wary.

I know this, where a deer might hear or see something and hang around to identify it, the hogs I’m familiar with are just.......GONE !

Comment

Originally posted by shinesintx View Post
      pigs are funny. I’ve had males bust out from the woods and start snorting like they own the place. Other times, i’ve seen mothers let their piglets eat corn out of my feeder and wait to see if the piglets get killed...and then they slink out. My property is just for play...which means i love having hogs around to kill.

For some reason, corn is stacking up around my feeder. I don’t think it’s been touched for 4-5 days. No deer, no pigs...it’s weird, never seen this in 8 years.

gmo corn?

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
        When a deer picks me off, it's generally from seeing me move from a distance, but up close on them, and I get away with a lot.

Pigs on the other hand never notice me, unless they are inside 40 yards, then I swear, they can see my eyes blink from behind me.

Like I said, I'm only 90% convinced, but I've been testing it, and I get away with a lot more on deer, than I do with pigs.

I love hunting them. Love sneaking around trying to set an ambush where I think they will be traveling by. It's actually proven (for me) to be much more challenging than doing the same for deer, and way more exciting.

Rick
        I would say pigs have a sixth sense or at least the older wiser ones do. I hunted a group of pigs that were showing up on my mother's place some years back. Most of the group, would come in quickly and eat the acorns we put out for them. But there was one pig in the group, he was very wise and seemed to know I was there, without seeing me, hearing me or smelling me. He would always keep other pigs between me and him. Then once he did finally move in closer, where I might have a shot at him. He would then start getting skittish or jumpy. Then almost always would only hang around where the main pile of acorns were, for maybe two minutes, then he would take off. Eventually the bigger older sows would notice he was gone, then one by one they would start taking off. They knew when he left, it was a good idea to get out of there also. So I usually wound up killing the pigs that were slow learners or chose food over life. I tried very hard to kill him, but never got a clean shot at him. Had I killed him, it would have been easy to kill as many of the rest of the group as I wanted.

Comment

Working...
        X