Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"I am a Bowhunter"- 9yr Old first Bow Deer w/Video!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"I am a Bowhunter"- 9yr Old first Bow Deer w/Video!

Let me start by saying- Thanks Dad and I love you for all your help in teaching me to hunt and taking the time to help me video and type up this hunt!

"Several years ago my dad won a bow at Bownanza and I was way too little for it. I was probably 4 yrs old when we won it! About 5 years later my dad tested me on how good I could pull it back. I could pull it back finally. My dad bought a new release for me and took my bow to Bass Pro Shops and got me a peep sight. He also got a kisser- button that he put on himself and had my arrows cut. It turns out the guy cut the arrows where dad marked them and didn't add the 4 inches as requested for room to adjust the bow. It turns out the arrows only worked for a couple weeks and as we increased the bow and let out the draw, they were too short when I feel comfortable. I had to practice by not pulling back all the way and my sights are dead on. A couple weeks later my dad bought new arrows that were already precut and just the right length. (Beeman ICS Hunter Juniors for bows under 40#) I shot a 85 grain practice tips and dad got me some new broad heads that were also 85 grain. I shoot about 33 pounds which is maxed out. I practiced for several weeks and my dad said I was ready. We planned a trip to Del Rio on Tuesday night. My dad found his old bow case and gave it to me. I was waiting and it was finally Thursday night! I was skipping school Friday for the 6 hr trip.

We got there about 2:30, unpacked and set up a ground blind. We brushed it in and went back to camp. We got settled and relaxed a bit. I had to get new camo because the rest was too small. I also had nothing for halloween so I was a navy seal sniper in my new camo I also like to play army and I had no camo, and also for hunting. Hey, it actually worked out great. We set out at about 5:00. We got into the blind and we were there for about 30 mins and a big healthy doe came out. I decided it was meat ( ?) It got in the angle finally and it was very cautious but it got comfortable. I thought about the prayer that my dad said on the way to the stand, "Dear God, please guide Trey's arrow as you guided David's stone to hit Goliath's head just right" (proud he remembered this )

My dad had the camera rolling and I drew back. Dad taught me to repeat before every shot- Anchor, Aim, Release- I slowly but smoothly pulled the trigger on my release. The arrow went and hit the deer right, and I mean right smack dab between two rib bones. It tore through both lungs dead center. I saw the arrow fly out the other side of the deer. It was a perfect pass through and it ran about 50 yards and got up against a tree. Me and my dad were crying like babies! It was so exciting! We went and followed the blood trail- it was solid red thick blood. We loaded up the doe and went to camp, It was all on video to share. We were only gone a short time so Mr. Bennatte said that if we were back so early we had to have had something in the jeep. Everyone in my Boy Scout troop shot this bow of mine weeks earlier and wondered if it could kill a deer.... Guess I showed them! "

That was Trey's Version- what else can I add Well done son and I am so proud of you!

Here is a few pics if you cant down load video!

Wont let me download any so just a sec and well log in and let dad post- could a moderator please correct title if they have time!
    Last edited by Trey Howard; 11-17-2010, 12:25 PM.

Here is the video

Trey's Bow Doe

and some pics...

Click image for larger version

Name:	a6cd0f2d-d66d-88ac.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	23963568

Name:	Picture 027.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	23963569

Name:	Picture 026.jpg
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	23963570

Name:	Picture 028.jpg
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	23963571

Name:	Picture 025.jpg
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	23963572

Name:	Picture 031.jpg
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	23963573

Name:	Picture 030.jpg
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	23963574

Name:	Picture 029.jpg
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	23963575

Name:	photo.JPG
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	23963576

Comment

Congrats and great post

Comment

Outstanding! Congrats!

Name:	Trey_Howard_001.jpg
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	23963577

Comment

dang good shot boy

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Congrats Trey! Excellent Shot!

Comment

Howard and Trey - IT DOESN'T GET ANY BETTER THAN THAT! Congrats on a nice doe and one HECK of a shot. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Great Job!!!!

Write down everything you can remember from that day starting from the time that you woke up till you went to bed and put your story in a safe place.

You will appreciate having that years from now.

Comment

Congrats on an awsome hunt and video

Comment

That is by far the best post on here in a while.

Congratulations Trey.

And way to go Dad.

Comment

that is awesome. my boys are 8 and 5. i cant wait for them to get a deer. this pass thru shot also makes me feel so much better about my wifes low poundage bow.

Comment

Congratulations little blood brother. Nice doe. This is a great post and wonderfully documented too. Beautiful perfect "shot" pictures too. Keep praying and keep thanking the herd boss upstairs. Ohhhh ... and as you grow, you will get new bows in the future but none will mean as much as the bow that you shot your first deer with. May God bless you and your father for giving you the opportunity.

Comment

honestly, I was very nervous to let him shoot a deer with this bow, but he wanted to so bad- That reason alone was not good enough, so we started working hard to prove his shooting and this bow. I also spent a couple hours at the Indoor-Outdoor store in Bellville (very nice guy and store btw) We both agreed that it was all in shot placement. I told Trey if he could not calm himself enough, I would not let him shoot. We did everything we could to keep that a reality and saved it for the after shoot. I looked over and saw him in tears and it tore me up! Proud as you can imagine.

He spend many evenings in the yard shooting and shooting. I finally let him only shoot one arrow at a time- and told him thats all it comes to! He practiced out to 20, but I knew I wanted him close. This doe worked in and calmed perfectly. This bow is maxed out at hair over 30 pounds. The 85 grain NAP thunderhead ate through this deer and was still razor sharp- shaving sharp... They have a bow called a Mission Craze that will adjust less than this up to 70 pounds and 30 inches without a press. Probably be Christmas gift... I hate how low quality the footage is, going to get a new camera SOON! Katelyn is up now- She is wanting a deer bad....

Thanks for letting us share...I am still flooded with emotions working on this video and post!

I also encourage everyone to start a book, I have to print more pics to update Treys, but I have his first rabbit, first deer, first shooting, etc.... I started my own book when I shot my first deer and have every picture and what I shot it with and where all in my own book. Stories flood my mind to flip through the pages and remember every deer I shot! Im up to right at 50 personally!
                            Last edited by Howard; 11-17-2010, 01:39 PM.

Comment

awsome

Comment

Working...
                              X